SAFETY ULTAVIOLET FLASHLIGH

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
legofaith
legofaith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 10:23
Posts: 27
Location: Russia
SAFETY ULTAVIOLET FLASHLIGH

Hi there! some weeks ago i bought noname ultaviolet flashlight and then i saw that that was <265 nM light. They say that light <265 nanometres cause cataracts. So do u know safety ultraviolet flashlight to find mushrooms and just for fun. Thank u!

jon_slider
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 911
Location: Crowdifornia

Wear glasses with UV protection
I think your light would be 365 Nm, not 265 Nm
but it could also be 395 Nm

in USA we use the US$100 to see the red Line, a 365 Nm will light it, but a 395 Nm will not

I don’t know if both will light a mushroom

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 3822
Location: Germany

265nm deep UV also reveals more marks on some notes that are not visible with 365nm

but such LEDs are very weak and expensive

Trevi_lux
Trevi_lux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 10:52
Posts: 2296
Location: Spain

All UV flashlights should be used with caution, UV can cause skin damage, in your eyes, …. There are several types of UV, the sun produces it, but the most dangerous is stopped by our atmosphere. UV flashlights are not toys and should be used with little caution.

jon_slider
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 911
Location: Crowdifornia

here is an example of a claimed 370 nm UV (I believe it is accurate spec, a friend tested the light and it does light up the redline on a US100
https://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/specialty-uv-ultraviolet-bla...

this one is claimed 365 nm, and it also works on the US100 redline, I tested it myself
https://us.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_562891.html

this light claims to be 365 nm, but it is not, it won’t light up the US100 redline, so is probably a 395 nm LED
https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Rechargeable-UltraViolet-Blacklight-Flas...

in all cases, wearing UV blocking glasses is recommended. Note even regular clear lenses used for prescriptions, tend to be anti UV coated. Here is a yellow version
https://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Protection-Adjustable-Glasses-7821...
note that link also mentions the use 395 nm UV for detecting pet urine

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 11955
Location: Amsterdam

I am not aware of any flashlight for sale under 365nm. Moreover, a 265nm led would be very rare on its own, a fairly common wavelength would be 275-280nm, not 265nm. And 280nm leds, as Lexel said, are weak and expensive, and would need a special quartz lens. So most likely it is a typo and they meant to write 365nm, and even then what you really get can just as well be 400nm (the seller would likely not be able to notice the difference).

Btw, recently I did build a 275nm flashlight, post= here

jon_slider
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 911
Location: Crowdifornia
djozz wrote:
Btw, recently I did build a 275nm flashlight, post= “here”:http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1247611#comment-1247611

wow! nice work.. thanks for educating on the differences:

djozz wrote:
found that the 10 euro bill also works:
365nm: 278nm:
alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 532
Location: usa

real 275nm is in germicidal range, it damages dna. so a cataract is the least of your problems. but no worries i have no doubt it is not anywhere close to 275nm

wle
wle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 720
Location: atlanta ga

i doubt any battery powered light has enough power to cause UV problems, unless you hold it directly to your eye..

wle

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 4422
Location: nyc
wle wrote:
i doubt any battery powered light has enough power to cause UV problems, unless you hold it directly to your eye..

Don’t be too sure. Just a few minutes of casual UV snooping and I already start getting headaches/eyeaches.

Your eye isn’t sensitive to UV, so will stay fully dilated in a dark room and let in lots of stray UV.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 4422
Location: nyc
alpg88 wrote:
real 275nm is in germicidal range, it damages dna. so a cataract is the least of your problems. but no worries i have no doubt it is not anywhere close to 275nm

Yeah, I used a germicidal bulb to make ozone when I had bronchitis (only thing that stopped the damned coffing), and even shielded it yellowed/browned some materials, even the enamel on the fixture.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 3822
Location: Germany

you would be impressed if you see those new Emitters radiating 1-1.5W of 365nm light
they are for sure pretty dangerous

legofaith
legofaith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 5 days ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 10:23
Posts: 27
Location: Russia

Guys! thank u very much! I am choosing now! Cool

dw911
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 06/27/2014 - 07:44
Posts: 584
Location: UK

wle wrote:
i doubt any battery powered light has enough power to cause UV problems, unless you hold it directly to your eye..

wle

Dont forget to keep one eye shut, that way you can still post here and let us know how it went Wink

From what i read and asking on here before i bought a couple of uv light, its very dangerous to your eyes.
A pair of polycarbonate safey glasses are cheap, very cheap, your eyesight, That’s priceless.
Does not make sense not to buy and wear a pair.
However small the perceived risk maybe Smile

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 484
Location: Manila, Philippines
Lexel wrote:
you would be impressed if you see those new Emitters radiating 1-1.5W of 365nm light they are for sure pretty dangerous

Just wondering, I got the Convoy S2+ UV365 Nichia flashlight, which uses 700mA current.
How many watts of 365nm lighting does it produce? ( 0.7A x 3.7v = 2.6watts <— is this correct calculation? )

Any idea how many watts are the other UV365 lights, eg. the Jetbeam Jet-UV (also 365nm) and the Astrolux K1 (365nm too).
(The Astrolux K1 has very dim UV light, so I presume it must be very very low).

