Fireflies E07 preview

1979 posts / 0 new
Last post
dmprice79
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 10:04
Posts: 30
Location: United States

Youtube the E07 and Martin from
M4xM4d has a video about the spacer. He uses a solid copper electrical wire. Juat look that video up.

DPrice

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 933
Location: Louisiana
lumiere wrote:
shirnask wrote:
the tubes are too short to use Samsung 21700’s without copper washer in the tailcap
What copper washer did you use? Just a standard M14×20×1.5mm?

20×24×1.5mm

Copper Flat Washer

Martin’s solid wire fix works fine but the wire I have on hand is too thick and exposes the oring completely so I used the copper washers I had already for the PL47

dmprice79
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 10:04
Posts: 30
Location: United States

Yep pretty much. Lol. Oh well they are not called premium budget lights for nothing. Ha

DPrice

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2368
Location: US

Adhara wrote:
Mine showed up today, having been ordered directly from FireFlies store. It was ordered with a Samsung 40T option, as listed on the store page (yes, can be had cheaper elsewhere, but figured throw them the shekels, and surely it’s been tested in the light). This was ordered before the battery size issues came to light from a couple of review videos.

Well, light had battery already installed, and crushed. I’m not impressed. Sure, the light works, but I’m not messing around with cells with the slightest issue. I’m not going to bother trying to resolve this with fireflies – seems likely a waste of my time, so I’ll consider it a cheap bottle of wine drunk and gone.

Bummer, I had high hopes for the light & new company.

If your battery got crushed it’s likely because it HAS to be shipped IN the light which is not a good way to guarantee a battery will not be crushed. If you have something NON conductive you can probably pry it back up a little but the battery should be safe to use if it makes contact. Now you know, stick with your separate purchase for future batteries.

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 52 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3412
Location: Calif

Just got my yellow E07. Haven’t tried opening it up yet, but I can see from looking in the front that one leg is broken off.

…… What am I looking for? In mine I see (4) holes besides the 7 emitters. 2 at each end and all about the same depth. Does that mean I got a good one?
PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 878
Location: Rochester, NY

I’d like to thank those that shared the info about their lights.

I’ve been contemplating an E07 of my own, but I’m afraid I’d have to wait until they get the kinks out (battery tube length, proper screw placement and unmolested optic) before I’ll consider it again.

I know that these first runs can be a little risky, but dang, some of this seems very sloppy.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3616
Location: California

saypat wrote:
Just got my yellow E07. Haven’t tried opening it up yet, but I can see from looking in the front that one leg is broken off. …… What am I looking for? In mine I see (4) holes besides the 7 emitters. 2 at each end and all about the same depth. Does that mean I got a good one?
There are 4 holes. One for each leg. If you look into those holes all 4 should look identical with a white dot at the bottom.

In my light, I can tell one leg is broken off because the 4 holes do not look identical. 3 of them look the same, but the 4th looks noticeably different.

Adhara
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 01:57
Posts: 197
Location: Usa

contactcr wrote:
Adhara wrote:
Mine showed up today, having been ordered directly from FireFlies store. It was ordered with a Samsung 40T option, as listed on the store page (yes, can be had cheaper elsewhere, but figured throw them the shekels, and surely it’s been tested in the light). This was ordered before the battery size issues came to light from a couple of review videos.

Well, light had battery already installed, and crushed. I’m not impressed. Sure, the light works, but I’m not messing around with cells with the slightest issue. I’m not going to bother trying to resolve this with fireflies – seems likely a waste of my time, so I’ll consider it a cheap bottle of wine drunk and gone.

Bummer, I had high hopes for the light & new company.

If your battery got crushed it’s likely because it HAS to be shipped IN the light which is not a good way to guarantee a battery will not be crushed. If you have something NON conductive you can probably pry it back up a little but the battery should be safe to use if it makes contact. Now you know, stick with your separate purchase for future batteries.

This is not a crush from a battery rattle/bump – the battery is too long to properly fit without the bottom spring being fully compressed, and then some, else no contact by tailcap and no light.

First thing I did was remove tail to check if correct battery was sent, and it was already crushed.

