Shadow TC6 XM-L Any thoughts before I buy?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia
Shadow TC6 XM-L Any thoughts before I buy?

Any thoughts on this light. Looks really nice. Option for Neutral White-T6 3C (+2.99) . Does anyone have one and would like to share your thoughts. My mouse is ready to hit the paynow button.

 

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-cree-xml-tc6-2x18650-flashlight-p-131...

 

 

Edited by: gen1.3_ on 11/16/2011 - 19:50
VFMaddict
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/03/2011 - 08:47
Posts: 1451
Location: London

gen1.3_ wrote:

Any thoughts on this light. Looks really nice. Option for Neutral White-T6 3C (+2.99) . Does anyone have one and would like to share your thoughts. My mouse is ready to hit the paynow button.

That's what I tell my wife too but she always knows it was really me...........

"You are making progress if each mistake you make is a new one."

Remember - Most great discoveries start with maki

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

I got the 4C neutral white version from Ric (slightly cheaper price though as i tagged it with another order and negotiated a little).   Quite some info here : http://budgetlightforum.com/node/3542

 Think the tint always changes depending on availability.  Not sure if Ric has any more in stock now.

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5837
Location: Maine

not last time i checked... hope he gets it back but intl outdoor seems to be decent too. i think the nw one was $50 at cnq

 

oh one thought. get the nw, and if you dont like it ill gladly take it off your hands at a used/discount price Innocent

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia

OK guys after reading a few reviews and the thread here , I decided to buy it. I ordered the NW 3C. I'm really excited to get it. @ Pulsar will do. But I'm sure I will love it Wink

Edit: I chose the smooth rather than the OP . 4 mode (hi,med,lo,strobe)

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5837
Location: Maine

im sure you will too... ive been drooling over that for a while

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

I posted my opinion regarding this flashlight here

I really like it.

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia

Hikelite wrote:

I posted my opinion regarding this flashlight here

I really like it.

I'm glad I bought it now. Thanks for the link.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

After that can consider the JM05.  For $39 shipped, it is really very good value.  Shame that it has no NW option.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-jm05-t6-26650-800-lumens-fashlight-p-212.html

High output (650 lumens OTF, 2.6A draw), good heatsinking, good throw for the size, no PWM.   A single Kingkong 26650 has the capacity of a pair of TF Flames 2400mAh.

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia

2100 wrote:

After that can consider the JM05.  For $39 shipped, it is really very good value.  Shame that it has no NW option.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-jm05-t6-26650-800-lumens-fashlight-p-212.html

High output (650 lumens OTF, 2.6A draw), good heatsinking, good throw for the size, no PWM.   A single Kingkong 26650 has the capacity of a pair of TF Flames 2400mAh.

I seen that one, looks very well built. I'm not very familiar with 26650 cells. Not sure if I want to dive in into another exotic battery + charger. I see it comes with 18650 sleeve Smile . Might have to get one, However there out of stock Sad

2100
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Woah...no shit.  Out of stock!

My first charger is the Ultrafire WF-188.  Already factorered all these small, medium, big and XL batteries.  Figured that i'd pay like $4 more to get a universal one.

Or join the rest of us, get a hobby charger!  (power it with a spare notebook power adapter or something)

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia

2100 wrote:

Woah...no shit.  Out of stock!

My first charger is the Ultrafire WF-188.  Already factorered all these small, medium, big and XL batteries.  Figured that i'd pay like $4 more to get a universal one.

Or join the rest of us, get a hobby charger!  (power it with a spare notebook power adapter or something)

I'm afriad to say but I'm a flashaholic in training :-[ . I'm realy a novice when it comes to batteries, chargers well electronics in general. Lol I'm learning ...slowly.

Kokopelli
Kokopelli's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/17/2010 - 08:05
Posts: 1162
Location: Turkey

I plan to get a NW Shadow. Which one is more versatile do you think? OP or SMO reflector for general use? 

I already have a SMO TK35 and TK41 and a TF X8. They throw well but may have some artifacts. OP sounds more smooth but I still wouldn't want to dim the output. 

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4040
Location: Upstate NY

2100 wrote:

Or join the rest of us, get a hobby charger!  (power it with a spare notebook power adapter or something)

+1

http://www.rcaccessory.com/bc6dx-ii.aspx

seems like a ton of money - actually, it is a f@!$load of money.  but mine has nearly paid for itself by reviving SLA and power tool batteries.

____________________

Girls can shoot!

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia

Kokopelli wrote:

I plan to get a NW Shadow. Which one is more versatile do you think? OP or SMO reflector for general use? 

I already have a SMO TK35 and TK41 and a TF X8. They throw well but may have some artifacts. OP sounds more smooth but I still wouldn't want to dim the output. 

