18650 battery

37 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia
18650 battery

gday all I recently bought 3 of these torch’s for around the house http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_604347.html?

and much to my suprize they came with cells but there the ultrafire 3000mah 18650 http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Ultrafire-Blue-3000mAh-18650-Rechargeable-l...

are these worth using or should I just bin them ? .

cheers D

Speed4goal
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 845
Location: Bay, St. Louis Mississippi

In the bin, cells arnt 3000mah or even close lucky if they are 500mah. And are a fire risk. You never know what your going to get. If lucky a very old worn out laptop pull. Sometimes its smaller 10440 cells inside with sand around it to make it weigh right. Sometimes even smaller batteries then that. Just look at some of the disassembly threads of ultrafire 18650s.

They kind of remind me of energizer c and d nihm cells. Its just a larger battery case with a smaller cell inside

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 4425
Location: Long Island, New York

I agree with Speed4goal. Ultrafire batteries are as bad as they come. I’d get rid of them and get some decent cells like Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung, LG, or Sony’s. I like Efest when it comes to 10440’s, 14500’s, 18350’s, and 26650’s because none of the brands I mentioned make those sizes.

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

I figured as much just thought I would ask …… it’s a good thing I have some Sanyo NCR18650GA 3.7V 3500mAh on the way then .

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 4425
Location: Long Island, New York
deye223 wrote:
I figured as much just thought I would ask …… it’s a good thing I have some Sanyo NCR18650GA 3.7V 3500mAh on the way then .

Excellent battery. I have several flat tops I use in single cell flashlights.

allcool
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2016 - 10:30
Posts: 135
Location: Miami

Well, not so fast…

I, like many of us, have gotten many batteries with extreme cheapy lights. And yes, most all of them were worthless.

I like to test them in one of my li500 out on the patio, just to make sure they are junk. I always keep an eye on the temp and if they start to get hot I abort the test and can the battery in an ammo box for future recycling.

A month ago won a $1.78 light on eBay. Came with charger, uf battery, holster, bike mount, and a ultrafire e6.
Tested its purple ultrafire “5000mah 4.2v” battery and to my surprise it was a 3000 mah good battery as per my lii500. Tested it 3 times and all results came out the same, 3000 mAH. Popped it in my high draw light and it pulled 6+amps…!!! something many of my laptop pulls won’t do in that light. Been using it ever since. I consider it one of my better batteries.

So, might want to test those cheapy batteries that comer with cheapy ebay lights. Not often, but once in a while you might get lucky…

jmo

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 547
Location: South Carolina

allcool wrote:
Well, not so fast…

I, like many of us, have gotten many batteries with extreme cheapy lights. And yes, most all of them were worthless.

I like to test them in one of my li500 out on the patio, just to make sure they are junk. I always keep an eye on the temp and if they start to get hot I abort the test and can the battery in an ammo box for future recycling.

A month ago won a $1.78 light on eBay. Came with charger, uf battery, holster, bike mount, and a ultrafire e6.
Tested its purple ultrafire “5000mah 4.2v” battery and to my surprise it was a 3000 mah good battery as per my lii500. Tested it 3 times and all results came out the same, 3000 mAH. Popped it in my high draw light and it pulled 6+amps…!!! something many of my laptop pulls won’t do in that light. Been using it ever since. I consider it one of my better batteries.

So, might want to test those cheapy batteries that comer with cheapy ebay lights. Not often, but once in a while you might get lucky…

jmo

Even though it performs satisfactorily for you, it likely does not have any PTC (pressure valve) or CID (current interrupt device) to protect against high pressure and over temperature. It is not possible to know unless you dissect one or wait until it explodes. These are internal cell parts separate from any protection circuit added to a “protected” cell. They are often left off of low quality cells like this to cut manufacturing cost, this is how they can be sold more cheaply than reputable brands.

An example that you can observe yourself – take a look at the button top on your cell, do you see any vent holes?

Wow! Such bright! Many collection! Very torch! Amaze.

allcool
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2016 - 10:30
Posts: 135
Location: Miami

Angler wrote:
allcool wrote:
Well, not so fast…

I, like many of us, have gotten many batteries with extreme cheapy lights. And yes, most all of them were worthless.

I like to test them in one of my li500 out on the patio, just to make sure they are junk. I always keep an eye on the temp and if they start to get hot I abort the test and can the battery in an ammo box for future recycling.