The top “spring” is apparently compressed and then solder-blobbed at the factory (perhaps a quick and sloppy attempt to adjust length issues?).

My tailcap was not fully tightened, and contact/function of light occurs well before full tightening (which I’m not going to do).

And yes, as I said, the cell could be had elsewhere cheaper, I like to support a new vendor by sending them a package deal, even if slightly more costly. And it’s reasonable, I think, to assume the recommended battery/batteries from the vendor of the light, offered as a choice when ordering the light, have been tested for proper fit & function.

Add to this the bodged optics, the screw-placement roulette, and the so-so finish (all three present on my example, hey! I see your three issues and raise you to four!), and they’ve lost me as a customer for future products.

I did not expect Lux-RC levels of quality for a relatively inexpensive light, but this does not even live up to its pricing.

Edit: Performance, however, seems to be a different story. With a fairly depleted cell, it’s pretty damn bright for its size and the LED I chose (219b). So, kind of like the beat-up and primered muscle car, it may still provide some giggles. At least until something falls off/fails/explodes.

Flashaholics
Flashaholics's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 635
Location: Wakefield

I’m currently reviewing the XPL 6500k, I’m getting 8300 lumens at turn on, dropping sharply to under half that by 15 seconds. It only gets hot though if you bash another 15 seconds within 10 minutes.

It’s my new favourite light.

My 4K Lumen Whore Reviews (MS18, X70, MS12, DX80, X80-GT, X45vn etc) - https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

dmprice79
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 10:04
Posts: 30
Location: United States

One last complaint. I was feeling the threads on the tailcap end and it sliced my finger open. Wow. Be careful people them threads are sharp. First time ive ever been cut open by a flashlight.

DPrice

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2368
Location: US

Adhara the tolerances are so tight and the spring bypassed to keep the output high. If they soldered multiple of the layers of the spring together by accident it could be too tight. My batteries sit flush with the light when the tail is off and fit fine.

Adhara
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 01:57
Posts: 197
Location: Usa

contactcr wrote:
Adhara the tolerances are so tight and the spring bypassed to keep the output high. If they soldered multiple of the layers of the spring together by accident it could be too tight. My batteries sit flush with the light when the tail is off and fit fine.
Seeing as it’s my shekels spent on my flashlight and not one someone else paid for, not sure why yours at least fits matters re: my (and other users’) issues.

This kind of sloppiness bingo should not be acceptable, even in a “budget” light.

Edit: Please don’t take this the wrong way, not meant as a swipe at your comment, and I’m glad there are customers that have no significant issues with the light.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2368
Location: US

Im not doubting your issues just seeing if we can suggest something helpful. Let the pity party continue I will keep to myself

netprince
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 06/14/2012 - 13:48
Posts: 517
Location: Virginia

I like the e07 a lot as well, but I would like the button to feel clickier (less squishy).

Mildlyangryjohnny
Mildlyangryjohnny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 10/22/2018 - 01:18
Posts: 85

PBWilson wrote:
I’d like to thank those that shared the info about their lights.

I’ve been contemplating an E07 of my own, but I’m afraid I’d have to wait until they get the kinks out (battery tube length, proper screw placement and unmolested optic) before I’ll consider it again.

I know that these first runs can be a little risky, but dang, some of this seems very sloppy.

I feel it is important to point out people who like their lights tend not to complain about them. You are mostly hearing about the trouble, folks with trouble, are having, because they are the ones talking most.

Do what you want with that information.

the e07 is easily the best edc i have ever owned. And i have owned- many-and regularly used many, for a very, very long time.

Just putting that on the table is all.

Firelight2
Firelight2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 04/08/2011 - 15:17
Posts: 3616
Location: California

First impressions of my yellow E07 now that I’ve tried it with a fully-charged 30T:

  • Ridiculous output. MUCH brighter than a D4. It’s basically as bright as a good popcan light, but in a much smaller package. My XPL HI 4000K E07 is noticeably brighter than my Nichia 219B ROT66 in a ceiling bounce test.
  • The light looks good with good looking anodizing. The bezel and switch lights look great.
  • The yellow anodizing is grainy, like fine sandpaper. This provides better grip, but many people dislike it as it feels a bit like holding a stick of chalk. Comparable textured anodizing is found on the grainy Emisar D4.
  • As expected the E07 is a bit too large for pants-pocket EDC. The size is better for jacket pocket-carry.
  • Even though the output is like that of a big popcan light, the E07 is much smaller and is much easier to hold in the hand.
  • I like the Anduril UI better than the D4 UI. Electronic lockout is a more sensible 4 clicks instead of 6. And I like having double-click from off go to an adjustible ramp.

