I am addicted to CR123 size lights now.

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
blfdemigod
blfdemigod's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 17:55
Posts: 520
Location: San Antonio, TX

atbglenn wrote:

jmpaul320 wrote:
Glenn how are you liking that c10?

To be honest, the build quality is great, but I'm not impressed with the tint nor the brightness. The Olight S10 Baton blows it away in both areas. The C10 is a bit too green for my taste...

This is the perfect excuse to mod it. Wondering is that C10 easy to take apart or solder/glued shut?

My collection 2 Small

Disclosure:

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

blfdemigod wrote:

atbglenn wrote:

jmpaul320 wrote:
Glenn how are you liking that c10?

To be honest, the build quality is great, but I'm not impressed with the tint nor the brightness. The Olight S10 Baton blows it away in both areas. The C10 is a bit too green for my taste...

This is the perfect excuse to mod it. Wondering is that C10 easy to take apart or solder/glued shut?

I have no idea since I've never tried to take mine apart. I keep it in my car as an emergency light with a regular CR123A installed just in case. Tint doesn't matter for this use...

BTW, I love modding stuff, and I've been an expert solderer for over 40 years. Yet I never tried modding a flashlight, although I did change the driver in my original Dry to extend the turbo mode from 30 seconds to 180 seconds.. 

Boycott Nike

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3670
Location: California
harry218 wrote:
jmpaul320 wrote:
atbglenn wrote:

jmpaul320 wrote:
Glenn how are you liking that c10?

To be honest, the build quality is great, but I’m not impressed with the tint nor the brightness. The Olight S10 Baton blows it away in both areas. The C10 is a bit too green for my taste…

i hate green tint!

i had an s10 for a bit and i think i sold it here on or cpf

i missed it and managed to grab a modded s10 L2 version with a XML2 4000k in it

I just sold my S10 too because of the tint but I saw on eBay they have a version with neutral white emitter. They asked for $15-$16 more than CW version that I bought for $34.

I have an early version S10 Ti with the neutral emitter. It also has a crappy tint… yellowish-green. But then again, all the older S10s had a lens coating that turned everything green. Supposedly they switched to a better coating in the L2 versions.

My aluminum S10 early version has a beautiful neutral tint with no green…. but I swapped in a 5000k neutral XML2 emitter and replaced the lens with a different 20mm one.

blfdemigod
blfdemigod's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 17:55
Posts: 520
Location: San Antonio, TX

atbglenn wrote:

 

BTW, I love modding stuff, and I've been an expert solderer for over 40 years. Yet I never tried modding a flashlight, although I did change the driver in my original Dry to extend the turbo mode from 30 seconds to 180 seconds.. 

That's some real mental fortitude to resist modding all your flashlights except 1. I don't consider 40 years to be an expert solderer.

You have become a solder grandmaster at that point!

My collection 2 Small

Disclosure:

hank
hank's picture
Online
Last seen: 19 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 8161
Location: Berkeley, California

What, none of you kids carries an Arc-LS?
http://www.dansdata.com/images/2lights/lsopen560.jpg

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 5767
Location: Long Island, New York

blfdemigod wrote:

atbglenn wrote:

 

BTW, I love modding stuff, and I've been an expert solderer for over 40 years. Yet I never tried modding a flashlight, although I did change the driver in my original Dry to extend the turbo mode from 30 seconds to 180 seconds.. 

That's some real mental fortitude to resist modding all your flashlights except 1. I don't consider 40 years to be an expert solderer.

You haven becoming a solder grandmaster at that point!

40 years of getting paid to not only to solder, but to troubleshoot as well. I worked in manufacturing circuit boards since the early 70's, and as a tech in a stereo store for a few years, and wiring and troubleshooting electrics on offset web printing presses for 30 years. Not once have I ever made a solder joint that went cold.. Guess what, that makes me a pro

One thing I forgot to mention, I've been building electronics kits from Heathkit, DynaKit, and various other kits since the late 60's..  

