Olight S2A review (TIR,XM-L2,550lm,2xAA)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
viperxp
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 days ago
Joined: 08/01/2015 - 13:52
Posts: 86
Location: Israel
Olight S2A review (TIR,XM-L2,550lm,2xAA)

Greetings,
The review will be dedicated to the newest member of the Baton family, the Baton S2A.

So, what’s special about this light?

1. It is being powered by widely available AA sized cells, and bundled with two AA Lithium batteries (1.5v non-rechargeable)
2. There are several versions of this light. The light is made from aluminum, but the handle is covered with silicone, that has fluorescent effect.
3. TIR optics – a great choice to close range illumination. The hotspot is huge.
4. It has almost all the Baton series features we love – moonlight mode, steel bezel, tail-standing ability. This one misses the tailcap magnet.

Shall we start?

The flashlight arrives in a small plastic box. The box has most of the technical specs of the light on it, and you have a clear view of the light. In case of this flashlight it is important, as you can find the color that fits your taste best.

The flashlight comes with pre-installed lithium batteries, user manual, lanyard and that’s about it. There is a strong ring that holds the flashlight in place in the box, but it is too thick to be used as a o-ring in this flashlight.


The build quality is superb, as expected from respectable company such as Olight. The flashlight feels very light with Lithium batteries installed, and gets reasonable heavy with Eneloops.

The button has been modified once again. Now it is made of black silicone, that lights throw while the flashlight is on. The button is reasonably firm, there is a crip click.

Operation:

A single click will turn the flashlight on and off. There is a memory for all modes, including moonlight and excluding strobe.
Holding the button while the flashlight is on will switch modes in order low-med-high-max-low-… The moonlight mode is not part of the flow.
Double clicking from off position will turn the flashlight on in turbo mode.
Holding the button for more than a second will turn the flashlight on in moonlight mode, triple clicking from any mode will enable strobe mode.
There is a off timer function. Double clicking will enable timer when the flashlight is on. Single click of the flashlight will tell that 3-minute timer is enabled, and two blinks will notify that 9-minute timer is on. Double clicking the key will witch timer modes, that work for the strobe mode as well.

There are gold-plated springs in the head and the tailcap.

The flashlight sits comfortably in hand, but it is not a compact light by today’s standards.

Different versions of the flashlight. Personally I like the orange best. The fluorescent function works, especially if you light at the flashlight from another flashlight for a while.

Some measurements

Not bad at all, considering the huge hotspot. As we can see Eneloop Pro that I used are providing more current than the lithium batteries.

Does it light?

A very nice light, it has a lot of it and almost all the light is being concentrated in a huge hostspot. I could not see any mean tints, the light is pure cold white. No PWM or noises were detected at any mode.

Conclusion, final words

Another great flashlight from Olight. As a present, or a flashlight for folks that are not ready to move to lithium batteries it can be a great choice, considering high build quality, 5 year warranty and unique looks.

I would like to thank Olight for providing me the review samples
———————————————————————————-
Questions? Suggestions? Let me know and I will be happy to assist.

Edited by: sb56637 on 09/02/2017 - 11:48
daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

I somehow like this light, maybe because of the glow in the dark silicone they used and the new olight look with the blue bezel. Its something different, the only thing i dont like is the silicone looks like a dirt and lint magnet and i wonder how durable this is over time. Im also interested in the runtimes but not with the lithium batteries, with eneloops. I maybe buy one in grey or blue

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

Nice review, thanks!

There is no way to get to moon then passing turbo?

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1861
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

What are those measurements in? Lux? You forgot to tell us the measurement unit.

Too bad Olight only sells cool white. I already have an S1, an S2 and an S30 in that color and I’m tired of it, but don’t have the dosh or really the interest to pay through the nose for one of the “special metal” models just because of the emitter. I’m gonna have to try my hand at modding someday.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2727
Location: France, Angers

Jack Kellar wrote:
I’m gonna have to try my hand at modding someday.

