200 lumens/watt, it's here! Cree MK-R

As soon as you see this led in Chinese lights how many lumens do you think the 1769 real lumens will inflate to?

They should have just made a big giant 4 x XM-L2 die. I could imagine the efficiency and sheer output.

But I’m hoping the MK-R makes it into a flashlight. Certainly a light using this led will outperform the multi-emitter style XM-L lights and be cheaper to make.

I don’t see 200lm/W anywhere, though. :S
Max. I can see in datasheet is 109 lm/W at 85 C and 700 mA current.

200 lm/w @ 1w. This is standard rating practice used pretty much industry wide. Is it misleading, yea, but it is what it is.

Cutter’s got 3000k MK-Rs in stock. Problem now is getting them mounted on PCBs—there are none, AKAIK.

What’s nice is that these will be relatively easy to drive with a boost driver designed for multiple XR-Es, like this one from FastTech, or this one from DX

Anyone have plans to put one of these in a flashlight?
Anyone here who found a PCB for it?

Finally found a source for an MK-R MCPCBs, here.

SinkPAD is touting their Cu-core PCB design for the MK-R, and those would be worth their weight in gold over a standard PCB for those who want to push the limit. I do wish their product was easier to buy on an as-needed basis.

It’s at 25C which means the LED that did this was probably water cooled. Or they used “a bluish translucent magnetic liquid obtained by compressing gaseous oxygen and then cooling it below its boiling point; used as an oxidizer in rocket propellants”.

And what life do you get at this efficacy? That LED has got to be hurting.

I still havent found an ideal driver for this emitter to put in a table lamp build (120VAC in). The data sheet for the MKR lists max DCA @1.25 at 14VDC. Photos of the dice look like 4 XML2’s, similar to the old MCE config of 4 XRE’s sandwiched together.

For anyone wondering there are a couple sources (one of which is in US) on this spreadsheet.

I just ordered 2 from mouser.

what are you planning to use for the driver?

Did you find a source for MK-R MCPCBs?

No idea. Not really sure how hard to push the thing. Usually I rely on you guys for that information. I’m thinking 3 26650’s and the 3” DX reflector, In some sort of Mag lite.

No, I am probably gonna make my own out of copper, unless they are available by the time I get all the parts together.

saw this on mtbr
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1523

now on direct-to-copper stars, which is pretty awesome :slight_smile:

I should have waited a few weeks and got those.

I hate when that happens. Is anyone using this emitter yet? Sounds like you’re the only person to have ordered any. Are you planning to use the high efficiency of this emitter for more light or for more run time?

sorry about that :frowning: Hopefully you’ll find other things that need them so you can get these too :slight_smile:

I guess it would be good for floody lights, in that its surface area is twice that of an XM-L (49mm&2 vs 25). Still, nowdays bright lights are multi-emitter with 3 or more XM-Ls.
The only point of 1 bigger emitter is to get more throw with a single reflector…and due to its bigger surface area and max lumens only being 50% more than an XM-L2, I’m not sure this one will see much use.

As stated, its efficiency drops like a rock when loaded even at 700mA.