Overall, this is one impressive light. Well worth adding to any flashaholic’s collection.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 58 min ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2065
Location: United states

So i fully charged my samsung 40t and let the light run for 15 minutes @ 577 lumen.. i detect some kind flicks or PPM later. the light is xpl hi 6500k. how can i fix it ? Thanks

lotrbfme
lotrbfme's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 12/05/2018 - 18:03
Posts: 309
Location: FL

Mildlyangryjohnny wrote:
PBWilson wrote:
I’d like to thank those that shared the info about their lights.

I’ve been contemplating an E07 of my own, but I’m afraid I’d have to wait until they get the kinks out (battery tube length, proper screw placement and unmolested optic) before I’ll consider it again.

I know that these first runs can be a little risky, but dang, some of this seems very sloppy.

I feel it is important to point out people who like their lights tend not to complain about them. You are mostly hearing about the trouble, folks with trouble, are having, because they are the ones talking most.

Do what you want with that information.

the e07 is easily the best edc i have ever owned. And i have owned- many-and regularly used many, for a very, very long time.

Just putting that on the table is all.

You are correct. I love my E07 and just ordered a second one. It is insane bright. And beautiful!!

Adhara
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 01:57
Posts: 197
Location: Usa

PBWilson wrote:
I’d like to thank those that shared the info about their lights.

I’ve been contemplating an E07 of my own, but I’m afraid I’d have to wait until they get the kinks out (battery tube length, proper screw placement and unmolested optic) before I’ll consider it again.

I know that these first runs can be a little risky, but dang, some of this seems very sloppy.

Yes, smart move at this time IMO, unless one is cool with k-mart grab-bag quality roulette.

I’d gladly ship you mine on loan to play with and evaluate, but honestly I don’t think the light is worth the shipping cost at this point.

My mechforce mechtorch arrived at the same time today. Admittedly, priced at 4x the E07, but had the retail been twice what it is, I’d have still been delighted with it.

That’s how a purchase experience should be, even if it’s just well satisfied for the price paid.

With this light as I received it, and similar flaws in review samples/videos, etc., it’s a stay-away recommendation from me for the time being.

It will be interesting to see if FireFlies publishes the review I submitted on their store site, candid but mild compared to my assessment here. My money is on not…

JordanZHP
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 03/25/2017 - 04:37
Posts: 294
Location: Petaluma, CA

Flashaholics wrote:
I’m currently reviewing the XPL 6500k, I’m getting 8300 lumens at turn on, dropping sharply to under half that by 15 seconds. It only gets hot though if you bash another 15 seconds within 10 minutes.

It’s my new favourite light.

Have you tried adjusting the temperature setting? If you check out AdventureSportFlashlights E07 review it looks like it drops output before even getting hot. Lame default setting for sure.

mihlit
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 4 min ago
Joined: 11/08/2018 - 04:50
Posts: 163
Location: Czech Republic

Firelight2 wrote:
In my light, I can tell one leg is broken off because the 4 holes do not look identical. 3 of them look the same, but the 4th looks noticeably different.

Beware that even if one looks completely different, you can still have optic without any broken leg. My optic is fine and one hole looks different. That is because one leg is dirty – it’s bottom part is slightly covered by excess thermal paste. So, you will never know until you take it apart Smile
RT--
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 11/26/2017 - 11:59
Posts: 38
Location: Finland

Mine arrived today. I went for grey with 219B and purple aux, and a 40T.
Of course it has a screw in the wrong hole, and a broken leg. I can see the stripped phillips head through the front. Also, the switch lights are not aligned with the body. Facepalm
Apart from these issues, the light looks and feels great.

