3rd Annual DIY Contest - prize light builds, OL and the Duck square off, OL wins!

P60 torches have always been my favorites, look forward to reading on how this shootout goes. I suspect both will be great results.

Ever since Justin did a wood veneer Maglite I’ve wanted to do something like this. Not a veneer but a turned handle with a conductive sleeve. The join technique is the same as I use for Minimags to control the length of the tube knurling but replaces that with wood. The only real difference will be turning it to shape rather than using an existing section of the tube. Reaming the wood took only a few minutes this afternoon so next I need a couple brass washers ~1 1/4” OD that I can enlarge the center hole to fit the sleeve. Then I’ll turn a piece of wood to fit snug inside the sleeve so when it’s all glued up I can turn the wood/brass as a unit.

That wood/Cu combination looks sweet!

I’ve been thinking about making a wooden light myself, haven’t gotten any farther than that though. lol

RBD’s AAA MiniMag below, what a work of art! :slight_smile:

Looking real good. Love the turned wood exterior idea.

I’m glad you didn’t wait. If you had there would be little time left since as usual I can only work on this a bit at a time a few times a week at best. I just hope it doesn’t get derailed at the end.

Thanks. I will maybe give them a try. I often have to trim a couple of mm off the end of a pipe and have never had much luck doing that with a pipe cutter. Just have to learn some patience I guess. :slight_smile:

Yeah, pipe cutters suck at short trims so I try to get the measurements very close and sand/file to square and finished. There’s also that annoying lip inside and out that messes with the length and clearances. Cutting with a Dremel is not my favorite choice but sometimes it’s the right one anyway.

A few more new pics.

08/09 Edit, a few more pics.

Looking good RBD. Whats the inside diameter of the tubing your using?

3/4” copper pipe type “M” I think. It’s ~20.5-7mm ID. I needed to get it down around 20mm to get any thread at all. Type L would probably have worked but I didn’t have any in my scrap bin. It came in around 19.9 and the threads still aren’t very deep though I’m glad of that seeing how hard it was to cut them. It’s a lot easier to shim inside a pipe than pad the outside which I’ll need to do to make a threaded pill. If that fails then I may steal the threads from a brass p60 pill and braze them to copper.

More progress in the op.

Very nice wood work. I just worked out I think your thread is working bottom to top?

I got lazy. It’s a pain to scroll to the bottom of a long post to add updates so I’m trying this out. I suppose it’s easier to read the latest updates but doesn’t make it very readable from beginning to end.

Some pics of the copper pill.

What was your choice of cutting fluid and is that solid 20 mm bar?

Household oil and it’s 1/2” copper pipe repair coupling(5/8” OD) with a layer of copper sheet brazed around it to build it up enough to engage the female threads. I think it came in at ~19.8mm before threading.

I thought I had taken some pics of that but apparently not. Repair sleeve is the same diameter as a solder coupling but comes in 12” lengths and is easier to handle when you want to cut a particular length. I made the piece for the outside the same way as the piece for the inside. For brazing I burned the coating off of a few Baggie ties(steel wire)and twisted them around the outside to keep the copper snug. Brass or copper wire just softens and relaxes.

Edited the op so it reads from beginning to end.

Knowing what I know now I would probably use thicker sheet to line the copper pipe and braze a thick brass rectangle to the both ends of the outer female thread stock so that I could use a wrench on both pieces. As it is the ID of the outer tube is a bit large and only partly threaded so the thread to thread contact is less than ideal.

The 19.8 OD is about what I use for 20mm. Is the die adjustable to increase or decrease the size of the thread?