Need help repairing Ultrafire U4-MCU (Replacing Pill)

41 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
Need help repairing Ultrafire U4-MCU (Replacing Pill)

Today as I was playing around with my Ultrafire U4-MCU the LED dome fell off inside of the reflector.  I took the light apart and it wouldn't stick back on, so i pulled out the pill and it seperated and part of it broke.  My question is what do I need to repair my light? The reflector is aluminum and has a hole that looks to be 13/16ths of an inch in diameter that the pill slides into, it has no threads. Here is a couple of pictures showing the broken piece inside the pill and the reflector. Is there any way to replace the pill? I really liked this light, would hate to have to throw it away! Thanks in advance guys.

 

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/icemurder/2011-09-28_20-42-43_902.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/icemurder/2011-09-28_20-48-39_923.jpg

 

Edited by: 08CivicSi on 09/28/2011 - 20:52
how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

What you need to is to buy a new driver and new Led.

Also Thermal glue. You have to decide what LED you want  and the suitable driver for it.

Get a soldering iron and de-solder the Led  from the red and black wires. Do the same for the driver. Then measure both for the size.

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

how2 wrote:

What you need to is to buy a new driver and new Led.

Also Thermal glue. You have to decide what LED you want  and the suitable driver for it.

Get a soldering iron and de-solder the Led  from the red and black wires. Do the same for the driver. Then measure both for the size.

 

Ok, desoldered the LED and the empty spot is 9/16th of an inch.  The driver is 11/16th.  I would like to stick with a new driver that has modes for High, Med, and Low, strobe is fine too.  I use 18650 batteries in this light, but also like that it had the option to use 3AAA, so a driver that will work with that would be great. I have no idea what i'm looking for Shocked lol

 

It'd also be great if there's somewhere I can order the parts from that doesn't take a month to receive, like DX Smile

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

Can you give it mm please

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

Unfortunately I have nothing to measure in MM. But according to Google:

(LED) 9/16th Inch = 14.29mm

(Driver) 11/16th Inch = 17.46mm

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

I you need a led which sits on a 14mm base and the driver needs to be 17mm.

What type of led do you want see this

The LED you have is a XRE this is good for throw.

XPG has more flood but can throw as well

XML Has even more flood and and throw more  than XPG.

Costs for XRE is between $3 and $5, XPG $5.5 to $8, XML $8 to $12.

Choose your led and then we can choose a driver.

XRE produces 230Lumens

XPG produes 350Lumens

XML Produes 800 Lumens.

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

how2 wrote:

I you need a led which sits on a 14mm base and the driver needs to be 17mm.

What type of led do you want see this

The LED you have is a XRE this is good for throw.

XPG has more flood but can throw as well

XML Has even more flood and and throw Than XPG.

Costs for XRE is between $3 and $5, XPG $5.5 to $8, XML $8 to $12.

Choose your led and then we can choose a driver.

XRE produces 230Lumens

XPG produes 350Lumens

XML Produes 800 Lumens.

 

I think XPG would work well for this light, around 350 lumens would be great

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

Are you based in the U.S?

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london
E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

08CivicSi wrote:

Today as I was playing around with my Ultrafire U4-MCU the LED dome fell off inside of the reflector.  I took the light apart and it wouldn't stick back on, so i pulled out the pill and it seperated and part of it broke.  My question is what do I need to repair my light? The reflector is aluminum and has a hole that looks to be 13/16ths of an inch in diameter that the pill slides into, it has no threads. Here is a couple of pictures showing the broken piece inside the pill and the reflector. Is there any way to replace the pill? I really liked this light, would hate to have to throw it away! Thanks in advance guys.

 

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/icemurder/2011-09-28_20-42-43_902.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/icemurder/2011-09-28_20-48-39_923.jpg

 

Do it right do it once here are parts based in the US three days from order to your door.

Shiningbeam for parts decide what tint do you want go XML 2.8 amps .

 

XML 4B tint                                                                        XML 1A tint

I would get this emitter

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-106/**NEW**-Cree-XM-dsh-L-T5/Detail

you want this driver

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-...

 if you like the tint on the right here is the link to that emmiter

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-34/Cree-XM-dsh-L-T6-LED/Detail

You just need some adhesive and you will have 800 lumens of vanilla ice cream yummm

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

Yes I am in the U.S. and that driver and LED look fine Smile

Will probably order them tomorrow, thank you so much!!!

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

E1320 wrote:

08CivicSi wrote:

Today as I was playing around with my Ultrafire U4-MCU the LED dome fell off inside of the reflector.  I took the light apart and it wouldn't stick back on, so i pulled out the pill and it seperated and part of it broke.  My question is what do I need to repair my light? The reflector is aluminum and has a hole that looks to be 13/16ths of an inch in diameter that the pill slides into, it has no threads. Here is a couple of pictures showing the broken piece inside the pill and the reflector. Is there any way to replace the pill? I really liked this light, would hate to have to throw it away! Thanks in advance guys.

 

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/icemurder/2011-09-28_20-42-43_902.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/icemurder/2011-09-28_20-48-39_923.jpg

 

Do it right do it once here are parts based in the US three days from order to your door.

Shiningbeam for parts decide what tint do you want go XML 2.8 amps .

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-106/**NEW**-Cree-XM-dsh-L-T5/Detail

you want this driver

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-...

