My first McGizmo

47 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK
My first McGizmo

And first impressions don’t disappoint! The machining is exquisite as is the general design of the whole package.

I only received this today, so have yet to experience the beauty of the beam, I’m sure that will also live up to the expectations.
The only ones I will really be curious in comparing this to is my Malkoff MD2 M61 Nichia 219b Hi/Lo and my HDS EDC Rotary.

This is the XML2 with the HIVE driver I also have the XPG2 HIVE on it’s way to me but because I live in Scotland, it does take a while to get to me.

Edited by: Dr Forinor on 12/13/2016 - 11:35
emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1602
Location: Georgia, USA

Ok, not trying to take this thread in a negative direction, but can you tell me what appeals about these lights? Yes I’m sure the body is exquisitely machined, and if that’s all there is to it then that’s fine, but is there more to it? The body looks nice, but its not especially fancy. The driver is probably fine for what it is, but its basically a three-mode clicky, right? With some programmability I’m sure. But they’re not driven very hard as I understand it so its not really a very bright light. I don’t mind spending money on an interesting flashlight and have other expensive lights, I just don’t “get” McGizmo’s.

So can you or other McGizmo fans educate me?

And PS, to keep this more on a “blf” level, are these things easily modded? Does it have a normal mcpcb in it or is it a one-piece driver/emitter setup? Does McGizmo offer a host-only option? Smile

MILSPEC
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 10/12/2016 - 06:02
Posts: 551

nice light! I especially like the “machined” look, very clean without interrupting design elements. nice fins too

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

He mainly is known for his beam. It’s designed to be able to be widespread with a nice transition from the hotspot to the very edge, but whilst also maintaining decent enough throw for at least EDC uses. And it is a sublime beam, and that’s what he is known for.

For the machining, that’s one aspect, full titanium and although he doesn’t state that it’s a dive torch, he actually takes it diving with him – something to suggest the standards for his work.
He uses sapphire for his lens, just as a quick note.

He doesn’t drive them hard, but as you may know in very dark condition, around 250-300 lumens is usually enough, which is about what his max level is.
The McClicky switch is a joy to use, a forward clicky that you use to skip the levels.

Yes his lights are fully moddable and people do that, with triple emitters and custom boards etc etc.

Now obviously you will pay a premium because it is a “custom” light and it’s a luxury form of one, so you can’t exactly say “well titanium isn’t that expensive”, it’s not that simple.

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester

emarkd wrote:
Ok, not trying to take this thread in a negative direction, but can you tell me what appeals about these lights? Yes I’m sure the body is exquisitely machined, and if that’s all there is to it then that’s fine, but is there more to it? The body looks nice, but its not especially fancy. The driver is probably fine for what it is, but its basically a three-mode clicky, right? With some programmability I’m sure. But they’re not driven very hard as I understand it so its not really a very bright light. I don’t mind spending money on an interesting flashlight and have other expensive lights, I just don’t “get” McGizmo’s.

So can you or other McGizmo fans educate me?

And PS, to keep this more on a “blf” level, are these things easily modded? Does it have a normal mcpcb in it or is it a one-piece driver/emitter setup? Does McGizmo offer a host-only option? Smile

As you are a HDS owner, with sapphire glass, clip etc can push close to $400(not far off the haiku cost). But only 200lm……….you know its hard to explain when an s2+ can outshine it in brightness. But it does not have “that beam” or UI etc………..The mcClicky is of dons and used in the haiku, he also invented the mule! Lots of history, perfectly machined titanium…………along with the HDS quite possibly the best EDC flashlight(completely subjective of course) but many would agree. The build, materials, everything is all thought out to the finest detail(like HDS in many ways).

I guess till you hold one it may not make sense, when you do it will fall into place as did the HDS…….

Mod wise yes, the engine can be swapped out, driver etc too…………..can be quite moddable, from mule to triple. Mine has been to tana for a triple nichia 219B and tana firmware.

Why by a $5000 rolex when a $30 casio tells the time just as well…………..(just an example).

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

Ven, DUDE, haha, nice to see you here too!

