2017 top 10 professional UV flashlight

LOL - that light puts out a broadband UV - UVA. UVB, and UVC - not useful for our hobby, and it would probably melt the filter glass ;) The Ultraviolet Energy Gun!  An Arc Mercury Luminescent Quartz Germicidal Lamp! - YouTube

@pirateo40,
A little misuse of this thread because I assume you get email notifications for posts here:

My 8 year old son got a small bucket with fossils and minerals via via from a collector, and he really hopes that in this piece of rock the red stuff is rubies :partying_face: . Any idea what mineral this is?

Almost impossible to accurately ID a rock from pics (but many try). A good diagnostic for this one would be the Convoy. If they glow a strong red odds are pretty good they are ruby. They would glow even better under 395nm, or 405nm laser (rubies enjoy the longer wavelengths).
That said, there are lots of red minerals. This is an intriguing specimen. Locality information is also helpful - state, or country, mine even better. Then we can look it up on mindat (a giant mineral wiki) to see what kind of minerals are found in your area.

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

Nope, no fluorescence whatsoever at 365nm or 400nm. So no ruby in there.

I have no idea where this came from, it was left ages ago by a collector at a library for natural objects, mainly visited by teachers for use in their lessons. They had a clean-up of stuff that is hardly ever lended out.

I will give my son the news, with the assignment to once find out what it really is :slight_smile:

Try SW (254nm) UV? But likely not fluorescent. The red color is most often caused by Fe (iron) in the mineral, which is a quencher of fluorescence.

That kind of resembles my granite counter tops which the little red rocks are garnet’s.
About the best pics I have uploaded to imgur, of coarse it has a flashlight in it. :smiley:

Jos those look like garnets to me. If they are more or less round (spherical) they are likely to be garnet.

+1 on garnets.

There are a bunch of different types, looks like it could be almandine garnets to me.

It’s hard to tell, but it looks like it could be a high grade metamorphic rock.

They do look like garnets.

Possibly Zoisite?