Which brand is better? Spyderco Byrd vs. Ganzo

93 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
Which brand is better? Spyderco Byrd vs. Ganzo
Spyderco Byrd
67% (38 votes)
Ganzo
33% (19 votes)
Total votes: 57
Omega_17
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 730
Location: France

Ganzo is far cheaper and have axis-lock.

Ronin42
Ronin42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 12/17/2014 - 22:17
Posts: 1736
Location: Alameda, CA

Its the steel. Spyderco provides great steels.

(“It’s good that most people can’t remember their previous lives. Otherwise
things would be a lot more complicated than they already are.”
Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo)

giorgoskok
giorgoskok's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 11/13/2015 - 10:46
Posts: 2640
Location: Greece

I would like to know some more info too Thumbs Up

cellguy
cellguy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/12/2012 - 15:59
Posts: 836
Location: Indiana

Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

Current Favorites:

BLF Q8, Thrunite TC20, Convoy L6

 

 

 

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 10664
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Ganzo is better bang for the buck.

Spyderco Byrd is higher quality, for a premium.

Kershaw is best overall, especially is you love assisted-openers.  :P

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
Omega_17 wrote:
Ganzo is far cheaper and have axis-lock.

I don’t think this is true. They are both about $20 each. The axis lock is nice, however, for me, I think the back lock on the Byrds are fine.

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
cellguy wrote:
Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

I’ll give you a pass on this, but only because you are a fellow Hoosier.

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
raccoon city wrote:

Ganzo is better bang for the buck.


Spyderco Byrd is higher quality, for a premium.


Kershaw is best overall, especially is you love assisted-openers.  :P

Do you have a favorite Kershaw? I am going to get my 4 boys a new knife. They already have a few, but I want to get them something new. My thoughts right now are Byrd line, Cryo II G-10, Rat-II. But I am all ears.

cellguy
cellguy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/12/2012 - 15:59
Posts: 836
Location: Indiana
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

I’ll give you a pass on this, but only because you are a fellow Hoosier.

A pass on what?

Current Favorites:

BLF Q8, Thrunite TC20, Convoy L6

 

 

 

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
cellguy wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

I’ll give you a pass on this, but only because you are a fellow Hoosier.

A pass on what?

Your stance on Ganzo knives. I respect it, just disagree with it.

AgentSteel
AgentSteel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 12:04
Posts: 365
Location: FRA

The question is rather vague. Both brands make their knives in China. Ganzo caters the sub-20$ budget segment, Byrd has a wider range pricewise and quality-wise (eg. knives with CTS-BD1 steel)

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 312
Location: Miami, Florida
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

I’ll give you a pass on this, but only because you are a fellow Hoosier.

A pass on what?

Your stance on Ganzo knives. I respect it, just disagree with it.

What about ‘stolen designs/intellectual property’ and Chinese steel, don’t you agree about?

Are you able to articulate your feelings?

Chris

cellguy
cellguy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/12/2012 - 15:59
Posts: 836
Location: Indiana
ChrisGarrett wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

I’ll give you a pass on this, but only because you are a fellow Hoosier.

A pass on what?

Your stance on Ganzo knives. I respect it, just disagree with it.

What about ‘stolen designs/intellectual property’ and Chinese steel, don’t you agree about?

Are you able to articulate your feelings?

Chris

I had not had a chance to reply, but I am interested to hear your opinion as well.

Current Favorites:

BLF Q8, Thrunite TC20, Convoy L6

 

 

 

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 312
Location: Miami, Florida

cellguy wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:

What about ‘stolen designs/intellectual property’ and Chinese steel, don’t you agree about?

Are you able to articulate your feelings?

Chris

I had not had a chance to reply, but I am interested to hear your opinion as well.

Well, I’m one of these guys who never got into the whole torrent/illegal downloading of music because I believe that the ‘artists’ own that property and people ripping those songs to a generic download site are stealing to a degree. I’m a sinner, so I’m not rounding up a lynch mob for Ganzo buyers, FWIW.

A little sister of mine is a corporate patent attorney and another sister and I both attended law school, so we have an understanding of the concept of I.P..

Once the patents expire, for things like knives, all bets are off, but you’re ripping off somebody else, for sure, if you copy a patented feature, like the AXIS lock, or round hole, without paying a licensing fee to the patent owner.

I have a couple of Ganzo knives on my Ebay watch list and thought I’d order one just to beat the crap out of it and see what’s what, but I haven’t.

I have some decent factory knives, some with boutique steels, but much like flashlight ‘tints’, I’m more agnostic on them. I do, however, have an understanding of what makes them different from one another, at least concerning knife blades.

The Chinese can make good stuff, but they also make a lot of crap today and the key is being able to tell the difference and buy accordingly.

As far as the Byrd vs. a Ganzo, I don’t know? I have three Spydercos: a PM II in CPM S110v, a Delica in ZDP-189 and an Endura in VG10.

