Sofirn SP70 Alone $50, PM for AMZ US CODE(LIMITED)

2229 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tom_182
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2012 - 03:44
Posts: 118
Location: Germany
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

Tom_182 wrote:
I’m sure it was told somewhere but can’t find it. Does anyone know the driver diameter?

 


The driver diameter is 30mm, so it should also fit the Convoy L6 buck driver. The LED board is 40mm.

Alles klar, danke! Wink

Relampago
Relampago's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 04/14/2019 - 11:44
Posts: 342

There is nothing wrong with the SP70 Kit. In fact, it checks all the marks for me. Tail switch w/momentary, check. Super bright, check. Good batteries, check. Wide hot spot, check. Weighty for thug beatings, check. Tint, it has one, check. All kidding aside, I am anxious for the BLF version because it is sure to kick ass. I’m just wondering what the consensus will be on the specs and how we will resolve the range of priorities. AR glass, fancy springs, perfect button alignment, etc.

“Electricity is really just organized lightning”
― George Carlin

the4ds9
the4ds9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 10/28/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 150

I now like my Sofirn SP70 more than ever. What happened was I noticed a voltage inequality between the 2 EBL 26650 cells after using to where they needed recharge. I correctly attributed this to the lack of good contact between cells, due to Flat tops. I drove to Home Depot and purchased a pack of Neodymium Disc Magnets (pictured). The foam adhesive removed easily, and the bare magnet fit the Flat top well. Now I can feel both cells are equally drained and the runtime has dramatically and to my great delight increased as one expects and hopes of 2×26650 5000 mAh rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Perfection achieved on a strict budget!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

Of course, you do have all the safety and performance issues that comes with using magnets. This is why they are not recommended.

Caleb
Caleb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 35 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 01:28
Posts: 563

Sofirn, please update the price in the title of this thread.

With code, the SP70 alone is $51.99 on Amazon US… not $50.

Thanks.

Funtastic
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 237
Location: New Zealand

Lux-Perpetua wrote:
My SP70 (kit version) has arrived 2 days ago. I’m very satisfied with it. I didn’t find any imperfections on the body/anodization nor in the reflector. It seems Sofirn made big progress in dust-free assembly. Thumbs Up Those 26650 cells included in the kit version (from Amazon DE) seem to be their standard 26650s with 5.500mAh and without “High Drain” label.

!{width:95%}https://abload.de/img/sp70r5kho.png!

Check your tail cap and bezel.

My two were received with dented tail caps and one dent in the bezel. Two separate parcels as well. Seems Sofirn need to add more protection.

peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 117
Location: EOK

Wow big, hefty light. Just what I was looking for – but won’t turn on. DOA it seems. Green Shockli 26650s worked just fine in D4S. Topped them off to 4.2 last night. Connections cleaned, head and tail as tight as I can get them. Bummer.

First light I have gotten where it won’t turn on right out of the box (well, after the cells are in anyhow).

Guess I will be pushing back to Amazon in the morning.

cncyana
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/24/2013 - 02:21
Posts: 510
Location: los angeles
the4ds9 wrote:
I now like my Sofirn SP70 more than ever. What happened was I noticed a voltage inequality between the 2 EBL 26650 cells after using to where they needed recharge. I correctly attributed this to the lack of good contact between cells, due to Flat tops. I drove to Home Depot and purchased a pack of Neodymium Disc Magnets (pictured). The foam adhesive removed easily, and the bare magnet fit the Flat top well. Now I can feel both cells are equally drained and the runtime has dramatically and to my great delight increased as one expects and hopes of 2×26650 5000 mAh rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Perfection achieved on a strict budget! ![url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Z50cQngx/DAE217-B4-9-AED-4-DBD-96-E1-3-FEBD8-FB3817.jpg[/img][/url]!

I think the magnet material itself is not a good electrical conductor and most of the current might be passing through the thin plating on the surface of each magnet (probably nickel plating). For flat top batteries I would cut a small round piece of copper (copper plate 2mm thick from Lowes) and solder it on top.

