GT94 vs some of my other big lights

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
ImagioX1
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2015 - 21:12
Posts: 222
Location: USA
GT94 vs some of my other big lights

Got my GT94 in the mail today so I took it out and took some quick beam shots of it compared to some of my other lights. In the line up are the Acebeam W30, Thrunite TC20, Thrunite TN40, Tractor Supply 35 watt HID, Firefoxes FF4S, and the GT94 of course. Also I need to add my TN32 to the mix. Ill get those hopefully next week some time. And yes the GT94 does have the orange pill reflector installed.

Distance to the trees is about 440ft. The GT94 with the orange peel reflector looks as intense as the W30. I don’t know how much more throw it will gain with the smooth reflector.

TC20
DSC_4977

W30
DSC_4976

Tractor Supply 35 watt HID
DSC_4981

FireFoxes FF4S (40 watt mode)
DSC_4982

FireFoxes FF4S (65watt mode)
DSC_4995

Thrunite TN40
DSC_4979

GT94 on turbo
DSC_4983

W30 zoomed in
DSC_4987

GT94 zoomed in
DSC_4989

GT94 and W30
DSC_4992

GT94 and TN40
DSC_4994

Edited by: ImagioX1 on 10/16/2020 - 22:30
ImagioX1
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2015 - 21:12
Posts: 222
Location: USA

First post has been updated with the FF4 in 65watt mode.

Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 13380
Location: LI NY

The tree branch vs. the forest smile

richbuff
Online
Last seen: 1 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 09/22/2015 - 20:38
Posts: 600
Location: Prescott Az

Thank you for your informative beamshots. I have tried to take beamshots, but my attempts yield low quality pics. In a few days, when mine arrives, I will post my observations on GT94 vs X65 vs R90TS vs K75 vs MF05. 

Normal people walk around with big dogs. They look normal. I walk around with big flashlights. My flashlights have bitten less people then Teds' dog.

 

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8937
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

Very nice shots. I generally have seen less then a 10% improvement in throw with a SMO vs OP reflector. Many times less then that, a few more.

This is hardly noticeable to the human eye in most cases. The OP reflector does seem to remove the hint of a donut hole that the SMO GT94 had though.

ImagioX1
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2015 - 21:12
Posts: 222
Location: USA

Here are some thermal images I took of my light just to see how quickly and at what temp the GT94 steps down. I got 1min 54seconds before it stepped down.

Slightly above room temp as I had run it about 10-15 mins before.
A0068_FR

30seconds on turbo
A0069_FR

1min on turbo
A0070_FR

Step down at 1:54 on turbo. I think 123F is a very conservative temperature.
A0071_FR

Robin Dobbie
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 04/30/2019 - 12:49
Posts: 325
Location: Texas

I think it steps down so soon that users are motivated to change something. And I suspect it usually means completely turning off thermal control.

ImagioX1
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2015 - 21:12
Posts: 222
Location: USA

richbuff wrote:

Thank you for your informative beamshots. I have tried to take beamshots, but my attempts yield low quality pics. In a few days, when mine arrives, I will post my observations on GT94 vs X65 vs R90TS vs K75 vs MF05. 


Using a good camera with full manual controls certainly helps. I took these shots in a hurry so they are not as good as they can be but I’m using a Nikon Z6. Could have gotten even better pics but didn’t have the time. Can’t wait to see your output shots though, especially the one with the MF05!

Texas_Ace wrote:
Very nice shots. I generally have seen less then a 10% improvement in throw with a SMO vs OP reflector. Many times less then that, a few more.

This is hardly noticeable to the human eye in most cases. The OP reflector does seem to remove the hint of a donut hole that the SMO GT94 had though.


Yeah I’m loving the beam as it is right now. I think I’m going to wait and see the results others get when they switch to the smooth reflector so I can decide if I want to swap mine out or leave it as it is. BTW is Neal going to be sending the smooth reflectors out on his own or are we going to have to email him and ask him for them?
CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 705
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

Thank You ImagioX1 for the pics and info Thumbs Up
I am trying to understand your last thermal picture.
Is the hot spot @ 123.2 deg the inner body of the head or the reflector ?
The reason I’m asking is that heat location is forward of the mcpcb.
.

.
The thermal dissipation is so important, could someone shed some light on this pic ?
.

CNC & Manual Machinist. Think outside the box too long , cannot find your way back in.

Never give up, Never surrender. Make someone Smile today.

ImagioX1
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2015 - 21:12
Posts: 222
Location: USA

To me it appears to be right at the base of the reflector where the LEDs would be.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8937
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas

ImagioX1 wrote:
Here are some thermal images I took of my light just to see how quickly and at what temp the GT94 steps down. I got 1min 54seconds before it stepped down.

Slightly above room temp as I had run it about 10-15 mins before.
A0068_FR

30seconds on turbo
A0069_FR

1min on turbo
A0070_FR

Step down at 1:54 on turbo. I think 123F is a very conservative temperature.
A0071_FR

As I posted above, the temperature calibration can vary by over 15c+ from the factory due to variances in the MCU. This means some lights will step down too soon and others will get too hot. This means that I have to bias the default setting on the colder side to account for the hot ones.

The setting for stepdown is 55c IIRC for this light but that can be as low as 40c or as high as 70c due to the variances.

It is always recommended that you re-calibrate the thermal control to your liking once you have the light. It can easily be done from the menu. You can then set it to whatever temperature you like or disable the thermal control all together.

Texas_Ace
Texas_Ace's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 07:44
Posts: 8937
Location: Everything is brighter in Texas
CNCman wrote:
Thank You ImagioX1 for the pics and info Thumbs Up I am trying to understand your last thermal picture. Is the hot spot @ 123.2 deg the inner body of the head or the reflector ? The reason I’m asking is that heat location is forward of the mcpcb. . . The thermal dissipation is so important, could someone shed some light on this pic ? .

That is right under where the MCPCB is, due to the taper of the metal under the mcpcb the heat seems to gets concentrated where it is stepping down due to less material for the heat to spread out to.

This is by design, the idea is to force the heat to move out the fins as much as possible. It seems to be working as the temperature in the center shaft drops rapidly as it moves down the taper.

Sadly the thermal camera can’t really get a reading on the fins since it only sees the edges of them where they are much cooler.

Lothar
Lothar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 10/26/2011 - 11:22
Posts: 542
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa

Thanks for the beamshots!

Current Collection:

BLF: BLF-GT90, BLF-GT70 (CW Sliced), BLF GTmini, BLF-LT1; 

BTU: Shocker (3 x SST-40 @ 8A)

Solarforce: L2P (XM-L2 U3 @ 4A), MPP-1 (XP-L HI @ 6A), MPP-3 (3 x XM-L2 U2 @ 12A), M6 (Nichia 319A @ 6A), M8 (XHP-50.2 @ 9A), 9x (9 x XM-L2 U2 @ 2A)

Coming Soon: Lumintop: BLF-GT4; 

helicoil
helicoil's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 06/29/2020 - 12:46
Posts: 24
Location: the Netherlands

Thanks for the beamshots and the effort !

 

I only wonder if this still should be considered a flashlight ...... seems to be a bit of an "understatement" doesn't it ?

 

Thanks,

 

Martin