4th annual BLF/ O-L build competition -hand made- thread for Tru3s1lv3r (Update 9/29)

Tools to make the tools…

Concrete boots? :+1:

Most definitely! Gonna line the interior with some fireplace mortar to keep it all together cause the bricks when done can be crumbly. Made a casting furnace a year or so ago and had to line the interior because the walls were crumbling in.

Mokumé gane, how interesting. I also thought at some point about making a light out of that. But then I would have bought the rod. So I am very much looking forwards to seeing you proceed. All the best for you build!

Update in OP.

All the best for the finals and looking forward to your updates on your return.

Small update in OP.

Please, please take pics of the process. This is going to be an eye opener.

Yeah, looks interesting.

Update in OP.

This project will be the end of me!!

The end of you? This is an amazing story on building something outside the norm here and totally interesting. I for one am looking forward how this turns out. Thanks for putting in the effort. :+1:

That’s fine, just be sure to finish it first :smiley:

+1 I’m really excited to see how the forging goes and what becomes of it after it’s forged.

Yea, I just keep hoping for some cooler weather! It sure is hot in the garage. I’ve done plenty of forging with steel, but never something soft like these metals. It’s going to be a valuable learning process for me. I think I may try the welding with some of the offcuts before I.move on to the main billet. Probably $50 of metal in that one stack and I definitely don’t want to mess it up! :slight_smile: Today I’m going by the hardware store to get the parts to build the torch. I already have the propane and regulator, so just need some black iron pipe to make it all out of.

+100 Really looking forward to seeing the outcome of this!

Update in OP. Already lost some arm hair cause one of my fittings wasn’t tight enough. Two wrenches and problem solved. Just smells like burnt hair in the garage now… ugh…

Good to see you making progress.

Thanks, yea, it’s progress on paydays and not much else in between here recently! hehe. I think IO am done buying stuff, though, and now I should be onto the main work phase trying to make a billet

Nice. Looks like your really on fire with the build. You still have me intrigued on how this will all turn out. :+1:

:person_facepalming: