18650 Lanterns

That would probably be the perfect candidate for coating the inside of the clear dome with some sort of clear adhesive (maybe slow set clear epoxy) and then dusting it w/ the high intensity white glow powder

They look really flimsy though

I am currently building/modding an LED lantern that will have capability to run off everything from USB powerbanks, 18650 cells, 14500 cells, AA, AAA , C, D, 12volt batteries in MiMH, Alcaline, NiCad, SLA, and even have built-in solar cell /-recharged LiIon cell as back up. ( basically a true self-sustained/multi powered light source.

The Energizer Light Fusion Technology lantern might be an almost ideal lantern to convert to run off of a 18650 powered USB power box. About the lowest glare factor of any lantern I know of. It normally runs off of four or 8 AA batteries, alkaline or NiMH, so can handle 4.8 to 6 volts input. The 8 batteries are series/parallel so just increase run time at the same voltage as the 4 batteries. Looking at the construction it looks like just a matter of soldering in a male USB cable installed through a drilled hole and then plugging it into a USB power supply. I will first try it with a 2A or 2.4A USB source before also trying it with a 1A only limited current source.

How about a write-up how-to for this one and your lantern in post 10 above. I suspect several members would be interested in both.

Once i get the other lantern built i will put together a build/mod thread. ( along with the Coleman listed above.)

if current sharing is good thats 16.66666 ma per led.i ASSume they are all paralell. even cheap 5mm should last a while.i doubt those produce 8.3333 lumens each either.
so chinese lumens for sure as thats nichia gs territory!

I soldered a USB cable into the battery box of the Energizer 300 lumen folding lantern with light fusion technology. It works perfectly. The lantern is designed to work between 4V and 6V. The 5V output of a power bank is ideal. Overall it probably isn't the most efficient use of power, but it is VERY convenient.

Below is a link to a more complete review.

Here is a picture of the mod.