1x18650 light for bicycle

would both the Xintd and Roche be a good combo?
either both on the bars or one on the head…

or does sputtered Xintd take care of both flood and throw?

People’s experiences on CPF bear out the fact that the AW 2600’s perform, at high discharge rates, almost as well as IMR’s. Something I’ve independently verified myself. I’ve discharge tested an IMR 1600 and an AW 2600 and at 5 amps discharge both hold their voltage under high discharge currents almost perfectly the same as at low discharge currents. You can infer from that that the IMR and AW 2600 have similar internal resistance. Also verifiable by looking at the link I posted. Both AW 2600 and IMR show the same discharge characteristic of a small spread between capacities at high discharge rates and low.

The post at the very bottom seems somewhat unreliable as a test for internal resistance as voltage droop can’t directly infer internal resistance especially once you take into account the added resistance of protection circuits vs bare cells. If you take a look the trend still tends to skew that higher capacity cells in the same lineup have higher internal resistances than lower capacity cells. Especially comparing low capacity cells like the LG 2100 which has far less internal resistance than the Panasonic 3400.

Looks like it’s going to be the XinTD C8, now only have to decide which tint and bin.

Mr_Krabs, I’m not sure I follow your point.
Take a look at the following graph, how is the AW 2600 better than the Keeppower 3400? It has only marginally higher voltage midway of the Keeppower run, but this is already very close to the AW end of run.

Or did you refer to other batteries?

That’s completely unscientific & 5A is nowhere near IMR-range of currents (hint: that’s over 10A, anything under 10A is fine w/ Panasonic PSS)
And no, AW 2600’s don’t perform anywhere near IMR’s, because they’re based on Sanyo UR18650FM cell with discharge rate of 2C, which is nowhere near 10-20C of IMR cells.

LG 2100mAh indeed has much less internal resistance than Panasonic 3400mAh (almost 2x less), but that doesn’t changes the fact that AW 2600mAh has higher internal resistance than Panasonic 3400mAh.

I think your friend will be very happy, I can’t remember if someone suggested they preferred cool white over neutral white for a bike light, you could always treat him to the cool white edc while your ordering, you know, so you can test it out…… :bigsmile:

LOL
I think I ought to keep this site hidden from him, otherwise his wife might not be so nice to me anymore… :wink:
I actually have no idea what a good light for bike ride would be, the last time I rode a bike was when I was 15, I think. More than half my life ago… :frowning:
Someone (maybe between rides?) in another thread (can’t find it now) said that CW is better for bike ride because it shows better the potholes and has better contrast overall, but the general consensus was that NW looks so much nicer. I think I’ll go with the CW though, especially that now it’s U3 against the T6 NW, too much difference in brightness. And I never liked NW/WW myself. But it would be my friend’s call on that…

The EDC18650 from intl-outdoor looks to be better flooder than the Xin. Depending on how you use it they could both work well. The Xin will throw much better than the EDC18650 and have higher output it would have to be tilted up pretty much level to use most of it’s light since it would be less “Diffused”. The smaller EDC would flood much better and would have “more” usable light + It would be lighter on the bars and not bounce as much with a less solid mount.

The Xin with a diffuser however would have more usable light than the EDC, or you could build a “Cutoff” if your using it on roads and don’t want to blind/flash Motorists as much. I like mounting my Xin though since the head and tail cap are both larger than the body I don’t worry so much about it slipping out of the mount, although I recommend using the lanyard and just wrapping round the bars if used in a bar mount.

Cool tints on the XIN will provide more light (Since the emitters are higher binned on the Xin) and potentially stand out more in city use but have a slightly worse CRI than neutral XML’s. If your not buying the light solely for output you might be happier with the neutral white than the CW ones.

Some people say CW “Bounces more” but since all the nw lights I’ve had have been lower output or higher throw I couldn’t compare them. The U2 and U3 bins are higher than the T6 3C that the Xin has so they could have a bit higher output.

Multiple lights is good for biking though; I’m going to be getting a smallish 18650 or 14500 light to head mount while out on trails + another floodier light on the bars or somewhere, possibly an additional fork mount for city riding (Worthless on trails.).

I’ll be honest, I’ve only got one light that’s close to nw (bought modded, unsure what emitter other than xm-l) it is nice, but I’m also still on the “must have as many lumens as possible” band wagon.

I do want to stick some nichea 219’s in an edc sized light (3up board and optic into trustfire t2 is my plan don’t know if its possible till I order the bits).

I was serious about that little edc though, its a real nice pocket light, I’ve been carrying it since I built it. Just for interest, I just flashed it around out of the bathroom window, its very floody with a useful amount of throw for an edc but I’d be a bit leery of using it as my sole bike light.

With the driver I used, I keep it set to come on low (mode memory), high is then a half press away if I want high, it is bright enough that if your close to something when you turn it on it can leave you seeing spots if your eyes are night adapted.

I do really like it, just don’t think it’d be more than a back up light to get you home on a bike. For my use it’s perfect, and its shown me I don’t need to go smaller in an edc, or loose any out put for when I want to suprise none flashaholic’s, a u2 driven at 2.6a is enough to get that “what the” reaction. Particularly out of such a small light. :bigsmile:

Or maybe I should buy him intl-outdoor’s 3400 batteries?
lygte-info.dk shows almost identical performance to Keeppower’s 3400…
So I guess the only difference is the top - small in Keeppower, wide in intl-outdoor.
Which one is better for the XinTD? Or in general for other flashlights as well.

Raised top batteries are much more mechanically robust than button-top ones. So there’s that.
When I have choice, I always pick raised top over button top.

Raised top is what I call flat top? The intl-outdoor type?

That’s not flat-top.

This is flat top.

This is raised top.

I like to have fairly good throw with my bike lights so that I don't override them when I'm cruising down a hill @ 30 MPH ...

So… which one is more recommended?
The Keeppower or the Int’l-Outdoor? For the XinTD C8 and for the 2000x zoom type lights.
Will both fit the XinTD C8 body without tearing the wrapping?
Which is the better quality cell? Including PCB. (didn’t intl-outdoor have problematic PCBs in the past?)

They have same cell, and Intl-Outdoor PCB is not problematic anymore (for over a year) since they switched factory.
I’d choose Intl-Outdoor one if I were you, simply due to raised top batteries being more physical abuse resistant.

And just to be sure regarding the Keeppower - will the button top play well with the seemingly reversed spring of the XinTD C8?

…that’s the another reason why I’d choose raised top battery. Better contact due to bigger surface area of battery’s +.

Thanks, that’s what I thought.
Well, he did want three batteries, I guess two intl-outdoor and one keeppower can’t be a bad deal… let him see what he likes more.

Both Intl-Outdoor ones and Keeppower ones are only sold in pairs. :stuck_out_tongue:

CNQG/FF sells Keeppower in singles.