Life’s Questions/Answers here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12

cncyana
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/24/2013 - 02:21
Posts: 510
Location: los angeles

peg matite wrote:
Wow big, hefty light. Just what I was looking for – but won’t turn on. DOA it seems. Green Shockli 26650s worked just fine in D4S. Topped them off to 4.2 last night. Connections cleaned, head and tail as tight as I can get them. Bummer.

First light I have gotten where it won’t turn on right out of the box (well, after the cells are in anyhow).

Guess I will be pushing back to Amazon in the morning.

Sorry to hear about the DOA. Did the green LED light up the side switch? I assume the connection between each battery in series is good. If you have a few 18650 button top batteries, maybe you can use the plastic tube adapters and try those batteries?

Life’s Questions/Answers here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12

peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 117
Location: EOK

cncyana wrote:
peg matite wrote:
Wow big, hefty light. Just what I was looking for – but won’t turn on. DOA it seems. Green Shockli 26650s worked just fine in D4S. Topped them off to 4.2 last night. Connections cleaned, head and tail as tight as I can get them. Bummer.

First light I have gotten where it won’t turn on right out of the box (well, after the cells are in anyhow).

Guess I will be pushing back to Amazon in the morning.

Sorry to hear about the DOA. Did the green LED light up the side switch? I assume the connection between each battery in series is good. If you have a few 18650 button top batteries, maybe you can use the plastic tube adapters and try those batteries?

No green. Tried 18650s – also no luck. Sad

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

peg matite wrote:
cncyana wrote:
peg matite wrote:
Wow big, hefty light. Just what I was looking for – but won’t turn on. DOA it seems. Green Shockli 26650s worked just fine in D4S. Topped them off to 4.2 last night. Connections cleaned, head and tail as tight as I can get them. Bummer.

First light I have gotten where it won’t turn on right out of the box (well, after the cells are in anyhow).

Guess I will be pushing back to Amazon in the morning.

Sorry to hear about the DOA. Did the green LED light up the side switch? I assume the connection between each battery in series is good. If you have a few 18650 button top batteries, maybe you can use the plastic tube adapters and try those batteries?

No green. Tried 18650s – also no luck. Sad


So your batteries do make contact from head to tail?

You might try loading the batteries, but leave the tail cap off then run a jumper wire from battery negative to the battery tube. This bypasses the tail switch.

You also might try removing the battery tube from the head and make sure there is no glue on top of the driver. The battery tube has to screw down and press on the drivers outer ring. I had a little glue on mine, but not enough to prevent a connection. If they added a bit too much glue it could harden on the driver ring and prevent the battery tube from screwing all the way down and making good contact.

Also make sure the tail cap retaining ring is tight.

peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 117
Location: EOK

Yep cncyana and Jason your suspicion was warranted. I found a pair of protected button-top 18650’s, adding about 6 mm total length and, BINGO, let there be light. I then remembered I had a faulty Folomov travel charger with the magnets (would charge batteries but didn’t work in reverse to charge a device), so I scavanged one of the magnets as a spacer between the too-short, flat-top, 26650s and things work fine now.

All modes and turbo seem to be working fine. Will now check and make sure batteries discharge evenly. If not, I guess maybe I will solder a blob on them.

Boy I like the light. It is a tank. I have lot’s of lights but not a single “thwacker” until now.

Thanks guys.

cncyana
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/24/2013 - 02:21
Posts: 510
Location: los angeles

peg matite wrote:
Yep cncyana and Jason your suspicion was warranted. I found a pair of protected button-top 18650’s, adding about 6 mm total length and, BINGO, let there be light. I then remembered I had a faulty Folomov travel charger with the magnets (would charge batteries but didn’t work in reverse to charge a device), so I scavanged one of the magnets as a spacer between the too-short, flat-top, 26650s and things work fine now.

All modes and turbo seem to be working fine. Will now check and make sure batteries discharge evenly. If not, I guess maybe I will solder a blob on them.

Boy I like the light. It is a tank. I have lot’s of lights but not a single “thwacker” until now.

Thanks guys.

Now I know what to do if mine looks DOA. Thanks for the info!

Life’s Questions/Answers here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12

Funtastic
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 237
Location: New Zealand

Sofirn 26650 HD 25A review

Official specs

Capacity: 5000mAh (min 4900mAh)
Continuous discharge current: 25A

My tests

Capacity: 4600mAh

They perform as good as a Samsung INR18650-30Q up to 10A.