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester

Hey there doc Thumbs Up

Its a tough call(as with many expensive/custom lights) to explain in words why a light is special in many ways. Just like a $400 sebenza is a special knife…….buy once cry once and have for life.

MILSPEC
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 10/12/2016 - 06:02
Posts: 551

I’d rather have a nice EDC light than a watch or expensive cuff-links. really cool collection, ven

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester
MILSPEC wrote:
I’d rather have a nice EDC light than a watch or expensive cuff-links. really cool collection, ven

Thanks for kind words, yes an EDC light has a lot of use for sure. I like to wear a watch, but certainly not expensive ones as i am kind of clumsy Silly

emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1602
Location: Georgia, USA

Yeah I hope my comments didn’t come across in a negative way. I didn’t intend that. Like you said Ven, I’ve bought expensive lights too. I could’ve bought a McGizmo for what I’ve got invested in my HDS Rotary. But most times I can usually immediately see why an expensive light is so. The McGizmo appeal, so far, has eluded me, so I’m just trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I should just order one and see for myself. Smile

scianiac
scianiac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/05/2015 - 18:50
Posts: 211
Location: Northeast, US

That is some really beautiful machining. It takes some real skill, time and effort to get such a nice surface finish. The appeal in lights like these is in the quality and care it took to build them. They are not just pumped out in some factory by workers would could care less about the end product. They are designed and built by someone whose passion is flashlights. There is just something special about having something that so much work was put into. Like a really nice hand made solid walnut table, it functions just as good as a folding table from wally world. They both hold stuff you put on them. But you’re not going to admire the folding table every time you walk by, and think about the craftsmanship that went into it, the care to make sure every joint is just perfect. It’s that little fuzzy feeling you get from having something really nice.

Sometimes we get a little obsessed with performance and cheapness here on BLF, I know I do. We should appreciate all lights even if they aren’t exactly to our liking. Many of our members machine very nice lights like these and while the materials were relatively cheap if they made them to sell they would cost just as much. The labor put into making them would add a tremendous cost.

Co-owner/Engineer at STO Flashlights.

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester

Not at all, i often thought and wondered the same……..heck i do now with many lights, watches, knives……….cars! We check things out, weigh up value and make a decision on most things we buy,

Check some reviews out, great one from Jim

When you get time(if not seen) have a watch, he goes into some detail and why it appealed to him……….worth the watch imho.

Take from there, i could not see you regretting it……..if you do you can sell and someone will buy it within an hour!

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester

scianiac wrote:
That is some really beautiful machining. It takes some real skill, time and effort to get such a nice surface finish. The appeal in lights like these is in the quality and care it took to build them. They are not just pumped out in some factory by workers would could care less about the end product. They are designed and built by someone whose passion is flashlights. There is just something special about having something that so much work was put into. Like a really nice hand made solid walnut table, it functions just as good as a folding table from wally world. They both hold stuff you put on them. But you’re not going to admire the folding table every time you walk by, and think about the craftsmanship that went into it, the care to make sure every joint is just perfect. It’s that little fuzzy feeling you get from having something really nice.

Sometimes we get a little obsessed with performance and cheapness here on BLF, I know I do. We should appreciate all lights even if they aren’t exactly to our liking. Many of our members machine very nice lights like these and while the materials were relatively cheap if they made them to sell they would cost just as much. The labor put into making them would add a tremendous cost.

Very nicely put, totally agree and its nice that we have the options out there if we do want a more exotic custom light. I have many from both ends of the spectrum, they all mean a lot to me in different ways. My car light is a 4c convoy m2 and has been for a couple of years or more………….no need to replace it. Does what it says on the tin, great light, build quality and nice warm floody beam. I have a lot of love for the s2+ lights, be it in 18350 or 18650 form, triples especially.

emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1602
Location: Georgia, USA

ven wrote:
Not at all, i often thought and wondered the same……..heck i do now with many lights, watches, knives……….cars! We check things out, weigh up value and make a decision on most things we buy,

Check some reviews out, great one from Jim

When you get time(if not seen) have a watch, he goes into some detail and why it appealed to him……….worth the watch imho.

Take from there, i could not see you regretting it……..if you do you can sell and someone will buy it within an hour!

