5D Mag - SST-90 - 95mm Aspheric - 9+amp build - Finished on 03/17/15 and beam shots are in Post #1

Those results sure are close. The second and third pictures make this light look huge. Nice work as usual.

Whats your thought on these results OL?

are you happy with them...

Im not sure what you expected, and if those results live up to those expectations.

It doesnt look like there is much differenct between the colars.And even the bare led does have the same throw as the wavien collar.

Whaddya think?

I’m once again a little skeptical whether you can accurately measure the benefits of those collars at such close range. I doubt the projected image/beam is fully formed at that stage, kinda like we see a hole in the center of the beam coming off a big reflector?…the increased lux from the collars (if there is any) may not be at the center of the hotspot? I dunno…

In any case going by that test, seems like a very insignificant difference if any. :~

Fancy sending the useless collars my way? I’ll safely dispose of them for you :wink:

I think that, either my meter or my method of testing are wrong, or both collars suck.

My old eyes tell me I believe in the latter, but since I am not knowledgeable enough to verify the tests, I will not say that they are true and correct.

I know that doesn't sound like me, but I'm trying to be as politically correct as I can. for just this one time, but that won't last long.

Ok.. do you think you will be re-testing them at a farther distance?

I am not willing to do a test at a farther distance. I have nowhere to set it up outside, nor do I have the tools, fixtures or ability to do so.

That would be up to the owner of them. I’m just the laborer.

no problem... just asking!

do you think the Collar journey has come to an end at this point?

At the moment Im not sure what to think about it. Looks like you have put a lot of time into it.
I hope that it wasnt for nothing!

M looking forward to your next build thread

I don't intend to do any more testing at this point.

Ok, I understand.....

Thanks for the hard work! highly appreciated!

More photos in the OP, parts are ready for Anodizing.

Looking really great! :slight_smile:

Also very curious to see the result after anodizing, is it going to be a black semi matte or a shiny anodizing to match the maglite?

I don’t know for sure, never had any anodizing done before. I really think it will be matte. Bright costs more usually, so matte is kind of the standard.

Thanks OL. ChibiM, we must be very careful in analyzing OL’s results. The battery one and battery two results must be treated as separate sets.

• In the “Battery One” testing the Wavien collar was 0.48% better than the bare LED. The Mag collar was worse than the bare LED.
  • In the “Battery two” testing the Wavien collar was only 0.09% better than the bare LED (best focus case). The best focus case for the Mag collar was 0.29% better in this case.

What’s also worthy of remark is that between the two battery tests we see that battery one gets the bare LED lux 1% higher than battery two - but the gains from the Wavien collar do not stay steady! They are much better with battery one than battery two for some reason.

All told, here’s what I see:

• Yes, they both kind of suck. This hinges on what you are looking for though. Once all other avenues are exhausted, this becomes the only path towards increasing lux.
  • This testing has been done with a big-die emitter, maybe we can get closer to 1-5% improvements from smaller die emitters? Focus is certainly key and in the pictures comfychair showed I recall that the spot generated from his Mag collar was quite small. I think it was not enough to cover an SST-90 die. Take a look at Post #6 over here, comfychair - 64mm aspheric - which LED?
  • OL’s testing was quite granular. It shows what range we could expect benefits to be in with this setup. I’d guess probably no more than 1% best case for this setup.
  • OL’s testing also shows that focus is key. OL easily reduced the lux with the Mag collar and one must assume that if a person messes up badly enough they can also reduce the lux using a Waiven collar. (perhaps by using the wrong size?)
  • It’s possible that using alligator clips and magnets may have contributed to measurement error. This depends partly on Vf headroom and what current the light was regulated at. In DD I think it’s certain that the clips/magnets would mess with the results a little.

Anyway, thanks again OL. I’m definitely intrigued.

I imagine, once I get the parts anodized and the driver is done, I will do another set of tests and use the set of NiMH cells as well as a set of mnke Li-ion cells.

Might of missed but what dover are u going to use

The ones I use for the Mag mods. 7135 based driver with momentary switch.

02/10/15 Still waiting on anodized parts... But, I did take some shots of the things I will try to reach out to.

Photos in the bottom of the OP.

Wow. Good luck on the pictures and dont let anyone catch you up there.

OL,

That is some mighty long lighting you are going to be trying. Also very exciting. Part of me wants to be there when you start up each light to be amazed and to be giggling when you light something up from a separate zip code.