Boycott Nike

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT

so... i now have the following enroute to me

m11r 4000k from hidcanada
v10r u2 from hkequip
v11r xml2 neutral from hkequip
s10 xml2 4000k from vinh
spark sf3 t5 neutral from a sale on blf
m11r Sirius Ti modded to triple xpg2 r4 4000k from cpf
nitecore ex-10 from boaz

needless to say, im going to be selling a few lights lol to cover costs.

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

Racer
Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:39
Posts: 1792
Location: Hillsboro, OR

I think the Ti S10 is my next light. I love the Ti S15 but it’s as heavy as my stainless steel T10S! It does have a nice tint, though.
Also, whoever designed the clips on the S series was on crack. The $15 SolarStorm S series has a much better clip design.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9994
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

I have a JB RRT01. It’s a great light, but I find it’s too fat and stubby for my taste and the runtime is short. I’d much rather use a 1xAA / 1×14500 light.

I use a L3 L10-219 most of the time, but it lacks a decent clip and I really like bare-metal lights so I ordered a D25A Ti 219. I hope it gets here soon. A ZL SC52 is nice too, but there’s no Nichia 219 version, it’s ugly, and it’s still pretty wide for a 1xAA light. Best run time of anything in its class though, and the best mode choices too.

Racer
Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:39
Posts: 1792
Location: Hillsboro, OR

ToyKeeper wrote:
I have a JB RRT01. It’s a great light, but I find it’s too fat and stubby for my taste and the runtime is short. I’d much rather use a 1xAA / 1×14500 light.

I use a L3 L10-219 most of the time, but it lacks a decent clip and I really like bare-metal lights so I ordered a D25A Ti 219. I hope it gets here soon. A ZL SC52 is nice too, but there’s no Nichia 219 version, it’s ugly, and it’s still pretty wide for a 1xAA light. Best run time of anything in its class though, and the best mode choices too.

The L3 210-219 is an awesome light. I’ve been looking at the D25A Ti as well but didn’t know you could get it with the 219. Where did you order from? Thanks!

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3523
Location: Calif

I use a L3 L10-219 most of the time, but it lacks a decent clip and I really like bare-metal lights so I ordered a D25A Ti 219. I hope it gets here soon.

well, you’ll be happy with that offering! In my meager collection of lights, ~ 30 or so, the D25C Ti XM-L-U2, and my most expensive at at something like $65, is my favorite of all.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9994
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

Racer wrote:
The L3 L10-219 is an awesome light. I’ve been looking at the D25A Ti as well but didn’t know you could get it with the 219. Where did you order from? Thanks!

I ordered it from goinggear, but it seems they ran out and are waiting on more stock to come in. However, that was three months ago so I’m not sure if it’ll ever happen. They told me about a month ago that EagleTac was making more and they estimated they’d have some in about three weeks, but EagleTac has been really taking their time. I’m not too worried about the money, since goinggear will almost certainly send a refund if they can’t get the item back in stock, but… I’m getting a little impatient. Usually only Zebralight takes this long.

If I had ordered a day sooner, I’d probably have received it three months ago… but I didn’t even know it existed until the last few were already being claimed.

In any case, you might not be able to buy one until the special edition rolls around again in 2015. It’ll probably be available for a week or so around the holidays, and then not again until the next year.

alex21
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 10/23/2011 - 08:26
Posts: 248
Location: Melbourne

I have the d25c Ti and it is very nice, recommended! Perfect pocket clip as well.

Does anyone think the RRT-01 is too large for keychain use? I have the mini 01 right now and it is fine, the RRT-01 is 2cm longer and few mm’s thicker.. want something with better modes. There are the Peak offerings as well I know but they use QTC which can be finicky

Woody
Woody's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 02/20/2012 - 17:08
Posts: 1636
Location: London

alex21 wrote:
I have the d25c Ti and it is very nice, recommended! Perfect pocket clip as well.