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 2339
Location: USA, Michigan

You can wear clear polycarbonate lenses, whether your normal glasses, or safety glasses.. If you are working with UV all day, there are polycarb safety glasses with an additional coating.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 3822
Location: Germany
d_t_a wrote:
Lexel wrote:
you would be impressed if you see those new Emitters radiating 1-1.5W of 365nm light they are for sure pretty dangerous

Just wondering, I got the Convoy S2+ UV365 Nichia flashlight, which uses 700mA current.
How many watts of 365nm lighting does it produce? ( 0.7A x 3.7v = 2.6watts <— is this correct calculation? )

Any idea how many watts are the other UV365 lights, eg. the Jetbeam Jet-UV (also 365nm) and the Astrolux K1 (365nm too).
(The Astrolux K1 has very dim UV light, so I presume it must be very very low).

UV light below 380nm is not visible, a perfect 365nm LED would be not visible even it it would radiate thousands of Watts

The Convoy S2+ should radiate about 500-900mW depending on efficiency bin of the reel

Tender
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 09/15/2017 - 02:26
Posts: 138
Location: NY, NY

d_t_a wrote:

Any idea how many watts are the other UV365 lights, eg. the Jetbeam Jet-UV (also 365nm) and the Astrolux K1 (365nm too).
(The Astrolux K1 has very dim UV light, so I presume it must be very very low).

I have the Astrolux K1. You have to hold it pretty close to a US $100 bill to see its red line – from a couple of inches in full daylight to around a meter or so in total darkness. It does bounce off whites pretty strongly, from around 3-5 meters, in the dark. I could take some pictures and try to post them if you’d like.

"Keep On Luxing" © and "May The Lumin Be With You" © (by my very self)

Patrickbateman
Patrickbateman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 03/14/2012 - 04:08
Posts: 256
Location: France

Hello guys,

I recently used a convoy s2+ UV with prescription glasses and clear protection glasses ( like this https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-817691-Economical-Glasses/dp/B000BO6... ) in a dark room to test the led.

I added this filter: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/365nm-Special-optical-materials-UV-Flashl...

I thought i had been careful but it’s been 3 days and i’m still a bit nauseous trying this flashlight for 15 minutes.

Is it possible ? I feel like my left eye is bit blurry but i’m also in the process of getting new glasses because my eyesight is changing.

I was a bit worried about UV light but also curious so i tried to secure everything using it, but not sure if i have been careful enough…

what’s your opinion guys ? Are you intensively using the convoy s2+ UV ? I don’t know if something happened of if i’m just fearing it…

Thank you for your opinion.

mapache
mapache's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 08/10/2015 - 09:34
Posts: 1172
Location: Vic, Aus

Perhaps your conscience is catching up with you? All those murders must take a toll on your health. Big Smile

Alternatively it might be worth calling your optometrist. If your glasses are causing an issue for an extended period of time they might have given you the wrong prescription, and if the UV has caused the problem you probably still want to talk to them.

My only instantaneous negative experience with UV is welding flash, which I imagine is a very different beast. I had dry “sandy” eyes, blurred vision and a headache for about 24hrs afterwards. I was wearing prescription glasses and a helmet but the lens didn’t darken and I didn’t realize it wasn’t working for a short period of time Facepalm

firedome
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 01/16/2016 - 05:45
Posts: 394
Location: Skagen - Denmark

Which is the cheapest source of 278nm or near nm lighting that I can find?

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

-Plato

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 18 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 11955
Location: Amsterdam

Patrickbateman wrote:
Hello guys,

I recently used a convoy s2+ UV with prescription glasses and clear protection glasses ( like this https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-817691-Economical-Glasses/dp/B000BO6... ) in a dark room to test the led.

I added this filter: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/365nm-Special-optical-materials-UV-Flashl...

I thought i had been careful but it’s been 3 days and i’m still a bit nauseous trying this flashlight for 15 minutes.

Is it possible ? I feel like my left eye is bit blurry but i’m also in the process of getting new glasses because my eyesight is changing.

I was a bit worried about UV light but also curious so i tried to secure everything using it, but not sure if i have been careful enough…

what’s your opinion guys ? Are you intensively using the convoy s2+ UV ? I don’t know if something happened of if i’m just fearing it…

Thank you for your opinion.


Did you check the safety glasses for UV blockage? Not all do that very well, I found. Shine the flashlight through the glasses on a piece of white (copier) paper to see how much gets through.