PBWilson
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/24/2016 - 17:49
Posts: 878
Location: Rochester, NY

Mildlyangryjohnny wrote:
PBWilson wrote:
I’d like to thank those that shared the info about their lights.

I’ve been contemplating an E07 of my own, but I’m afraid I’d have to wait until they get the kinks out (battery tube length, proper screw placement and unmolested optic) before I’ll consider it again.

I know that these first runs can be a little risky, but dang, some of this seems very sloppy.

I feel it is important to point out people who like their lights tend not to complain about them. You are mostly hearing about the trouble, folks with trouble, are having, because they are the ones talking most.

Do what you want with that information.

the e07 is easily the best edc i have ever owned. And i have owned- many-and regularly used many, for a very, very long time.

Just putting that on the table is all.

I appreciate that and understand your point completely.

Still, it’s hard to ignore that Fireflies has had some challenges with each of their last three releases. Not just one or two reports, but there have been more reports of complaints that make me think I see a trend.

I’ve said before (maybe in this thread) that this light could be a game changer with the output, size, UI and even the awesome looks. I would love to buy one, but the repeated reports of very similar issues makes me pause at this time. I’m not asking for perfection, just tightening up on the details, which I’d bet could be solved down the line with a little care and attention.

I’m not trying to dump on Fireflies. They are putting out lights that appeal to many of us here. They’re doing their homework in the areas of size, features, UI and power. Now if they could work out the kinks. they’d be quite the company.

Flashaholics
Flashaholics's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 635
Location: Wakefield

JordanZHP wrote:
Flashaholics wrote:
I’m currently reviewing the XPL 6500k, I’m getting 8300 lumens at turn on, dropping sharply to under half that by 15 seconds. It only gets hot though if you bash another 15 seconds within 10 minutes.

It’s my new favourite light.

Have you tried adjusting the temperature setting? If you check out AdventureSportFlashlights E07 review it looks like it drops output before even getting hot. Lame default setting for sure.

Yeah I’ve watched Blippi’s review.

I’m using default settings for my review but tbh having the temp set low allows me to reapply turbo within 10 mins. If you knocked the temp allowance up you could get another 10 seconds maybe initially but you would have to dial it right down or it’ll continue to get really hot and going to turbo again would be pointless, it’d step down in a second and get you over 60c as it continues to step down to a few hundred lumens. I’ll probably whack it up a bit though as I only use my lights for reviews and showing off, never for sustained use.

My 4K Lumen Whore Reviews (MS18, X70, MS12, DX80, X80-GT, X45vn etc) - https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

kanton
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 08/22/2018 - 23:39
Posts: 130

So.. there were complaints about short/narrow battery tubes and the wrong assembly resulting in them damaging the optics to somehow make it still work, damaging screws and other parts too. In the thread the manufacturer himself started. And the manufacturer keeps quiet the whole time? Not even a “we will look into that” or any explanation? Meh.

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 933
Location: Louisiana

I’m one of the ones with the issues. To be clear the broken leg on the optics and the screw in the wrong hole does not affect the function of the light in any way and the short tube can be worked around by several different methods. I’m not happy that my lights have these issues but I still like the flashlight and am still glad to have it. For me the more irritating issue is the mushy button.

wolfstyle
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2015 - 11:31
Posts: 82
Location: Ohio

Is the E07 switch same as the PL47 switch?

Flashaholics
Flashaholics's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 635
Location: Wakefield

Cold fingers trying to bash turbo mode isn’t easy.

But unlike Imalent the button is easy to locate!!!!

My 4K Lumen Whore Reviews (MS18, X70, MS12, DX80, X80-GT, X45vn etc) - https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

Flashaholics
Flashaholics's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 635
Location: Wakefield

Does Sunset mode do anything?

My 4K Lumen Whore Reviews (MS18, X70, MS12, DX80, X80-GT, X45vn etc) - https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

M4D M4X
M4D M4X's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2014 - 05:17
Posts: 7413
Location: Austria (GMT + 1)

dimming down to off in 30 minutes iirc

 

already member of M4DM4X.com ?

the best deals are waiting for YOU!

 

before you buy elsewhere mail me: MARTIN@M4DM4X.COM - i will try to save you money!

Pages