Unpopular Flashlight Opinion Thread

333 posts / 0 new
Last post
BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5496
Location: Canada

People who believe color temperatures above 5700k are good, are wrong.

People who prefer rosy tints above 90CRI(except for Cree XP-G3/.2/XP-L2), are wrong.

Some people spend way too much money here.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

elbakan1
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 5 days ago
Joined: 12/05/2013 - 06:48
Posts: 223
Location: Cape coral, Fl.
BurningPlayd0h][quote=elbakan1][quote=BurningPlayd0h wrote:
elbakan1 wrote:
Perpetual Lumen wrote:
Surefire is overpriced.

Surefire is costly, not even expensive, let alone overpriced.


There are other US brands doing to same or better for cheaper. For the same price you can get something that is blows them away IMO.

PFlexPro, Malkoff, Elzetta, HDS and others I’m sure I’m forgetting.

a) PFlexPro is closed because they have a big order and don’t give a damn about the retail biz.
b) Malkoff is a parts supplier turned manufacturer. Very expensive. More than Surefire.
c) Elzetta is more expensive than Surefire too.
d) HDS makes the ugliest flashlights there are. WAY more expensive than Surefire.

I just bought a Surefire Fury Tactical (1500 real lumens) for 139.95.
Is that expensive?.

Cheers.

Lighting up the world one flashlight at a time.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 10680
Location: nyc
Spartan wrote:
I think hot pink is the best color. First, who steals a hot pink flashlight…

That’s what I said for ages, usually about my Barbie Pink WK50. Nice satiny finish, looked like it was made from grandma candy.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 628
Lightbringer wrote:
Spartan wrote:
I think hot pink is the best color. First, who steals a hot pink flashlight…

That’s what I said for ages, usually about my Barbie Pink WK50. Nice satiny finish, looked like it was made from grandma candy.

First……you made me look up Barbie Pink WK50……yeessh

Second…..I rather not mess with grandma candy…..

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 10680
Location: nyc
Spartan wrote:
First……you made me look up Barbie Pink WK50……yeessh

What? Ain’t that bad. Only GB calls it “plum”. Eh, whatever.

One of the few AA lights I can recall that had a FC tailswitch, great for a quick flash’n‘dash.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

argi
argi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/17/2019 - 00:00
Posts: 43

The revolution has begun. Nobody borrows my pink powertools or flashlights. Cool

And yes, Maglites rocks! (with a lot of mods of course)

Long live the side switch (Join the resistance!)

Random Dan
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 06/06/2018 - 22:55
Posts: 82
Location: United States

I had a pink TI 84 back in college. It was great cause everybody has a black Ti 84 and I could always tell mine apart. Then someone stole it Sad

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1845
Location: mid left coast
Random Dan wrote:
I had a pink TI 84 back in college. It was great cause everybody has a black Ti 84 and I could always tell mine apart. Then someone stole it Sad

“The Usual Suspects”

Pay particular attention to the suspect on the right. Body language can be a tip!

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1833
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Spartan wrote:
I think hot pink is the best color. First, who steals a hot pink flashlight…second, there is no confusing hot pink in a drawer.

Unless of course one kinda hot pink fashionista…. Sick

My flashlights are toys. If i were to buy one just for emergencies, red anodizing would be my first choice…and a simple UI.


No joke, back when I had my work notebook/agenda, I only wrote on it with two Bic pens I’d found abandoned inside library books – one purple, one bubblegum pink. They NEVER went missing from my pen cup, unlike the blues and blacks. Even leaving them on top of my otherwise empty desk yided no “yoinks”.

We here say it in jest, but it’s a legitimate life hack Big Smile

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5583
Location: Ślōnsk

Tally-ho wrote:
Prove me wrong (meme) :



Wrong. QTC is example of a ramping UI that involves neither clicking nor waiting.
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5583
Location: Ślōnsk

elbakan1 wrote:

I just bought a Surefire Fury Tactical (1500 real lumens) for 139.95.
Is that expensive?.

Cheers.


