Osram Oslon Boost HX

204 posts / 0 new
Last post
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5579
Location: Ślōnsk

0.5 mm² will be good for the smallest lights where even 1mm² is too large. Think Lumintop GT Nano with a shorty tube. That’s what got me excited.
It would also be good in small multi-LED lights, but only for those of us who pick sustained performance over turbo.
You’re right, the thermal pad is just too small and it doesn’t look like a good choice for absolute throw records.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Agro wrote:
0.5 mm² will be good for the smallest lights where even 1mm² is too large. Think Lumintop GT Nano with a shorty tube. That’s what got me excited.
It would also be good in small multi-LED lights, but only for those of us who pick sustained performance over turbo.
You’re right, the thermal pad is just too small and it doesn’t look like a good choice for absolute throw records.

Well, running a larger LED at lower currents will still get better efficiency and sustained performance though…
The smaller LED size would just mean a smaller tighter hotspot.
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5579
Location: Ślōnsk

Enderman wrote:
Agro wrote:
0.5 mm² will be good for the smallest lights where even 1mm² is too large. Think Lumintop GT Nano with a shorty tube. That’s what got me excited.
It would also be good in small multi-LED lights, but only for those of us who pick sustained performance over turbo.
You’re right, the thermal pad is just too small and it doesn’t look like a good choice for absolute throw records.

Well, running a larger LED at lower currents will still get better efficiency and sustained performance though…
The smaller LED size would just mean a smaller tighter hotspot.

Sustained lm – larger wins. Sustained cd – smaller does.
JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 768
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Enderman wrote:

The thermal pad is far smaller than any 3030 or 4040 LED.
Its overcurrent performance will be absolutely crap.
There is a reason we are using CULNM1 / CSLNM1 in flashlights and not the CELNM1.
U = 4040
S = 3030
E = 1915 (1.9mm x 1.5mm)
And that’s just the package size, the thermal pad is only a fraction of that.

I bet max luminance will be right in the same range as the 3030 2mm² (CSLPM1). Yes it’s a smaller package and therefore a smaller thermal pad. But it’s also only a 0.5mm² die. If we look at it a straight ratio of emitter area:thermal pad area, then the numbers are as follows:

[Lower is better, though with diminishing returns]

1mm² 3030 = 0.40
2mm² 3030 = 0.75
1mm² 4040 = 0.16
2mm² 4040 = 0.29
0.5mm² 1915 = 0.66
1mm² 1915 = 1.33

Based on test data from the first three, it’s seems reasonable to expect Boost HM to perform similarly to the CSLPM1 in over-driving situations. One thing to note though is the thermal pad is not centered nor completely overlapping the chip in the 1915 package. Idk what impact this has on thermal conductivity/resistance.

I still think it’ll be a nice option for power conserving throwers at what I predict will be 7-8W max but still luminance competitive with the rest of the white flat / boost line-up.

PS: The binning for the Boost HM seems 10% higher than the HL and they claim 255cd/mm² within specs. Mouser will have 4000 in stock on Feb 10 link

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Agro wrote:

Sustained lm – larger wins. Sustained cd – smaller does.

Ah, true.
luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2332
Location: X
Enderman wrote:
Agro wrote:
0.5 mm² will be good for the smallest lights where even 1mm² is too large. Think Lumintop GT Nano with a shorty tube. That’s what got me excited. It would also be good in small multi-LED lights, but only for those of us who pick sustained performance over turbo. You’re right, the thermal pad is just too small and it doesn’t look like a good choice for absolute throw records.
Well, running a larger LED at lower currents will still get better efficiency and sustained performance though… The smaller LED size would just mean a smaller tighter hotspot.

Hmm… So. How Cree production process can be better than Osram one? I mean XP G2 vs XP E2 family of emitters where older and bigger brother beats the smaller one… Yes smaller is more efficient one but for the lux/candela hunters it never prevailed over XP G2.