Thanks, I’ve not seen that so I’ll definitely give it a watch.

This is going down an expensive path…. Smile

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

Love the way this is going hehe.

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester

emarkd wrote:
ven wrote:
Not at all, i often thought and wondered the same……..heck i do now with many lights, watches, knives……….cars! We check things out, weigh up value and make a decision on most things we buy,

Check some reviews out, great one from Jim

When you get time(if not seen) have a watch, he goes into some detail and why it appealed to him……….worth the watch imho.

Take from there, i could not see you regretting it……..if you do you can sell and someone will buy it within an hour!

Thanks, I’ve not seen that so I’ll definitely give it a watch.

This is going down an expensive path…. Smile

Welcome and apologies as it will more than likely cost………………….but i honestly dont see any regret, maybe “ why have i waited so long”

There are hi cri mule options if your cup of tea, you can buy the body/head separate and mix up, AA/16340 etc(no 18650). For the form factor, the 123 body is the way forward imho and could always buy the AA pack later if for you.

There is a lot more to this light than a dream, then next day on the lathe , it years of OCD perfection in the making for ……….well perfection.
The HDS is special to me as a light in itself, the gizmo is another level imo(subjective) and just as tough, Mark it……………buff it! Fenix etc are great, kind of a few year investment, this is one for life and can be upgraded to the latest led when/if that time comes. Look at it as a saving fund for $500, you get a few years of use/fun and then get your money back if you decide…………..you wont though……………still its waiting for when you do!
Mine has been work for some use

The clip is one of the best in the biz

Originally it had an xpl HI 4000k in it, but i have a fondness for triples and nichias, so that was that

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

ven Where/how did you get that done?

ven
ven's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/09/2016 - 11:39
Posts: 681
Location: Manchester
MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13058
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

That is one sweet looking light. Congrats on the new addition. Beer

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

The Miller
The Miller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 12/14/2015 - 12:08
Posts: 9908
Location: Charente France

Wauw what a beauty!
this must make you feel vry hapy and content to use, or even have in line of sight, congrats!

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

It is quite a piece.

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3669

Congrats!

After spending several years on CPF I understand these are not made to win the lumens race, for that you have all of your other modded or off the shelf lights. Its a nice piece you can keep for years even decades and still admire the craftsmanship involved.

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

will34: Thanks. Yes, that’s one of the views I have, it’s an art in it’s own right.

Gunga
Gunga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2014 - 16:56
Posts: 1833
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I like mine. But it is modded with a fet driver. Smile

These are nice lights but not “budget” in any way.

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

gunga: Sorry, what’s a fet driver?

sac02
sac02's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/26/2016 - 15:18
Posts: 757
Location: TX

I believe fet is short for mosfet, but the function of a fet driver is basically that it drives the LED as Direct Drive from the battery instead of with a regulated current metered out by the driver IC. The LED will pull as much power (voltage, amperage) as it can. Exactly how much is a function of the rest of the build and the resistances in play – light construction, springs/bypasses, wire gauges/lengths, and even battery internal resistance. fet drivers will produce maximum output from the LED but they also have some downsides like they won’t reach their potential unless all the other parts of the system are tweaked as well, and they will produce lots of heat which means either short useage times at max output, huge cooling requirements, short runtimes, or some combination of those.

Gunga
Gunga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2014 - 16:56
Posts: 1833
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Exactly!

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

That’s quite sweet Cool

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK
ven wrote:
Here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?418984-Tana-Light-Eng...(Haiku-Mule)-and-modding-service

From your post here , which colour temperature do you find seems the most neutral/natural?

The triple Nichia Haiku, I assume this is all flood? Any throw?

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16135
Location: Amsterdam

I have ruined the three 219C leds in my titanium triple flashlight (Reylight) because of a FET-driver. Because the titanium does not conduct heat very well, it got scorching hot inside without me noticing it. So a McGizmo may best be driven by the driver it came with, hotrodding it implies that you have to monitor it in use.

Dr Forinor
Dr Forinor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 11/20/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 116
Location: Scotland, UK

djozz: Thanks for that info Thumbs Up

Pages