Chris

cellguy
cellguy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/12/2012 - 15:59
Posts: 836
Location: Indiana

ChrisGarrett wrote:
cellguy wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:

What about ‘stolen designs/intellectual property’ and Chinese steel, don’t you agree about?

Are you able to articulate your feelings?

Chris

I had not had a chance to reply, but I am interested to hear your opinion as well.

Well, I’m one of these guys who never got into the whole torrent/illegal downloading of music because I believe that the ‘artists’ own that property and people ripping those songs to a generic download site are stealing to a degree. I’m a sinner, so I’m not rounding up a lynch mob for Ganzo buyers, FWIW.

A little sister of mine is a corporate patent attorney and another sister and I both attended law school, so we have an understanding of the concept of I.P..

Once the patents expire, for things like knives, all bets are off, but you’re ripping off somebody else, for sure, if you copy a patented feature, like the AXIS lock, or round hole, without paying a licensing fee to the patent owner.

I have a couple of Ganzo knives on my Ebay watch list and thought I’d order one just to beat the crap out of it and see what’s what, but I haven’t.

I have some decent factory knives, some with boutique steels, but much like flashlight ‘tints’, I’m more agnostic on them. I do, however, have an understanding of what makes them different from one another, at least concerning knife blades.

The Chinese can make good stuff, but they also make a lot of crap today and the key is being able to tell the difference and buy accordingly.

As far as the Byrd vs. a Ganzo, I don’t know? I have three Spydercos: a PM II in CPM S110v, a Delica in ZDP-189 and an Endura in VG10.

Chris

I think much of the IP issue gets as many people angry as it does because the designs are from one man shops, not large conglomerates. The axis lock for example was designed by two knife makers who later sold it Benchmade. Notorious thieves like Kevin John Knives simply troll the internet for popular designs and flat out steal them. Add in poor manufacturing techniques and sub par materials and not only has the original knife maker/designer lost a sale but his reputation can also suffer.

The argument that “I would have never spent $XX on knife in the first place” is no excuse. There are knives available for any budget and use case. Rather, the customer wanted the design and features of a high blade without actually having to pay market price.

Steel is another issue altogether, but is generally one of personal preference. I enjoy quality tool steels that can hold up to daily use. I hate stropping and sharpening so I don’t mind paying a premium for good blade steel. If you don’t mind an edge that rolls when cutting packing tape, Ganzo is a reasonable choice!

Current Favorites:

BLF Q8, Thrunite TC20, Convoy L6

 

 

 

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
cellguy wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
cellguy wrote:
Chinese steel and cloned (stolen) designs. Ganzo is not a brand that should be supported, though I suspect that opinion is in the minority on this forum. But only this forum.

I’ll give you a pass on this, but only because you are a fellow Hoosier.

A pass on what?

Your stance on Ganzo knives. I respect it, just disagree with it.

What about ‘stolen designs/intellectual property’ and Chinese steel, don’t you agree about?

Are you able to articulate your feelings?

Chris

I had not had a chance to reply, but I am interested to hear your opinion as well.

So there are no misunderstandings:

1. I am not hostile to anyone that disagrees with my opinion on this. I was serious when I said that I respect the opinion of anyone that hates Chinese knives. I get it. I just disagree.
2. I always try to buy American. Sometimes I don’t, but when the price is justified, I do.
3. This topic got me banned from BladeForums. I don’t want to get banned from here. People on here are extremely helpful. I like it here.
4. I do not believe in the concept of intellectual property. IP and patent laws stifle innovation. I would encourage anyone to read Stephan Kinsella on this issue. (By the way, I am not a libertarian)
5. To be clear, I would never buy nor condone anyone buying a clone knife. By clone, I mean a knife that someone is trying to pass off as, say a Medford Praetorian when it was not, in fact, made by Greg Medford. That is fraud.
6. I do not believe that Ganzo, Sanrenmu, Enlan, etc., fall into the category of clone knives.
7. I have no problem with someone copying the design of something and presenting it as their own version of it. For instance, how many versions of the Buck 110 are there? 1911 pistol? C8 flashlight? I wouldn’t say that anybody stole the Buck 110 clip point design. I would say that they copied it, to varying degrees of quality.

I am more than happy to further explain, expand on or argue any of this. I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind on the matter, but I’m always up for good debate.

gi.lumens
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 09/23/2016 - 23:02
Posts: 337
Location: California

I bought 1 ganzo just to try out, my other knives are benchmade ,spyderco just to name a few. I had to take material off the back of the ganzo so the axis lock would engage properly and i have to constantly sharpen it. The old addage you get what you pay for. I agree Ganzo stole Benchmade design and used subpar materials.