A month ago won a $1.78 light on eBay. Came with charger, uf battery, holster, bike mount, and a ultrafire e6.
Tested its purple ultrafire “5000mah 4.2v” battery and to my surprise it was a 3000 mah good battery as per my lii500. Tested it 3 times and all results came out the same, 3000 mAH. Popped it in my high draw light and it pulled 6+amps…!!! something many of my laptop pulls won’t do in that light. Been using it ever since. I consider it one of my better batteries.

So, might want to test those cheapy batteries that comer with cheapy ebay lights. Not often, but once in a while you might get lucky…

jmo

Even though it performs satisfactorily for you, it likely does not have any PTC (pressure valve) or CID (current interrupt device) to protect against high pressure and over temperature. It is not possible to know unless you dissect one or wait until it explodes. These are internal cell parts separate from any protection circuit added to a “protected” cell. They are often left off of low quality cells like this to cut manufacturing cost, this is how they can be sold more cheaply than reputable brands.

An example that you can observe yourself – take a look at the button top on your cell, do you see any vent holes?

Interesting, did not know that. Do all (any ?) laptop pulls (sanyo, samsung, sony,etc,) have CID/PTC..?

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

ok I just looked at the add for my SANYO cells and they say that Panasonic make them

if so why would someone tell me that the SANYO cells are better ?

atbglenn
atbglenn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 12:04
Posts: 4425
Location: Long Island, New York

deye223 wrote:
ok I just looked at the add for my SANYO cells and they say that Panasonic make them

if so why would someone tell me that the SANYO cells are better ?

They are listed here as Panasonic/Sanyo cells. Are Sanyo cells better than Panasonic? I have no idea to be honest. All I can say is I’ve been using Panasonic cells for years without issues.

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

ok ….. I wish I could get them at that price as their $12 on average here .

Speed4goal
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 845
Location: Bay, St. Louis Mississippi

deye223 wrote:
ok I just looked at the add for my SANYO cells and they say that Panasonic make them

if so why would someone tell me that the SANYO cells are better ?

Panasonic owns sanyo, each cell has its own name. Panasonic’s 3400 cell is the NCR only good for around 6 amps. But sags heavily after 4 amps. The sanyos 3400-3500 cell is the sanyo GA. 10 amp rated cell. Its developed by sanyo, sanyo never recovered from a major earthquake and Panasonic owns it now. Might not see to many new cells with a sanyo label on it. Essentially they are the same company now. All the high drains are comparable. Sanyo/lg/Samsung 10amps you couldn’t tell a difference in the 3 lights you have. And the 20+amp cells are all similar. 30q/HG2/VTC6/ etc

You won’t go wrong with Panasonic or sanyo cells. I recommebrd the sanyo cells since they are the same price as the Panasonic outdated NCR B cells. And said if you ever get more powerful lights that draw over 3 amps you already have cells now for it. Panasonic makes good cells all the big manufacters do. Sanyos plant was hit during a massive quake. And just never recovered fiancialy completely. Panasonic bought them out to get their battery formulas and technology. They let sanyo keep operating with its name for the time being but that may change in the future.

Like Walmart and samsclub two different companies but both owned by walmart

bella-headlight
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 01/10/2016 - 16:17
Posts: 1039
Location: United Kingdom

To the OP I have 3 of these lights & for the money they are great little lights Thumbs Up
I tested the claimed 3000mah “crapfire” cells that came with them & got 600-800mah iirc & very high resistances & after charging voltage dropped like a stone Sad
They are very very poor cells.
I recycled mine.

Ian

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

thanks all .

and thanks Speed4goal that sounds about right for these days so I will use what I have coming

and will get more for my c8 and 2 olight M3X and it looks like I will get another 2 or 3 c8 for

the money they are a great light + I ordered an OP reflector for around the house and yard .

cheers D

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 547
Location: South Carolina
allcool wrote:
Interesting, did not know that. Do all laptop pulls (sanyo, samsung, sony,etc,) have CID/PTC..?

Yes! Thumbs Up

Wow! Such bright! Many collection! Very torch! Amaze.

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

well this is getting interesting …….. I ran one of these cells down to 3 volts and then put it in

the charger and after 15mins it was at 74% so I thing this is one of them 3000mah cells that

hold 300mah haha .