Below graph is measured with my computerized Battery Analyzer at 5A, 10A, 15A & 20A

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

Your graph is not showing temperatures at all.

If it completed the 20A test without exceeding it’s max safe temperature (typically 80°C) then doesn’t that mean it’s rated for at least 20A?

Funtastic
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 237
Location: New Zealand

JasonWW wrote:
Your graph is not showing temperatures at all.

If it completed the 20A test without exceeding it’s max safe temperature (typically 80°C) then doesn’t that mean it’s rated for at least 20A?

I’m still learning when it comes to the max discharge curve. Does it always have to reach 80 degrees to show a max rating?. I’ve seen tests from HKJ that have bad discharge curves which haven’t reached 80 degrees and they’re too high.

I’ve tested 14500 cells and the curves and capacity at that current look terrible without 80 degrees being reached.

EDIT: If I’m wrong them I’ll alter my first comment

Funtastic
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 237
Location: New Zealand

I edited my first comment. Everyone can make up their own mind as to whether the 20A is acceptable Smile

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 4170
Location: Ślōnsk
cncyana wrote:
the4ds9 wrote:
I now like my Sofirn SP70 more than ever. What happened was I noticed a voltage inequality between the 2 EBL 26650 cells after using to where they needed recharge. I correctly attributed this to the lack of good contact between cells, due to Flat tops. I drove to Home Depot and purchased a pack of Neodymium Disc Magnets (pictured). The foam adhesive removed easily, and the bare magnet fit the Flat top well. Now I can feel both cells are equally drained and the runtime has dramatically and to my great delight increased as one expects and hopes of 2×26650 5000 mAh rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Perfection achieved on a strict budget! ![url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Z50cQngx/DAE217-B4-9-AED-4-DBD-96-E1-3-FEBD8-FB3817.jpg[/img][/url]!

I think the magnet material itself is not a good electrical conductor and most of the current might be passing through the thin plating on the surface of each magnet (probably nickel plating).


No. Magnets having poor resistance is a myth. The material has poor resistance but large diameter and short length means the total resistance is negligible.

This magnet is a 1.53 mm long AWG -1 (yes, negative) solid NdFeB core wire. Despite poor material this conductor has a resistance of about 32 µΩ. This means that with a light pulling 10A the voltage drop is ~0.00032V.

Note that the number doesn’t include contact resistance which is likely higher than that (I would love someone more knowledgable to chime in).

In this case: the adhesive layer is likely an insulator which breaks connection.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

Try using the magnet on a cell in a battery charger that measures the internal resistance. You will see a big increase. I’m not sure if this directly effects the performance on a FET driver, I haven’t tried to measure the amp draw difference, but I assume it would.

That, plus the potential to move around if dropped and cause a short makes me not want to ever use them. I’ll just solder blob a cell or get button tops or solder on a button top.

Funtastic
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 237
Location: New Zealand

20A at 64 degrees
25A at 70

Even though it didn’t hit the 80 degrees temp I don’t think it’s handling the 25A current well at all.

Keep in mind that my CBA has a voltage drop of 0.03V at 20A & 0.04V at 25A so it’s not spot on but works well enough to show performance

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

There is more of this battery conversation here if anyone is interested.

nick779
nick779's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 15:46
Posts: 295
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Subbing.

Coman
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 09/01/2018 - 16:49
Posts: 59
Location: Germany

I will use Liitokala 26650 (5000mah specs), it’s ok ?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

Coman wrote:
I will use Liitokala 26650 (5000mah specs), it’s ok ?

The older cyan and black are good cells (a good choice assuming you can solder blob them for series contact), the new blue 5100mah seem to be questionable. Like always, buy from a reputable store that does not sale fakes.

Here is a repost of my battery tests from a few pages ago.

JasonWW wrote:
Okay, I did some lumen testing on the SP70 with the Sofirn HD 25A, the black Liitokala and the Aspire 4300 with my Texas_Ace Lumen Tube and Maukka calibration light.

I noticed the light didn’t get hot as quickly as it did during my tail cap amp draw test. Sure enough, the springs on the tail cap do reduce output, so I did tests both with the stock “tail cap on” as well as with a short 8ga wire eliminating the tail cap resistance. I took measurements at Turn on and 30 seconds.