For general use I would go with OP it will smooth out the beam and give you a bit more floody beam. I chose the SMO for more throw, I hope it won't give out the rings of saturn.:-)

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4040
Location: Upstate NY

I've only recently become aware of this intl and shadow lights.  They seem to lie in that niche between lights that are inexpensive enough for impulse buy but not as overpriced as many 'high quality' lights.  Good thing for my wallet they don't have fat lights w/ (physically) parallel batteries:)

____________________

Girls can shoot!

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

gen1.3_ wrote:

Kokopelli wrote:

I plan to get a NW Shadow. Which one is more versatile do you think? OP or SMO reflector for general use? 

I already have a SMO TK35 and TK41 and a TF X8. They throw well but may have some artifacts. OP sounds more smooth but I still wouldn't want to dim the output. 

For general use I would go with OP it will smooth out the beam and give you a bit more floody beam. I chose the SMO for more throw, I hope it won't give out the rings of saturn.:-)

No rings of Saturn on the TC6. I have both reflectors OP and SMO. Maybe I'll take some beamshots tonight.

gen1.3_
gen1.3_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 4 months ago
Joined: 05/25/2011 - 09:16
Posts: 763
Location: Commifornia

Hikelite wrote:

gen1.3_ wrote:

Kokopelli wrote:

I plan to get a NW Shadow. Which one is more versatile do you think? OP or SMO reflector for general use? 

I already have a SMO TK35 and TK41 and a TF X8. They throw well but may have some artifacts. OP sounds more smooth but I still wouldn't want to dim the output. 

For general use I would go with OP it will smooth out the beam and give you a bit more floody beam. I chose the SMO for more throw, I hope it won't give out the rings of saturn.:-)

No rings of Saturn on the TC6. I have both reflectors OP and SMO. Maybe I'll take some beamshots tonight.

Smile Beamshots would be great. Thanks Hikelite!

Where did you order the spare reflector from?

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

gen1.3_ wrote:

Hikelite wrote:

gen1.3_ wrote:

Kokopelli wrote:

I plan to get a NW Shadow. Which one is more versatile do you think? OP or SMO reflector for general use? 

I already have a SMO TK35 and TK41 and a TF X8. They throw well but may have some artifacts. OP sounds more smooth but I still wouldn't want to dim the output. 

For general use I would go with OP it will smooth out the beam and give you a bit more floody beam. I chose the SMO for more throw, I hope it won't give out the rings of saturn.:-)

No rings of Saturn on the TC6. I have both reflectors OP and SMO. Maybe I'll take some beamshots tonight.

Smile Beamshots would be great. Thanks Hikelite!

Where did you order the spare reflector from?

Well it was actually a free gift from CNQ for delaying my order 2 weeks.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

I've take some outdoor beamshots last night with the two available reflectors, SMO and OP for the Shadow TC6. (2.6A, XM-L T6 1A)

 

18meters SMO vs OP 59 feet                                                              

 

 

60meters SMO vs OP 196 feet                                                             

 

 

60cm SMO vs OP 2 feet (zoomed)

 

 

60cm SMO vs OP 2 feet - Heavily underexposed                                    

 

 

 The first two beamshots aren't matching perfectly on the spot, so don't take any decision just by those two.

 The heavily underexposed pictures are  too underexposed to mean anyting in reality, I have underexposed them to pick up any difference in the beam pattern.

 Simply because it's the same flashlight and the same reflector construction (different coating, SMO vs OP) you won't see any difference between the two unless you are trying hard. The SMO reflector's hot spot is barely any tighter, but it is.

 The beam is very nice with any of the reflectors.

 

Edit: It was -6 Celsius last night but the Shadow TC6 just could not get hot in 2 or 3 minutes of runtime. I wanted it to get hot to warm my hands.

 

how2
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 06/01/2010 - 10:26
Posts: 2416
Location: london

I cannot see any pics?

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

I've updated the links, it seems postimage.org didn't work, but imageshack is working.

Kokopelli
Kokopelli's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/17/2010 - 08:05
Posts: 1162
Location: Turkey

Thanks for the comparison Hikelite. The OP on the underexposed image looks nice. I see it feeds the spill while their hotspots look nearly equal from the pictures. I guess OP would be better all around for me. But I'd prefer 3C for outdoor and it should loose some lumens. I hope it lights up the road just as good.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

Kokopelli wrote:

But I'd prefer 3C for outdoor and it should loose some lumens. I hope it lights up the road just as good.

You don't loose lumens on the 3C it's the same T6 bin efficiency as the 1A. 

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3620
Location: RO

Kokopelli wrote:

The OP on the underexposed image looks nice.

It looks nice indeed. However those are so underexposed that don't justice to this flashlight . As I said it was only to try to pick up any difference between the two, to actually see a difference. Just above the underexposed images you can see how the same output looks to my eye. So when you look at those you hardly notice any difference.