I expected same if not better technology from Osram. Where Osram WF1 would act just like XP E2 from Cree offering optimal performance with good efficiency while Boost HX would act as his name says; boosted lux/lumen performance… But as you guys says that may never happen so imho conclusion is that we don’t have any substantial lux/cd improvements even in 2020.
XP G2 is still good emitter comparing to those new Osrams but biggest question of all for me is:

Where did father Cree gone? Highest performing lux/cd emitter is old XP-G2???? Come one Cree! Let your CEO starts reading light forums!

chemnitz
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2020 - 17:24
Posts: 5
Location: Detroit MI

The HL (1mmsq) is already end of life, as someone mentioned in another thread.

The HM looks quite interesting, lower rated power at 4-5W (without overdriving, you guys are crazy!) but only 0.5mmsq emitter. Very impressive. https://www.mouser.com/pdfDocs/KWCELMM1TG_EN.pdf

It looks like you can place your order directly with Mouser, too! Who will be the first to try this? Not high power, so I’m still looking for Boost HX, but if you’re looking for a laser spot this will be pretty crazy.

(photo is not correct on this listing) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/OSRAM-Opto-Semiconductors/KW-CELMM1...

EDIT: I see Jared already posted this, whoops.

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Yeah you’re right, in smaller low power/low cooling flashlights the CELMM1 might be a better choice than the 1mm2 white flat.
More sustained candela.
I wonder what the MCPCB for it will look like…if there are any yet.

Photonica
Photonica's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 46 min ago
Joined: 09/20/2019 - 10:10
Posts: 310
Location: Midwest USA

Something is not clicking here: The OSRAM link says ‘Therefore this LED is ideally suited as a powerful light source for high-definition MEMS AFS.”. MEMS (microelectromechanical systems) AFS (airflow sensor)? Or is there another MEMS AFS?

More Photons!

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5579
Location: Ślōnsk

Enderman wrote:
I wonder what the MCPCB for it will look like…if there are any yet.

Similarly to this:
https://led4power.com/product/mosled-extreme-mosx-ceramic-insulation-lux...

BTW this style of footprint is quite common in automotive LEDs nowadays. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some board available.

chemnitz
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2020 - 17:24
Posts: 5
Location: Detroit MI

Photonica wrote:
Something is not clicking here: The OSRAM link says ‘Therefore this LED is ideally suited as a powerful light source for high-definition MEMS AFS.”. MEMS (microelectromechanical systems) AFS (airflow sensor)? Or is there another MEMS AFS?

AFS refers to Adaptive Front-lighting System, which goes by many different names but is most commonly called ADB (adaptive driving beam). It is basically a video projector type output from automotive headlamps, allowing them to dim in certain areas to avoid glare to other drivers.

I design LED PCBs for the automotive lighting industry, lots of cool developments happening right now. But I also want to use the Oslon HX for a non-automotive application!

led4power
led4power's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 12/29/2012 - 09:48
Posts: 1252
Location: Croatia,EU

Footprint of this LED is too problematic for DTP technology, dimensions are just too small, only potential solution are isolated boards which can be made more precise; this is quite important for these small LEDs because smaller die also means accuracy of LED positioning must be better compared to bigger LEDs.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6376
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Yet it doesn’t seem to occur to the automotive folks that glare can be avoided by using warm or neutral white light…

Enderman
Enderman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/03/2016 - 22:42
Posts: 4021
Location: Vancouver, Canada

led4power wrote:

Footprint of this LED is too problematic for DTP technology, dimensions are just too small, only potential solution are isolated boards which can be made more precise; this is quite important for these small LEDs because smaller die also means accuracy of LED positioning must be better compared to bigger LEDs.


Yeah, and on top of that the die is compeltely off-center making aligning and focusing even more of a pain that it would already be.
JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 768
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Jerommel wrote:
Yet it doesn’t seem to occur to the automotive folks that glare can be avoided by using warm or neutral white light…
Thumbs Up X10000
BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 939
Location: MN
Jerommel wrote:
Yet it doesn’t seem to occur to the automotive folks that glare can be avoided by using warm or neutral white light…

Not sure if you’re saying this seriously or sarcastically, but I hope for a switch back to warmer headlights because they’re so much less irritating at night, even against properly aimed/hooded HIDs and LEDs in CW.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6376
Location: the Hague, Netherlands
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
Yet it doesn’t seem to occur to the automotive folks that glare can be avoided by using warm or neutral white light…

Not sure if you’re saying this seriously or sarcastically, but I hope for a switch back to warmer headlights because they’re so much less irritating at night, even against properly aimed/hooded HIDs and LEDs in CW.