Does anyone think the RRT-01 is too large for keychain use? I have the mini 01 right now and it is fine, the RRT-01 is 2cm longer and few mm’s thicker.. want something with better modes. There are the Peak offerings as well I know but they use QTC which can be finicky

Personally, I think the RRT-01 is far too big for keychain use. Even my smallest AA light – the Thrunite Saber – is too big. Only AAA will do for me.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3670
Location: California

Woody wrote:
alex21 wrote:
I have the d25c Ti and it is very nice, recommended! Perfect pocket clip as well.

Does anyone think the RRT-01 is too large for keychain use? I have the mini 01 right now and it is fine, the RRT-01 is 2cm longer and few mm’s thicker.. want something with better modes. There are the Peak offerings as well I know but they use QTC which can be finicky

Personally, I think the RRT-01 is far too big for keychain use. Even my smallest AA light – the Thrunite Saber – is too big. Only AAA will do for me.

Agreed.

I even find AAA too big for keychain use actually. Button cell lights are more comfortable.

The RRT-01 is a nice size to carry in your pocket next to your keychain though.

Racer
Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:39
Posts: 1792
Location: Hillsboro, OR

The Saber is a little bit wider in diameter than say an L10 or D25A mini. I owned all three at one time, but gave the D25A mini away, and now I think I want the D25A clicky instead. It looks like the XM-L2 version of the Ti is obtainable, so I’ll probably just go with that. Someday if the 219 version is obtainable, then I’ll probably buy it too Smile

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 9994
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

I wouldn’t want to put a RRT01 on a keychain. It’s way too big, too easy to accidentally rotate the control ring, and too easy to scratch with keys.

I use a DQG Tiny AAA IV instead. It and the Preon P0 are probably the smallest commercially-available AAA lights on the market, it doesn’t get noticeably scratched by keys thanks to being stainless steel, it comes in neutral white, it has a nice wide beam for up-close use, it has no PWM, and its two modes seem just about right. I don’t think I’ve even had to charge the battery since I got it ~6 months ago, and I use it almost every time I go outside at night. Quite a nice upgrade from the iTP A3 EOS I used before.

However, it’s a little pricey and the threads could be better.

Racer
Racer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2013 - 00:39
Posts: 1792
Location: Hillsboro, OR

The I3S is a nice upgrade from the previous incarnations. It also has no PWM, moonlight mode and a build quality on par with more expensive lights. Though all my keychains have an E01 on them, mainly for the fact that they are indestructible. The first time I saw one of the kids accidentally drop my keychain on concrete, I took the nicer lights like the LD01 off and put on the bomb-proof lights, which have worked out very well. In an emergency, any friends and family who borrow my vehicles (and it’s a long list) will have light, guaranteed. Even my mother in law who lives with us is clumsy.

alex21
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 10/23/2011 - 08:26
Posts: 248
Location: Melbourne

Thanks guys, will consider your suggestions Smile

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

I think your addicted to ALL of them!!! I see you buying a lot of Vinhs throw monsters and the Flood monster “Noah”!!!! Wink

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

blfdemigod
blfdemigod's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 10/03/2013 - 17:55
Posts: 520
Location: San Antonio, TX

Racer wrote:
The I3S is a nice upgrade from the previous incarnations. It also has no PWM, moonlight mode and a build quality on par with more expensive lights. Though all my keychains have an E01 on them, mainly for the fact that they are indestructible. The first time I saw one of the kids accidentally drop my keychain on concrete, I took the nicer lights like the LD01 off and put on the bomb-proof lights, which have worked out _very_ well. In an emergency, any friends and family who borrow my vehicles (and it's a long list) will have light, guaranteed. Even my mother in law who lives with us is clumsy.