Yes, it is.
Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1310
Location: France

Agro wrote:
Wrong. QTC is example of a ramping UI that involves neither clicking nor waiting.

You are right but ramp up and down several times in a raw and report back if you have lower brightness immediately. I remember QTC experiments done here and I remember that you had to wait for the QTC material to recover from compression before having lower brightness. Silly
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5583
Location: Ślōnsk

Just checked. As far as I can tell, it ramps down immediately. Maybe because construction of the light that I tried (CRX mod) prevents overcompression.
QTC is very finicky around firefly mode but othat than this – the only feature I miss in QTC lights is battery check.

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1310
Location: France

You know that in the first place it was a joke about the more and more popular anduril/narsil ramping UI that involve a switch to work, but if you are considering QTC and rotary, you are right and i’m wrong.
Those UI are brillant in themselves for mimicking/imulating a QTC/rotary, its admirable but sometimes the fact that you have to wait for, then pass and miss the “right” brightness you need : click-hold “oops too much”, click-hold “oops too low”, click-hold…makes it less straight-forward than an UI like Bistro. Too much choice in brightness settings. Then you will say that anduril can be configured with stepped ramping. Darn, ToyKeeper is good at making my joke irrelevant.
But again it was just a joke about smooth ramping UI using a switch.
Well forget it.

kuzuna
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/30/2018 - 15:03
Posts: 41

elbakan1 wrote:
d) HDS makes the ugliest flashlights there are.

This is untrue because no HDS lights are in mokuti. Mokuti is the ugliest thing you could possibly do to a flashlight.
Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 628

argi wrote:
The revolution has begun. Nobody borrows my pink powertools or flashlights. Cool

And yes, Maglites rocks! (with a lot of mods of course)

Does this mean when shot by one, you call it love taps?

“Yo m*********** ize gonna lav tap ya with ma pink Glock” Davie

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 939
Location: MN

Tally-ho wrote:
Prove me wrong (meme) :

!https://i.imgur.com/YmO4TF6.jpg!


elbakan1][quote=BurningPlayd0h][quote=elbakan1 wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
elbakan1 wrote:
Perpetual Lumen wrote:
Surefire is overpriced.

Surefire is costly, not even expensive, let alone overpriced.


There are other US brands doing to same or better for cheaper. For the same price you can get something that is blows them away IMO.

PFlexPro, Malkoff, Elzetta, HDS and others I’m sure I’m forgetting.

a) PFlexPro is closed because they have a big order and don’t give a damn about the retail biz.
b) Malkoff is a parts supplier turned manufacturer. Very expensive. More than Surefire.
c) Elzetta is more expensive than Surefire too.
d) HDS makes the ugliest flashlights there are. WAY more expensive than Surefire.

I just bought a Surefire Fury Tactical (1500 real lumens) for 139.95.
Is that expensive?.

Cheers.

a) The years their retail side has been open and the immediate response to emails says otherwise. Everyone’s gotta eat and I’m sure the current contract is a great one. This also says nothing about their products for the price.
b) “Very expensive. More than Surefire.” …and a proportionally better product. You get what you pay for and diminishing returns is the name of the game, especially for niche products.
c) Ditto b)
d) Good thing aesthetics are subjective and literally the last consideration for SHTF gear. Again, ditto point b)

prototype3a
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2018 - 20:06
Posts: 262
Location: Christiansburg, VA

Do people actually get excited by, and buy this stuff? Calling this a “new” flashlight should be illegal.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1833
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

prototype3a wrote:
Do people actually get excited by, and buy this stuff? Calling this a “new” flashlight should be illegal.


That’s embarrassingly garish, looks like it was painted with corrective liquid and aniline.

Ryzbor
Ryzbor's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min ago
Joined: 01/21/2018 - 10:52
Posts: 303
Location: Poland

Made In The ******* People’s Republic of China

virence.com rosy 3500K R9080 Wizard Pro, MF01 Mini 4000K to be modded with FA3 SST20, super rosy 3000K E21A Tiara and super warm 2000K Wizard Pro on it's way

Relampago
Relampago's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/14/2019 - 11:44
Posts: 520

Its gotta be unpopular for me to love that red, white and blue. Yup, couldn’t care less.

