3rd Annual BLF Contest - Hand Made - Nickel's Colorizer---------- (Sept. 30, DQ'd Not Finished In Time)

Tell me about it....

Hope you can get it all together in time.

I got the electrics finished on my build yesterday, but still have a few things to do yet.

:beer:

Hiccup with the Colorizer board. Had the Drain and Source connections hooked up backwards for the pfet display drivers :(. Luckily I had some SOT23-6 adapter boards that sort of work, need to cut traces and Kynar flywire now… ughhh. I always seem to have problems when routing traces when components are flipped on the bottom of the board.

FMC, your project looks great! This build is going at things backwards by fooling mostly with the electronics first, then the mechanical second.

That was a pretty complex board. Not that I could have helped but most new boards get put up for review just to get other eyes on it. Glad you can sort it out though, this is too cool not to see finished.

I should change the project to the procrastinator! It’s like a term paper is due to be submitted.

Started drilling the frame panels in earnest along with Colorizer pcb and slave board pcb updates.

It’s all Greek to me but I like the colored pictures now where did I put my crayons.

I'm amazed by what is going on here, that board drawing on its own already deserves a t-shirt, or a bed cover ;-)

Living room rug.

Edit - Smart rug, tie the alarm to it and roll up the burglars.

Is that a field programmable gate array on the top of the picture of the top side of the board?

@Fritz,
FPGA is definitely above my pay scale, more like an 18F PIC 44 pin in a TQFP pkg. Or, are you talking about the doohickey hanging off the back :slight_smile: ?

A finish by the the deadline looks suspect at the moment. Too much daydreaming and sitting on the hands. If nothing else I’ll have a cool looking bread box/toaster oven looking thingy?

Just dump everything in there and turn it on, there’s prizes to be had!

And I thought I used a lot of metal in my light. Off to a good start anyway Kent. Finished in time or not you've got some clean looking work there.

Well, it’s not going to happen, at least for the contest.

Will continue on in a separate post that will be Colorizer after hours, or something like that, when the project nears completion. Too much time and effort expended to not finish up, not to mention clearing off the electronics off the table top!

Sorry to disappoint those that took interest in the project. I appreciated the kind words and encouragement along the way. Also want to thank “the” and all the others who have put forth their hard work in creating the contest, supplying prizes (including the participating vendors too). It is what makes the BLF community go round.

Will upload a few final pics and thoughts later. Did get the Colorizer electronics in four color and analog mixing modes. More pcb debugging required for the encoder modes.

@RBD,
The electronics are still splattered all over the table top. Won’t be putting them in till final software is complete.

@VOB
Yeah, could have lightened up on the 1/4” plate for sure. It will weigh a ton.

Be sure to post this when it’s done.

Sorry to see that it won't be done by the deadline.

Looking forward to see the finished product, though.

Nah, the deadline and prizes are just the bait to get us going. There's wonderful lights being build, that is what matters. I love to see this finished as nice and thorough as it has been till now and am looking forward to the rest of the build :-)

Parting thoughts, and pics posted on some of the Colorizer UI established from the table top electronics.

And yes, will continue an after contest section thru build completion, so check back.

I have a hard time finishing things without a deadline but Djozz is right, it’s all about the build and this one is phenomenal.

Thanks for the update nf. I'm looking forward to see the finish in the future.

Really fine work you are doing here. Looking forward to seeing it progression.

The wonderful thing about a hobby is that no one gets fired if a project doesn't finish on time or if too many resources are poured in (I'm kind of ignoring the spousal factor in that statement). If that were the case, I would have been long gone. It's the main reason I don't generally mod for money.