[30-AUG-2011] Revised community moderated anti-SPAM system

I think admin needs to lower the number of "Mark as SPAM" threshold to maybe 2 counts, so that after 2 users mark it will be deleted.

yeah that was funny marked as spamx15

Well, I got the impression you didn't want to ban users, as true spammers would just register a new account. I was thinking more along the lines of "the more spammy you are, the easier it should be for someone to get rid of you". The automatic forgiveness part was just to keep the admin work to a minimum.

Needing 5 marks is fine to keep down accidents, but it makes cleaning up the board a pain in the butt. Lowering it to 2 or 3 (or even 1 in bad cases!) after they're verified spammers would be useful when someone has a script to dump crap all over the boards.

296 posts from panpan in about 30 minutes. I marked a few of them, but is there really any point in me trying to get all of these? Is there anything on the backend that watches for this kind of activity? Could we limit new users to 5-10 posts on their first day anyway? That would give users some hope of keeping up.

Somekind of limit would be probably good.

For a real user, the limit could be lifted afterwards?

If the capability exists, 20 different posts marked as spam, could be the threshold for disabling the ability to post - or even 10, imo. Even better if a time period could be set - ie 5 posts marked as spam in an hour and there's obviously a problem...

Yeah... I think I marked PANPAN more than 20 times as spam.. He was online at the same time, so every post I opened to hit the SPam button.. but nothing helped.. he kept posting..

I spent 45 minutes marking this morning instead of posting, although some might consider that a good thing.

Same here, I was here when PANPAN started, followed marking his posts from his 30+ post, marked about 20-30 posts but really... there's no point doing it after all, he kept on posting.

He made around 500 posts before kicked. Really I think limiting beginners to 10 posts or less would be a good idea.

This is so not working. LIAO has posted 253 pieces of spam so far. There is no way we could or should have to delete all of those on our own.

Please do something.

I'm doing now to mark this super spammer as spam!

Maybe we'll have to implement a security measure for each post.

What do you call those things where you have to enter letters/numbers that are randomly generated? We might need something like that for each post

LIAO129 is has got to be the most determined spammer EVER!!!

643 posts and counting

Now up to 1224. Misstingting is making a run now.

Is there anyway to spam their website?

I think we need to go beyond canceling a single post.

AFAIK, BLF is quite peaceful and we're being ripped apart. So I propose a similar system, but with one alteration (I don know if it will be possible to implement, but...)

After 5 hits as SPAM, the user will be blocked/perma banned. All of his/hers posts will be unpublished. Every affected thread will have it's time recalculated so spammed threads will stay off the Recent Posts page.

It's quite radical but one spambot is quicker than 10 users marking his posts as SPAM.

Also, add Captcha AND email verification to the registration page.

EDIT: I voluteer to help with SQL analysis and commands if the database is either MySQL or MS SQL Server.

Great ideas, newbie. Seems like the first idea of blocking further posts for 5 SPAM marks is the best one if it can be technically implemented. Don't know about the rest of that. Most other sites have CAPTCHA and email verification for first post - seems very reasonable. Don't like the 3 post limit/review by mods for newbies as is in place at CPF.

There are ways to knock websites out. However they are illegal here and in most parts of the world.

And people do get prosecuted for it.

A captcha on every post, no way, those things kill me. Any solution using the spam button has to consider misuse of the spam button by members. It has happened more than a few times when controversial topics were brought up.

Just out of curiosity, what actually happens when we click on "Mark as SPAM"? I spent well over an hour clicking on it and I just couldn't keep up with that super spammer or super spammers.