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana

I forgot to address the steel issue. Chinese steels are indeed inferior, in general. However, they are getting much better and I would rate as adequate to good on the Ganzos that I own.

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
gi.lumens wrote:
The old addage you get what you pay for.

Bingo

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 312
Location: Miami, Florida

copperheaded wrote:

So there are no misunderstandings:

1. I am not hostile to anyone that disagrees with my opinion on this. I was serious when I said that I respect the opinion of anyone that hates Chinese knives. I get it. I just disagree.
2. I always try to buy American. Sometimes I don’t, but when the price is justified, I do.
3. This topic got me banned from BladeForums. I don’t want to get banned from here. People on here are extremely helpful. I like it here.
4. I do not believe in the concept of intellectual property. IP and patent laws stifle innovation. I would encourage anyone to read Stephan Kinsella on this issue. (By the way, I am not a libertarian)
5. To be clear, I would never buy nor condone anyone buying a clone knife. By clone, I mean a knife that someone is trying to pass off as, say a Medford Praetorian when it was not, in fact, made by Greg Medford. That is fraud.
6. I do not believe that Ganzo, Sanrenmu, Enlan, etc., fall into the category of clone knives.
7. I have no problem with someone copying the design of something and presenting it as their own version of it. For instance, how many versions of the Buck 110 are there? 1911 pistol? C8 flashlight? I wouldn’t say that anybody stole the Buck 110 clip point design. I would say that they copied it, to varying degrees of quality.

I am more than happy to further explain, expand on or argue any of this. I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind on the matter, but I’m always up for good debate.

In your Pt. 4, you seem to be conflating a few issues and these issues are ideas, concepts and design features that go through the patent process and by doing so, the ‘inventor/originator’ owns that design for a term of years, which varies within product categories.

Another issue you seem to be conflating is the ‘copying of a patented design’ and the copying of something that’s never been patented (protected) before. Big difference there.

You feel that ‘patents’ “stifle innovation” and I’d disagree and if anything, they force somebody to come up with a better mousetrap, because the mousetrap you’re intending to copy, through no genuine creativity of your own, is already spoken for.

I have no problem with clones, as long as they’re not protected. Just because a person slap GANZO on a knife that is for all intents and purposes, a significant copy of a protected BenchMade design, with all of its patented features, hardly absolves them of blame.

Me copying 97% of a Luis Vuitton handbag and me calling it the ‘Chris Bag’ doesn’t cut it.

Most people aren’t experts in the manufacturing of the products that they end up purchasing, but they do lock in on the looks of X, Y or Z widget. Copying the features that define an item, or helps to build the manufacturer’s reputation for quality, especially if it’s protected, is theft, plain and simple.

Your Pt. 7, conflates copying something that has had its patent protections expire, with copying something that’s freshly protected.

Big difference there.

I’m a gun guy and I have a few Harris bi-pods. I remember when the patents expired on their BRM-S 6”-9” type bi-pod and the floodgates opened. I got a nice Outers/Shooter’s Ridge ‘clone’ and didn’t lose a wink of sleep over the I.P. aspect, but that’s just me.

No harm, no foul as they say.

Anyhow…

Chris

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
ChrisGarrett wrote:
In your Pt. 4, you seem to be conflating a few issues and these issues are ideas, concepts and design features that go through the patent process and by doing so, the ‘inventor/originator’ owns that design for a term of years, which varies within product categories.

As usual, this comes down to an IP debate, but I am not conflating. I understand the issue. I just don’t see any validity in IP. Or patents. Granted, this is a moral question, not a legal question. Is copying the axis lock legal? I don’t care. Is copying the axis lock immoral? I say no; but I can see that an argument can be made.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 312
Location: Miami, Florida
copperheaded wrote:
As usual, this comes down to an IP debate, but I am not conflating. I understand the issue. I just don’t see any validity in IP. Or patents. Granted, this is a moral question, not a legal question. Is copying the axis lock legal? I don’t care. Is copying the axis lock immoral? I say no; but I can see that an argument can be made.

Just for the record, I read the Wiki on your Libertarian, Anachro-Capitalist and I can see why you might take the positions that you’re taking in this thread.

Most of us live in ‘societies’ and societies function more smoothly when there are minimal rules, regulations and laws. Morality aside, we don’t generally get to pick and choose what R/R/Ls we follow and what we don’t, without certain consequences—fines, imprisonment, et. al.

Anarchists are all for anarchy until the real anarchists show up with guns, shovels and pitchforks doing anarchist crap, at their expense.

If a feature is patented under US patent law (or any other country’s patent office), then it’s illegal to utilize that feature without permission, which might include a licensing fee, as I mentioned above.

I’m guessing that most companies would love to license their I.P., even to competitors, because it generates revenue for future ideas.

Whether you “care”, or not, is a moot point. And it’s not a ‘moral’ issue, it’s a legal one.