“Electricity is really just organized lightning”
― George Carlin

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1310
Location: France

I hate XP-L HI. Evil

Last week I went to dinner to a couple of friend’s home. Some dishes like a cassoulet taste better the day after making it (flavors maturation and diffusion) so you need to prepare it the day before inviting friends.
When served, this dish looked absolutely fantastic but when we started to eat it, it had a bad taste of rotten fish and rotten rice. All flavors and aromas were mutated, mutilated.
My friends were out of town for one week and left an old dish in the fridge that they didn’t throw before storing the fresh new cassoulet.

It’s totally fictional but those XP-L HI (and this one in particular (see TM-30-18 tests)) make me think of something like the above. Sure its most obvious and global visual aspect, the tint, looks good but most colors shades are mutated / shifted and also faded (unsaturated)…or “non existant” = desaturated and mutated to the point that 2 differents shades look the same.

Most of the time, a withered but not rotten apple has more taste than a freshly picked and not yet completely ripe apple. This withered apple is just like the SST-20 FB4. It might not be appealing for some people at first because of its sligltly greenish tint, but I will always prefer it because of its deeper, richer colors shades over the unpleasing colors rendition of an XP-L HI, despite its better tint.

Sometimes you need to go through your first impression against a bad tint, to let your eyes and brain get used to it and afterward, being able to more appreciate more subtile things like better colors rendition and richer shades.

I know, a bunch of people will never taste the deep dense aromas and flavors of an expresso made with freshly moulded grains, they can’t refrain to add a sugar to “balance” the first obvious bitter taste, but sugar masks everything more subtile. Just like a lot of people will never be able to appreciate the benefits of an SST-20 FB4. A pity Big Smile

Do I need to make more comparaison with wine’s aromas and flavors ?
Nope, I only see Tint addicts vs CRI addicts.
And then the lumens addicts : “WUT wine ?! I just need this bottle of strong booze to get drunk” gimme those 100 000 lumens.

(Sorry, maybe I’m a bit drunk)

hIKARInoob
hIKARInoob's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 1 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2016 - 08:15
Posts: 4131

^^^ Nice analogy! I was thinking about noble rot dessert wine when reading your post… Cool

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 41 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16550
Location: Amsterdam

Being drunk maybe a good state of mind to vent unpopular flashlight opinions Beer .
Btw, I agree with the opinion.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 10680
Location: nyc

Hey, I still like the XM-L (dunno ever having/trying/seeing an -L2) in 4C. Yeah, it’s above the BBL, but still to me looks more “natural” as far as general sunlight balance.

 

Addendum: that’s behind a TIR lens and not in a reflector (annoyingly fried-eggy).

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Gurdygurds
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 08/09/2018 - 22:41
Posts: 30

95% of us could get by just fine with a AAA light or two. We just like to overstate our actual flashlight uses and needs.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1114
Location: Netherlands

I agree with you Tally-ho.

I went jogging in the woods in the dark a few days back and took a XPL hi 5D light with me. So hard to see colors and depth like they should, everything is washed out compared a good HiCri led.

5D is still a nice tint, but only for white wall hunting.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1833
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Gurdygurds wrote:
95% of us could get by just fine with a AAA light or two. We just like to overstate our actual flashlight uses and needs.

Then I’m in the other 5%, the absolute smallest I can go for as a primary light is AA Silly

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 939
Location: MN

Tally-ho wrote:
I hate XP-L HI. Evil

Last week I went to dinner to a couple of friend’s home. Some dishes like a cassoulet taste better the day after making it (flavors maturation and diffusion) so you need to prepare it the day before inviting friends.
When served, this dish looked absolutely fantastic but when we started to eat it, it had a bad taste of rotten fish and rotten rice. All flavors and aromas were mutated, mutilated.
My friends were out of town for one week and left an old dish in the fridge that they didn’t throw before storing the fresh new cassoulet.