I concur with the Olight i3/s! Perfect for keychains, and 200+ lumens with an efest 10440! Looks good too! $15 at IS before they sold out! Laughing

My collection 2 Small

Disclosure:

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT
wolfdog1226 wrote:
I think your addicted to ALL of them!!! I see you buying a lot of Vinhs throw monsters and the Flood monster “Noah”!!!! Wink

hi capo Wink

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

ACruceSalus
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 9 months ago
Joined: 03/31/2014 - 22:12
Posts: 125
blfdemigod wrote:

Racer wrote:
The I3S is a nice upgrade from the previous incarnations. It also has no PWM, moonlight mode and a build quality on par with more expensive lights. Though all my keychains have an E01 on them, mainly for the fact that they are indestructible. The first time I saw one of the kids accidentally drop my keychain on concrete, I took the nicer lights like the LD01 off and put on the bomb-proof lights, which have worked out very well. In an emergency, any friends and family who borrow my vehicles (and it’s a long list) will have light, guaranteed. Even my mother in law who lives with us is clumsy.

I concur with the Olight i3/s! Perfect for keychains, and 200+ lumens with an efest 10440! Looks good too! $15 at IS before they sold out! Laughing

I picked up a pair of Thrunite Ti2 when Amazon had them BOGO so $5.50 each was a nice deal. My son was eyeing mine so I gave it to him and I’m now looking for a new EDC. So to tie this into the original topic what are the advantages and disadvantages of the CR123? I’m already managing 18650s, AA, AAA, C, D, and 9-volt. Why would I want to add another form factor?

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT

i just picked up a pd 12 for $10 after visa reward points on amazon Smile

 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4104hYGKDuL.jpg

 

still looking for a decently priced xtar wk42 - if you have one and want to sell let me know!

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3523
Location: Calif

I know it’s most likely discussed in other threads, but since this one is specifically for CR123 lights, what GOOD 16340 cells are you guys using, if there are any? I have a recommendation on ‘white Trustfires’.

thanks!

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT

saypat wrote:
I know it’s most likely discussed in other threads, but since this one is specifically for CR123 lights, what GOOD 16340 cells are you guys using, if there are any? I have a recommendation on ‘white Trustfires’.

thanks!

after comparing several cells myself – and also comparing hjks reviews – i find that efest imr v2s, aw imr, and kinoko imr work best for me

eagletac, trustfire flame, xtar and nitecore 16430 all do ok, but have much more voltage drop and less capacity if used on the higher modes that demand 1-2 amps and sometimes more

the best of the best as far as holding voltage appears to be efest 16340 per hjks tests, with aw and kinoko right behind

they are all +/- 500mah

richard sells efest v2s for a good price http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&p...

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

jmpaul320
jmpaul320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 05/22/2012 - 09:06
Posts: 4186
Location: CT

here is a comparator hjk did for 16430 if you want to take a look at different cells vs each other http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php

Would you mind keeping the wrong flashlight?
Best wish, May
Tmart service team

 

Soumil wrote:

PLEASE HELP ME GEARBEsT! IM LITERALLY CRYING!

 

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

saypat wrote:
I know it’s most likely discussed in other threads, but since this one is specifically for CR123 lights, what GOOD 16340 cells are you guys using, if there are any? I have a recommendation on ‘white Trustfires’.

thanks!

I have 3 that work well,Kinoko IMR 700mAh, Nitecore NL186 Protected 650mAh and an AW IMR 550 mAh.

Not to bust your shoes!!,,,I have never known ANY battery ending in “Fire”[Trustfire/Ultrafire] to be a good, authentic and safe battery!

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

CRX wrote:
I recently got some red imr 16340 trustfires from FT that seem pretty good, i use efest too and a couple nitecores that aren’t that impressive.
You wrote the EXACT same thing in post #58,,,,,,,,,,,except now you added that the Nitecores are not that impressive!! I wonder if my post had anything to do with that? Hint: Trustfire/Ultrafire comment!

lol!! Wink

EDIT: Now you DELETED post #58,,,,,,,,,,and it became mine because I was next in line!!! lol!

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 34 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3817
Location: Scotland

Typing on fone & had a cupl… Smile

Pages