Have a look at my personnal YouTube channel, I made some (raw) videos on how to swap emitter of both S1 and S2…

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1861
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

X3 wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
I’m gonna have to try my hand at modding someday.

Have a look at my personnal YouTube channel, I made some (raw) videos on how to swap emitter of both S1 and S2…

Wicked! Then I’m also gonna use that knowledge to try and fix an S1 of mine that has some terrible standby drain.

Can you PM me a link please?

daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

The Miller wrote:
Nice review, thanks!

There is no way to get to moon then passing turbo?


I guess this olight s2a is like any other olight s series light, you can quick access turbo from off with a long click from off. You can directly access turbo with double click. But honestly, who needs to use moonlight and afterwards turbo?
Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1861
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

daninho wrote:
The Miller wrote:
Nice review, thanks!

There is no way to get to moon then passing turbo?


I guess this olight s2a is like any other olight s series light, you can quick access turbo from off with a long click from off. You can directly access turbo with double click. But honestly, who needs to use moonlight and afterwards turbo?

Actually, it’s a long click from off to moonlight and a double-click from off to turbo.

And no, this interface is just like the S2’s, which has no turbo access from moonlight save for cycling all modes, or turning it off and then double-clicking.

viperxp
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 days ago
Joined: 08/01/2015 - 13:52
Posts: 86
Location: Israel

Jack Kellar wrote:
What are those measurements in? Lux? You forgot to tell us the measurement unit.

Too bad Olight only sells cool white. I already have an S1, an S2 and an S30 in that color and I’m tired of it, but don’t have the dosh or really the interest to pay through the nose for one of the “special metal” models just because of the emitter. I’m gonna have to try my hand at modding someday.

Yep, those are Lux in a meter distance from the light.

daninho
daninho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 10/08/2014 - 10:29
Posts: 370
Location: Germany

Jack Kellar wrote:
daninho wrote:
The Miller wrote:
Nice review, thanks!

There is no way to get to moon then passing turbo?


I guess this olight s2a is like any other olight s series light, you can quick access turbo from off with a long click from off. You can directly access turbo with double click. But honestly, who needs to use moonlight and afterwards turbo?

Actually, it’s a long click from off to moonlight and a double-click from off to turbo.

And no, this interface is just like the S2’s, which has no turbo access from moonlight save for cycling all modes, or turning it off and then double-clicking.

Yes i made a type mistake here. directly access to turbo is double click and long press from off is moonlight, i have three S series lights, dont know why i made this mistake. I dont have the S2, so i dont know how this light behaves.

quetzalcoatl
quetzalcoatl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/25/2016 - 05:17
Posts: 540
Location: Northern county

530lm .. 2aa and silicon dust-catching cylinder .. no thanks!

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2153
Location: Canada
Jack Kellar wrote:
Too bad Olight only sells cool white.

+1

I think Olight and 4sevens used to be involved together somehow? That might explain Olight’s reluctance to use anything other than neutral white. 4sevens absolutely refuses to do anything other than cool white. Pity, because most good companies now see the value in producing neutral versions.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1861
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
Too bad Olight only sells cool white.

+1

I think Olight and 4sevens used to be involved together somehow? That might explain Olight’s reluctance to use anything other than neutral white. 4sevens absolutely refuses to do anything other than cool white. Pity, because most good companies now see the value in producing neutral versions.


Er, I think you got that inverted. 4Sevens refuses to do anything other than neutral white, while Olight only does cool white.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2153
Location: Canada
Jack Kellar wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
Jack Kellar wrote:
Too bad Olight only sells cool white.

+1

I think Olight and 4sevens used to be involved together somehow? That might explain Olight’s reluctance to use anything other than neutral white. 4sevens absolutely refuses to do anything other than cool white. Pity, because most good companies now see the value in producing neutral versions.


Er, I think you got that inverted. 4Sevens refuses to do anything other than neutral white, while Olight only does cool white.

What models of 4sevens lights are available in neutral white? They’re almost all exclusively cool white. The only neutral white I can find on their website is a special edition version of the Atom A0. Everything else is cool white. Sick