4th of July Headlamp Review: Spark SG6-NW XML2 with a Crazy Cat, Moontravelers, and Lumens.

Also one final thing. I was told through another channel via PM that Spark said it can run protected cells. While that may be technically correct, every single battery I have that’s protected will not fit. Including my Pansasonic 3400 mah, Sanyo 2600 mah, the Soshine 3400 mah, Imalent 2600 mah- they are all too long. If the cell is longer than 65mm, it probably will not fit. Protection circuits add too much to the overall length of the battery. You might cut down the tail cap spring a bit, but I wouldn’t personally. Unprotected cells are snug, but protected cells keep the tailcap from screwing down all the way. I can’t say with 100% certainity that every single protected cell won’t fit- but good luck finding one.

I figured I’d make that clear.

Are button tops okay or does it need flat?

Flat tops are fine, which is what I used. The positive end of the tube has a protruding bump.

Do button tops fit?

I must have read that the opposite, what was I smoking. I wouldn’t chance past 66mm. I don’t have an unprotected button top battery, so none of my button tops work because they’re all protected.

Even though I watched both of your reviews, Xtar H3 and Spark SG6, do you have data at hand comparing their respective output and runtimes?

It’s scattered out in several places. And since I only recently started doing the lumen measuring thing I’m a bit disorganized. I went back and measured all of my headlamps and here’s the lumens/throw data for the two you wanted.

SG6 lumens
Turbo:508
Maximum: 306
Med 2: 106
Med 1: 12.8
Min: 0.67

Throw: 231 cd and 31 meters.

For the SG6, I used the optional reflector for my lumens measurements, since my device doesn’t seem to do as well with bare emitters or diffused optics. For lux though I did it with the bare emitter. I do not have data on hand for the lux with the reflector.

Xtar H3 lumens
Turbo: 1034
High: 489
Mid: 243
Low: 84
Moonlight: .41

7294 cd
170 meters throw.

Runtimes are a bit different. I like to use the same battery on everything, but since the SG6 won’t take my Sanyo 2600 mah protected cells I had to use a 3100 mah Panasonic unprotected. I didn’t test all modes, so I’ll include only the data that I measured.

Xtar w/ 2600 mah Sanyo except where noted.
Turbo: 3 hr. 22 min (3100 mah Panasonic) 2 hr 32 mins (2600 mah Sanyo)
High: 2 hr 53 mins (2600 mah Sanyo)
Mid: 6 hour 5 mins. (2600 mah Sanyo)

SG6 w/ 3100 mah Panasonic
Turbo: 1 hr 36 mins.
Maximum: 2 hr. 30 mins
Med 2: 6 hr 14 mins.

Hope this helps.

That does help, real life data is much more valuable than bare mfg specs, much appreciated ;)!

I wonder why H3 performs much better in this regard or is SG6 fully regulated and those runtimes are runtimes until it falls out of regulation?

Added SG6 to my interests list.

The Spark does a hard shut off, and other than Turbo it maintains a mostly constant brightness. I measure the whole runtime until the light is no longer usable if possible. The Xtar falls out of regulation, dims earlier, but still has light coming out of it much longer.

I see, thanks!
Will try to test my H3 when it arrives to see how long it stays regulated in all modes :D!