Both seriously and sarcastically.
I mean it’s plain stupid that automotive lighting “experts” are still stuck in the angry blue era in 2020.
What the heck is wrong with these people? Seriously !
Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 676
Location: United Kingdom

Found this on Twitter yesterday..

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 939
Location: MN

It’s the drop-ins and lifted trucks that are the worst offenders, the Beamers and Mercedes aren’t so bad because they’re usually right on your tail anyway.

You have to re-aim your low-beams and fog lights (which they ALWAYS have on Angry ) when you lift your truck a foot or more, who knew?

Jerommel wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
Yet it doesn’t seem to occur to the automotive folks that glare can be avoided by using warm or neutral white light…

Not sure if you’re saying this seriously or sarcastically, but I hope for a switch back to warmer headlights because they’re so much less irritating at night, even against properly aimed/hooded HIDs and LEDs in CW.


Both seriously and sarcastically.
I mean it’s plain stupid that automotive lighting “experts” are still stuck in the angry blue era in 2020.
What the heck is wrong with these people? Seriously !

They’re still riding the wave of “blue” lights meaning very expensive HIDs. The more area lighting and headlights shift to CW LEDs adn they become the norm, the sooner this will change.

Driving on the freeway here it’s rare to see any businesses that don’t have LED exterior lighting, and it’s usually cold and greenish. We’re living in tint-snob hell lol

As more info about these lights affecting sleep and causing eye strain comes out things will change there too, IIRC Phoenix and a couple other cities are trying out super warm street lighting already?

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 22 sec ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 853
Location: Ohio, United States

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
They’re still riding the wave of “blue” lights meaning very expensive HIDs. The more area lighting and headlights shift to CW LEDs adn they become the norm, the sooner this will change.

Driving on the freeway here it’s rare to see any businesses that don’t have LED exterior lighting, and it’s usually cold and greenish. We’re living in tint-snob hell lol

As more info about these lights affecting sleep and causing eye strain comes out things will change there too, IIRC Phoenix and a couple other cities are trying out super warm street lighting already?

There is still better binning, costing, and availability in the CW color range. So there’s that…

As far as exterior LED lighting in my area, a lot of it doesn’t stand up to flashlight standards, but it beats the crap out of the old metal halide, mercury vapor, and especially high pressure sodium lights.

The better solution for sleep issues (and light pollution, too) is paying attention to where the light is cast. Engineering your fixtures to direct all the light downard, to not reflect much upwards off surfaces, etc. will keep it out of both the sky and the bedroom windows. Until then, I strongly recommend blackout curtains.

EDC Rotation: ZL SC62 | Jaxman E2L XP-G2 5A | Purple S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A | D4 w/ Luxeon V | RRT-01 
EagTac D25C Ti | DQG Slim AA Ti | UF-T1 by CRX | Olight S1 | Klarus Mini One Ti
L6 XHP70.2 P2 4000K FET+7135 | Jaxman M8 | MF02 | Jaxman Z1 CULNM1.TG | Blue S2+ w/ ML Special
In-progress: Supfire M6 3xXHP50.2 
Others: Nitecore EC23 | Nebo Twyst | Streamlight ProTac 1AA | TerraLux LightStar 100

chemnitz
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2020 - 17:24
Posts: 5
Location: Detroit MI

Press releases for the Boost HM: http://www.semiconductor-today.com/news_items/2020/jan/osram-150120.shtml

It is also in stock at Mouser now. Who’s going to try? Not enough power for my application. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/OSRAM-Opto-Semiconductors/KW-CELMM1...

Still can’t find the Boost HX anywhere.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6376
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Quote:

“Osram’s new Oslon Boost HM LED enables ultra-slim designs for headlights”

Oh, great, even smaller pin point light sources to burn our retinas…

I wonder if these people even drive / ride in traffic at night..

chemnitz
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2020 - 17:24
Posts: 5
Location: Detroit MI

Got my hands on some samples – very excited to see how these perform!

Pages