EDIT charge rate is 1A

EDIT 2 it took 1 1/2 hours to charge so about 1100 to 1200 mah

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

ok I was doing some research on batteries and because the ones I have coming are SANYO

NCR I found this …… the chemistry of the NCR is LiNiCoAlO2 so the question is can I charge

these on my XTAR SV2 Rocket charger as this is all that is listed Li-ion/IMR/INR/ICR not the

NCR cells .

cheers D

Speed4goal
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2016 - 13:03
Posts: 845
Location: Bay, St. Louis Mississippi

deye223 wrote:
ok I was doing some research on batteries and because the ones I have coming are SANYO

NCR I found this …… the chemistry of the NCR is LiNiCoAlO2 so the question is can I charge

these on my XTAR SV2 Rocket charger as this is all that is listed Li-ion/IMR/INR/ICR not the

NCR cells .

cheers D

Yes charge away. Any 3.6/3.7 lithium cell is fine. They charge up to 4.2 volt. Cells are rated by nominal voltage.

spinynorman
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2017 - 16:14
Posts: 64
Location: Eastern NC

I see one of the “tips” in the SV2 Rocket manual is to manually reduce the charge rate from 2A to 0.50A when the battery is “almost full”. I suppose this gives a more accurate termination point?

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

hmmm now where is my manual

allcool
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 06/20/2016 - 10:30
Posts: 135
Location: Miami

Angler wrote:
“An example that you can observe yourself – take a look at the button top on your cell, do you see any vent holes?”

Is this the vent holes you’re asking about..? There are 2 of them on opposite sides.

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia
spinynorman wrote:
I see one of the “tips” *+in the SV2 Rocket manual +*is to manually reduce the charge rate from 2A to 0.50A when the battery is “almost full”. I suppose this gives a more accurate termination point?

um I found it but it ain’t no good to me as it’s all in Chinese Angry

spinynorman
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2017 - 16:14
Posts: 64
Location: Eastern NC

Reading the translation is half the fun of getting new Chinese product! The instructions don’t say you have to reduce the charge rate, it is automatic, but reducing it is a “tip”. Otherwise the instructions seem common to other charging practices. I’m pretty new to this and needed a faster charger for the 26650s in a couple of new lights I bought and I found the SV2 on sale. Cash

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

I figured there was something going any was as it gets to 99% and then takes ages to finish

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 544
Location: USA

atbglenn wrote:
deye223 wrote:
ok I just looked at the add for my SANYO cells and they say that Panasonic make them

if so why would someone tell me that the SANYO cells are better ?

They are listed here as Panasonic/Sanyo cells. Are Sanyo cells better than Panasonic? I have no idea to be honest. All I can say is I’ve been using Panasonic cells for years without issues.


They’re all the same, made in the same factory. Sanyo has been a subsidiary of Panasonic since 2009. Sometimes they put Panasonic logo on the product and sometimes they put Sanyo logo, but it’s essentially the same product beneath the label.
Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 547
Location: South Carolina

allcool wrote:

Is this the vent holes you’re asking about..? There are 2 of them on opposite sides.

!{height:600px; width:400px}http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae68/allcool11/vent%20hole%20ultrafir...!

Thumbs Up Those are the ones! It doesn’t mean that the cell has internal protection, but a lack of them would indicate that it does not.

If you are using these in a light that draws 3 amps or more, you will certainly benefit from a better cell such as panasonic sanyo samsung sony lg.
Better meaning higher voltage under load, higher capacity, higher amp capability, lower internal resistance, resulting in more lumens.

Wow! Such bright! Many collection! Very torch! Amaze.

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia

SANYO NCR18650GA 3.7V 3500mAh ……….?

ok my sanyo cells rolled up today and I must say they look very plane jane

now I know this don’t mean much but all the have is a white sticker on them

and one of them small square things that you read with your phone .

so does this sound right or are they knock offs .

cheers D

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 11314
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Where are you buying batteries from deye?

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia
MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 11314
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Can you post a picture?

My current and or voltage measurements are only relevent to anything that I measure.

Budget light hobby proudly sponsored by my Mastercard and unknowingly paid for by a hard working wife. 

djozz said "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

deye223
deye223's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/02/2017 - 07:06
Posts: 157
Location: Gippsland lakes Australia
MRsDNF wrote:
Can you post a picture?

wish I could I have tried to use PB and another hosting sight and the pic will not display

EDIT it did take 3 hours and 15 minutes to charge them both today and they were within

2% of each other all the way to charged so I suppose they can’t be that bad .

and if you want a look here they are the same as these right down to the QR code

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Sanyo+Li-ion+NCR18650GA+3.7V+3500mAh&...

Pages