It’s totally fictional but those XP-L HI (and this one in particular (see TM-30-18 tests)) make me think of something like the above. Sure its most obvious and global visual aspect, the tint, looks good but most colors shades are mutated / shifted and also faded (unsaturated)…or “non existant” = desaturated and mutated to the point that 2 differents shades look the same.

Most of the time, a withered but not rotten apple has more taste than a freshly picked and not yet completely ripe apple. This withered apple is just like the SST-20 FB4. It might not be appealing for some people at first because of its sligltly greenish tint, but I will always prefer it because of its deeper, richer colors shades over the unpleasing colors rendition of an XP-L HI, despite its better tint.

Sometimes you need to go through your first impression against a bad tint, to let your eyes and brain get used to it and afterward, being able to more appreciate more subtile things like better colors rendition and richer shades.

I know, a bunch of people will never taste the deep dense aromas and flavors of an expresso made with freshly moulded grains, they can’t refrain to add a sugar to “balance” the first obvious bitter taste, but sugar masks everything more subtile. Just like a lot of people will never be able to appreciate the benefits of an SST-20 FB4. A pity Big Smile

Do I need to make more comparaison with wine’s aromas and flavors ?
Nope, I only see Tint addicts vs CRI addicts.
And then the lumens addicts : “WUT wine ?! I just need this bottle of strong booze to get drunk” gimme those 100 000 lumens.

(Sorry, maybe I’m a bit drunk)

Yeah the 3D X-PL HIs in my FW3A weren’t very green at all but compared to all the high-CRI lights I have they just made colors look strange. I don’t think them being cooler than most of the lights I have helped either. I never liked the old flourescent lighting that was missing a bunch of the natural spectrum either and that’s exactly what a lot of the average-CRI emitters remind me of (and they did even before running the CRI-snob gamut).

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 1293
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Tally-ho wrote:
I hate XP-L HI. Evil

Last week I went to dinner to a couple of friend’s home. *Some dishes like a cassoulet taste better the day after making it *(flavors maturation and diffusion) so you need to prepare it the day before inviting friends.
When served, this dish looked absolutely fantastic but when we started to eat it, it had a bad taste of rotten fish and rotten rice. All flavors and aromas were mutated, mutilated.
My friends were out of town for one week and left an old dish in the fridge that they didn’t throw before storing the fresh new cassoulet.

It’s totally fictional but those XP-L HI (and this one in particular (see TM-30-18 tests)) make me think of something like the above. Sure its most obvious and global visual aspect, the tint, looks good but most colors shades are mutated / shifted and also faded (unsaturated)…or “non existant” = desaturated and mutated to the point that 2 differents shades look the same.

Most of the time, a withered but not rotten apple has more taste than a freshly picked and not yet completely ripe apple. This withered apple is just like the SST-20 FB4. It might not be appealing for some people at first because of its sligltly greenish tint, but I will always prefer it because of its deeper, richer colors shades over the unpleasing colors rendition of an XP-L HI, despite its better tint.

Sometimes you need to go through your first impression against a bad tint, to let your eyes and brain get used to it and afterward, being able to more appreciate more subtile things like better colors rendition and richer shades.

I know, a bunch of people will never taste the deep dense aromas and flavors of an expresso made with freshly moulded grains, they can’t refrain to add a sugar to “balance” the first obvious bitter taste, but sugar masks everything more subtile. Just like a lot of people will never be able to appreciate the benefits of an SST-20 FB4. A pity Big Smile

Do I need to make more comparaison with wine’s aromas and flavors ?
Nope, I only see Tint addicts vs CRI addicts.
And then the lumens addicts : “WUT wine ?! I just need this bottle of strong booze to get drunk” gimme those 100 000 lumens.

(Sorry, maybe I’m a bit drunk)


Location: France
Ah… Beer Wouldn’t have imagined someone from USA making that association. Wink

Btw, had a cassoulet last year and really enjoyed it! Smile

Pages