 

You just need some adhesive and you will have 800 lumens of vanilla ice cream yummm

 

Id rather get a cheaper emitter than 12$ because I have 2 of these lights, so i'll probably upgrade both of them at the same time Smile

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

He needs a 14mm base for the LED. 16mm will be too big.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

This coupon code my work

CPFuser

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

You can get XMLs from LCK LED for $7 bucks but you are going to wait a month for your parts to get here from China.

http://www.lck-led.com/p853/Cree-XLamp-XM-L-Cool-White-LEDs-w/16mm-Board...@3A/product_info.html

You can get the drivers from KD for 4 bucks instead of 7 but again you are going t wait a month.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11088

You want it done right or you want it done right now only difference is price and patience.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

how2 wrote:

He needs a 14mm base for the LED. 16mm will be too big.

Gonna have to go with cuttter than if he wants XMLs in 14mm

http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+XM-L

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london
E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

how2 wrote:

XML on 14mm base

AMC7135*8+MCU 2800mAh 5-Mode Circuit Board

 

 

Those are better choices sorry

I am distracted by the Red Sox game if they don't win this game I am going to burn my damn house down.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

E1320 wrote:

how2 wrote:

XML on 14mm base

AMC7135*8+MCU 2800mAh 5-Mode Circuit Board

 

 

Those are better choices sorry

I am distracted by the Red Sox game if they don't win this game I am going to burn my damn house down.

Do you want to know where to get a cheap lighter from?Laughing

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

how2 wrote:

XML on 14mm base

AMC7135*8+MCU 2800mAh 5-Mode Circuit Board

 

 

 

Ok, I decided to order the parts you suggested from ShiningBeam for now to fix the broken light.  But i'm planning on ordering the XM-L and driver you suggested to upgrade the identical light that I have in the (hopefully) very near future  Smile

 

Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it! Can't wait to get the broken light working again!

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

08CivicSi wrote:

how2 wrote:

XML on 14mm base

AMC7135*8+MCU 2800mAh 5-Mode Circuit Board

 

 

 

Ok, I decided to order the parts you suggested from ShiningBeam for now to fix the broken light.  But i'm planning on ordering the XM-L and driver you suggested to upgrade the identical light that I have in the (hopefully) very near future  Smile

 

Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it! Can't wait to get the broken light working again!

You can't go wrong with Shiningbeam you will have an e-mail by noon from Bryan saying your parts already shipped and you should have them by Saturday. You pay a little more but the service is unmatched.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

E1320 wrote:

08CivicSi wrote:

how2 wrote:

XML on 14mm base

AMC7135*8+MCU 2800mAh 5-Mode Circuit Board

 

 

 

Ok, I decided to order the parts you suggested from ShiningBeam for now to fix the broken light.  But i'm planning on ordering the XM-L and driver you suggested to upgrade the identical light that I have in the (hopefully) very near future  Smile

 

Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it! Can't wait to get the broken light working again!

You can't go wrong with Shiningbeam you will have an e-mail by noon from Bryan saying your parts already shipped and you should have them by Saturday. You pay a little more but the service is unmatched.

 

Have never ordered from them, but I am excited that i've found a reliable and quick US dealer! Can't wait to get the parts! I see they are in NY, so I should be able to get them quickly and get this light put back together Smile

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

Sorry guys, just thought of 2 last questions. Can I use computer Cpu thermal paste that I have for the led? And also, to switch the led to the xm-l in my working model of this light, do I have to change the driver also?

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

08CivicSi wrote:

Sorry guys, just thought of 2 last questions. Can I use computer Cpu thermal paste that I have for the led? And also, to switch the led to the xm-l in my working model of this light, do I have to change the driver also?

You don't have to change the driver but it might be brighter if you do it depends if it is direct drive on high try it out and test it with a DMM. Computer thermal paste is perfect, same stuff basically.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
Alright my parts shipped yesterday and will hopefully be here tomorrow. I noticed on the damaged driver that there are 3 wires, pos, neg, and what looked like a ground to the pill. Will the new driver have a spot for this ground wire? And will it tell me where to connect it?
08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

Anyone?

devman
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 04/27/2011 - 06:24
Posts: 825
Location: Hong Kong / Vancouver, Canada

Hey Civic,

The ground to the pill is the negative electrical connection to the battery.  Your replacement driver won't have that (most don't).  Instead, you'll find that a copper trace has been left around the circumference of the board, on the battery-facing side... just bridge this to the pill with a drop of solder, and you'll be laughing.

Good luck!

08CivicSi
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2011 - 19:02
Posts: 348
Location: Greensboro, NC USA

Thanks Smile It took a little modifying to make the new driver work in the old pill, but it works! Only gripe is that the new LED doesn't meet up flush with the hole in the reflector like the old one did, because it's much smaller. And I was unable to re-use the plastic ring that went between the pill and reflector because it used to fit around the old LED and it is too big for the new one, but it doesn't look like the wires from the LED have any chance of touching the reflector. But oh well, my light works again and that's the important part! Thanks for the help!

devman
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 04/27/2011 - 06:24
Posts: 825
Location: Hong Kong / Vancouver, Canada

Glad it worked, man.  Plus, now you've got an excuse to slip in a new LED someday when you get bored... Silly

You might be able to get away without an isolation disk, but if find you're having electrical shorts, you can often use those hole-reinforcement disks from a stationary store or a nylon/kapton disk from a hardware store.

Take care!

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

Awesome glad it worked out for you. Make sure you at least put some electrical tape in the shape of the plastic ring on the reflector, if it hits the wires it will cook something for sure. I love it when a broken light works again.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

how2
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

08CivicSi can you put some pic please

Pages