[06-Dec-2011] Long outage resolved

Was there any issue at all? LOL! Money Mouth CPF was down for about 3 hrs last night. Now it has been down for 4.5hrs and counting....

Thanks for fixing it. It's nice to see great up-time on this site, compared to CPF that will deliberately go down for days :(

CPF isn't down. I've been able to access it at will all morning. Last night too. haven't had any problems with it at all in a couple of days now.

It IS down....for the past 5hrs now. (local time from 7pm till now which is 12 MN). It usually gets a reboot or something at 7 plus PM local time, and by 8PM it should be up. My time zone is +8 GMT. I readily notice it everyday because i think in the USA it is very early morning before dawn? I Don't think the folks in USA access from 2AM (Anchorage) to 5AM (Chicago) period over the time zones (7PM local time here)

So whatever they do is very readily noticed by us from Europe to East Asia.

I know it wasn't down before that, i was happily posting a few times before that.

Better check your own system then cuz it's not down for me. Got several tabs going over there right now pretty speedy too.

I am currently in contact with our host. They claim the site was under "attack" last night, which sounds like a cop-out. Supposedly there were 300 concurrent connections to index.php, which sounds very feasible. Did anybody happen to notice last night how many users and visitors were online before the outage?

Dunno what are they hosting on then. All my US websites are ok, ebay.com, batteryjunction/goinggear, NYtimes/CNBC/CNN etc.... Laserpointerforums too, but not sure if it's US. AR15.com no issue too <- confirmed United States IP address.

Actually my day job is in Telco/ISP, tomorrow will do a more detailed check.

Dunno but I got themain forum and the marketplace both going right now.

I was accessing this morning at 9.07AM local time which is 3 minutes before the outage , the site wasn't slow or what. I had one of the last post in....

I'm on +8 as well, no issues here.

Although I am direct,crude and rude sometimes, thought I "peed off" someone.

CPF/CPFM ok now.

I thought I ticked someone off! Well, that hosting company certainly isn't a very good host. Turning off permissions for everybody? Yes, that is one way to reduce traffic. yep.

I did very late last night (~1am EST), but since I'm using a 3G connection and share bandwidth with everybody connected to the same BTS and frequently experience dropouts and high latency, I didn't think anything of it.

Personally, I think it sounds like a cop out, as well. I used to run networks and (D)DOS mitigation was part of my job years ago (granted, not a frequent occurrence and not on the scale network operators commonly see today). While serving up a static page instead of dynamic content eases server load somewhat, but in the grand scheme of things, it's negligible. It also does nothing at all to mitigate the actual "attack". I think Apache's default MaxClient value is still 150 (and likely something like that on the database side), but still... 300 concurrent connections is nothing.

Welcome back BLF!

Heck, farms are actually tested to > 1 mil nowadays. I think they are asking for more $$$. LOL!

Yep, 300 connections seems pretty common, in my opinion. Unless they have 30 other clients on the same box also sustaining 300 connections each... 9000 concurrent connections is definitely enough to choke Apache.

No matter the reason, just to cut you off completely like that without notification . . . would eBay's host simply shut the entire site down on a whim with no contact to the owner? 12 hours off eBay would cost my company big peso.

Foy

sb56637 , why dont start a BLF twitter account.?

if site is down or any news, announcement twitter is not bad for this.

BT

+1000

...and maybe a facebook page?