SP70 —————————————— T.O. —— 30s.
Sofirn HD 25A with tail cap – 5270lm, 4890lm
with 8ga wire across the tail – 5800lm, 5390lm

Black Lii 5000 with tail cap – 5250lm, 4700lm
with 8ga wire across tail – — 5570lm, 5200lm

Aspire 4300 with tail cap – 5080lm, 4720lm
with 8ga wire across tail – 5900lm, 5350lm

I took the wire across the tail measurements first then took the tail cap measurements second with about 3-5 minutes of cool down time in between, no recharging. So the “tail cap on” measurements might be a tad higher if I had recharged the cells fully in between, but not significantly higher. I just didn’t have time to do full recharges between every test.

These numbers are quite impressive. They are pretty much equal to my Lexel made FET driven L6 with bypassed springs dual BeCu springs from BlueSwordM and 5700K emitter from MTN E. I tested that light with the same black Liitokala 5000 and Aspire 4300 cells. I measured the L6 a short time ago with the tail cap on. I did “Turn on” and 20 seconds because the light got hot so fast. Here are the results.

Modded L6 ——— T.O. —— 20s.
Black Lii 5000 – 5300lm, 5100lm

Aspire 4300 – 5500lm, 5250lm

The Sofirn HD 25A cells also seem to be impressive. They beat the black Liitokala’s (maybe 60 cycles on them) and are really close to the Aspire 4300 cells (maybe 20 cycles on them). The Sofirn HD cells did not seem to draw the same amperage as the other 2 cells, yet the lumens don’t reflect that. It makes me wonder what spring bypass wires alone can do.

Just remember that lumens are tricky to measure with high accuracy and the Turn on numbers just flash for a quick second so I’m not sure how accurate that is. Maybe 1 second numbers are more accurate.

I also measured the parasitic drain at 1.88 milliamps. This is a lot lower than on the S70S which had a 4.43 milliamp drain. So it’s better, but still pretty high. I wouldn’t leave it powered up for months on end. Turn the tail switch off for any type of extended storage.

I plan to do a review thread with all my measurements and beam shots put together. I’ve just been super busy the last couple of weeks.

Coman
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 09/01/2018 - 16:49
Posts: 59
Location: Germany
Quote:
assuming you can solder blob them for series contact

Why ?
Black Liitokala have 65.8mm Smile
It’s perfect for Convoy L6 or Thorfire S70s. I use.

What is

Quote:
with 8ga wire across the tail
? Pictures ? Smile

Thx

Funtastic
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 237
Location: New Zealand

Coman wrote:
Quote:
with 8ga wire across the tail
? Pictures ? Smile

Thx

Just perform your own spring bypass. You don’t need pictures of the 8ga across the tail.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas
Coman wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
assuming you can solder blob them for series contact

Why ?
Black Liitokala have 65.8mm Smile
It’s perfect for Convoy L6 or Thorfire S70s. I use.


I have black and cyan Liitokala and neither make contact.
Coman wrote:

What is
JasonWW wrote:
with 8ga wire across the tail
? Pictures ? Smile

Thx


I checked it closer, it’s 10ga and 8” long. Leftover speaker wire. No big deal.
Coman
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 09/01/2018 - 16:49
Posts: 59
Location: Germany

I can not understand.

Thorfire S70s: 74mm (head) xhp70 (3960lm) – 87000cd (680m) max
Sofirn SP70: 90mm (head) xhp70.2 (5500lm) – 89733cd (687m) max

Why ?
Are they equal at distance throw ? Facepalm

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 4573
Location: Canada

No, the Sofirn SP70 is heavily underrated.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 10768
Location: Houston Texas

Coman wrote:
I can not understand.

Thorfire S70s: 74mm (head) xhp70 (3960lm) – 87000cd (680m) max
Sofirn SP70: 90mm (head) xhp70.2 (5500lm) – 89733cd (687m) max

Why?
Are they equal at distance throw?


S70S is about 550 meters throw.
SP70 is about 860 meters throw.

You should never trust factory specs. Try to find good reviews where the lights are actually measured.

Pages