Try copying Gucci, or Fendi handbags, or wallets and selling them at your local flea market.

Chris

copperheaded
copperheaded's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 11/15/2017 - 16:13
Posts: 60
Location: SW Indiana
ChrisGarrett wrote:
copperheaded wrote:
As usual, this comes down to an IP debate, but I am not conflating. I understand the issue. I just don’t see any validity in IP. Or patents. Granted, this is a moral question, not a legal question. Is copying the axis lock legal? I don’t care. Is copying the axis lock immoral? I say no; but I can see that an argument can be made.

Just for the record, I read the Wiki on your Libertarian, Anachro-Capitalist and I can see why you might take the positions that you’re taking in this thread.

Most of us live in ‘societies’ and societies function more smoothly when there are minimal rules, regulations and laws. Morality aside, we don’t generally get to pick and choose what R/R/Ls we follow and what we don’t, without certain consequences—fines, imprisonment, et. al.

Anarchists are all for anarchy until the real anarchists show up with guns, shovels and pitchforks doing anarchist crap, at their expense.

If a feature is patented under US patent law (or any other country’s patent office), then it’s illegal to utilize that feature without permission, which might include a licensing fee, as I mentioned above.

I’m guessing that most companies would love to license their I.P., even to competitors, because it generates revenue for future ideas.

Whether you “care”, or not, is a moot point. And it’s not a ‘moral’ issue, it’s a legal one.

Try copying Gucci, or Fendi handbags, or wallets and selling them at your local flea market.

Chris

This is a moral question. I am not an anarchist nor a libertarian. I understand that there are consequences for not following laws. Legal =/= moral. An immoral law is not a law that I feel obligated to follow.

The handbag argument has already been addressed. I would never condone fraud.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 312
Location: Miami, Florida

copperheaded wrote:

This is a moral question. I am not an anarchist nor a libertarian. I understand that there are consequences for not following laws. Legal =/= moral. An immoral law is not a law that I feel obligated to follow.

The handbag argument has already been addressed. I would never condone fraud.

Buddy, you’re just an anonymous guy on an obscure flashlight board, so I don’t really have much invested in you, or your opinions.

The girlfriend’s out clothes shopping for a Caribbean cruise in two weeks and I’m off of work, surfing the web.

If you view US patent law as being immoral, allowing you to ignore what it stands for and the consequences of violating it, or you feel that companies should be free to rip off features without compensation, for use in their own creations, than by all means patronize those companies, like Ganzo and UltraFire.

No skin off of my back, but when you say you’re not anarchistic, at least in part, you might want to self-reflect.

We don’t get to label laws just/unjust (moral/immoral) for the purpose of violating them scot-free.

Anyhow, I’ve said my peace and so the last word is yours.

Chris

c0pperheaded
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/30/2017 - 15:57
Posts: 1
Location: SW Indiana

ChrisGarrett wrote:

We don’t get to label laws just/unjust (moral/immoral) for the purpose of violating them scot-free.

Stop lying. I never said anything about justice nor violating laws scot-free. In fact, I said the opposite. I said I am willing to debate this topic, but you are clearly not tall enough for this ride if you are going to resort to lying about what I said.

cellguy
cellguy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/12/2012 - 15:59
Posts: 836
Location: Indiana

I think we can all agree to disagree on this topic. No one is changing anyone else’s mind today and I think both side of the topic have adequately expressed themselves. Of course you can always go at it in PM! Wink

Current Favorites:

BLF Q8, Thrunite TC20, Convoy L6

 

 

 

EasyB
Online
Last seen: 30 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 15:24
Posts: 1402
Location: Ohio

I think this is more a moral issue rather than legal. We are not lawyers looking to prosecute ganzo, we are just people looking to make the right decision for ourselves. And there is a distinction between legal and moral. We must consider whether laws are moral because to follow all laws without question is extreme and unreasonable.

Regarding IP, I think there are good and bad applications of the law, and one should look at each case individually to determine if one can morally support a company violating the law.

Back to the original topic, I have not handled any ganzo knives, but I have handled some byrds and they are very nice quality.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 312
Location: Miami, Florida

c0pperheaded wrote:
ChrisGarrett wrote:

We don’t get to label laws just/unjust (moral/immoral) for the purpose of violating them scot-free.

Stop lying. I never said anything about justice nor violating laws scot-free. In fact, I said the opposite. I said I am willing to debate this topic, but you are clearly not tall enough for this ride if you are going to resort to lying about what I said.

Nice burner account!

Chris

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 9 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 1594
Location: Southeast, PA

Buy what you want, let the BS for the Real Lawyers.
Peace OUT

All men are equal when their memory fades

Pulsar
Pulsar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 07/29/2011 - 00:41
Posts: 5834
Location: Maine

Well then….

A good kershaw, I would recommend try the skyline. Love mine to death

Pages