18650 for c8 convoy

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia
18650 for c8 convoy

G’day all I need some advice on the c8 I have in the mail . now before it gets here I wold like to get some batteries

for it and have read that the protected cells won’t fit so will these do http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301835346061?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var... or do I need the one with the knob on top http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262869333853?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var... .

I hope the c8 has low volt warning ?

cheers D

Edited by: deye223 on 03/13/2017 - 08:30
Speed4goal
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 3 sec ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 733
Location: Bay, St. Louis Mississippi

Convoy and thorfire c8 have low voltage protection. And just about any cell will work. If leaving stock Panasonic NCR B will work. But sanyo GA, Samsung 30q, lg hg2. Basically aby namebrand unprotected cell. Stock c8 only pulls 2.8 amps.

Edit just checked those links either of those will work. But for roughly the same exact price I’d choose the sanyo GA

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

Speed4goal wrote:
Convoy and thorfire c8 have low voltage protection. And just about any cell will work. If leaving stock Panasonic NCR B will work. But sanyo GA, Samsung 30q, lg hg2. Basically aby namebrand unprotected cell. Stock c8 only pulls 2.8 amps.

Edit just checked those links either of those will work. But for roughly the same exact price I’d choose the sanyo GA

so the Sanyo GA is a better cell , as I’m new to this I did some research on here and bought 2 chargers , I have a XTAR SV2 Rocket

and a XTAR VC4 coming .

thanks D

Speed4goal
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 3 sec ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 733
Location: Bay, St. Louis Mississippi

The ga is a better cell its a 10amp cell. The Panasonic is a 6.8 but doesn’t do well above 3-4 amps. Voltage sag is severe. With the ga cells if you ever get into modding or other high powered lights your already ahead of the game cell wise. The Panasonic’s have their place. I use them in powerbanks. And they are fine for under 3 amps. But for the same price the ga is the way to go

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

thanks this is the info that I was after

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 1658
Location: Germany

As important as the cell s also to reduce the resistance of the springs

Search for spring bypass

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

Lexel wrote:
As important as the cell s also to reduce the resistance of the springs

Search for spring bypass

is that like the 2 convoy L6 I have coming

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 1658
Location: Germany

Yes, its a copper wire from bottom to the top of the spring

The resistance of copper is more than 10 times better than steel

With protected cells the spring is compressed often so much the windings short to each other, gold plating helps here a lot
But with unprotected cells the spring has its full resistance

TWN
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 11:47
Posts: 44
Location: Indonesia

I have Convoy C8 clear edition. It’s fit protected battery Panasonic, no problem at all. Since you don’t mention your C8, I’m not sure about the other model.

The default driver limit the current up to 2.8 amp. If you want little bit extra, get FET driver. I change mine to BLF A6 and using Sanyo baterai, the output is much better. But at the moment I changed the driver to DrJones for testing.

Peardrop
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 18:30
Posts: 73
Location: UK

It depends on the C8. Some protected cells fit my new edition Convoy C8. A couple of Panasonic 18650Bs from Gearbest fit but are quite tight. We are talking about a few thou extra diameter making a big difference here, so it may vary from batch to batch. Unprotected cells are an easy fit.

As for low voltage warning, once again that depends on the brand of the C8. Convoy and Thorfire definitely have it. Generic ebay cheapies almost certainly won’t. I prefer to use unprotected cells in single cell lights and keep an eye on them with a voltmeter.

I think almost all c8s have spring contacts on the tail cap and the driver board, so flat top or button top (the ones with the knob on top) should work.

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

TWN wrote:
I have Convoy C8 clear edition. It’s fit protected battery Panasonic, no problem at all. Since you don’t mention your C8, I’m not sure about the other model.

The default driver limit the current up to 2.8 amp. If you want little bit extra, get FET driver. I change mine to BLF A6 and using Sanyo baterai, the output is much better. But at the moment I changed the driver to DrJones for testing.

this is the one I ordered http://www.banggood.com/NEW-Gray-Convoy-C8-XM-L2-7135×8-SMO-Integrated-...

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 1424
Location: nyc

The panny-B is probably the longest 18650 out there, at just shy of 70mm long. They fit all the C8s I’ve got (genuine Convoy to cheap-ass clones).

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

TWN
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 11:47
Posts: 44
Location: Indonesia

deye223 wrote:
this is the one I ordered http://www.banggood.com/NEW-Gray-Convoy-C8-XM-L2-7135×8-SMO-Integrated-...

If I read the dimension, it’s same with clear version, so I assume it will fit Panasonic protected battery.

Additionally, Lightbringer said above would be enough information for that matter.