A Better D Size Battery Alternative (and at a low, low price)

That's why I thought the cheap D cells I posted where ok I plan using them with a TK60 when I've saved up enough.

The AA adaptors are good if you already have nimh or LSD batteries and or a hoby charger that can charge up to 16 at a time and form charge, or you could use cheap alkaline batteries but that's not always recommended and they could leak under high loads, but nimh can handle decent current.

The tenergy 10 000 mAh D cells would be nice but shipping to Australia is was to much and alot if sellers will not ship internationally.

I have an off topic question and maybe somebody can answer it here so I don't need to open a new thread:

If I want to buy AA to D adapters for my TK70 (4xDs), should I pick 3AA or 2AA to D size?

I have 10 000 premium Tenergys for the light but want the adapters as back up solution. (and I have enough AA Eneloops)

The more AA,s that can fit the better

I ordered a bunch of the Tenergy AA both LSD and standard, and then some of the D cells, and shipping was quite good, they calculated it after I bought and it was nothing like what Ebay was suggesting.

Well, as several people were alluding to, nobody can FIND the damned adapters! I thought of that a while ago when I bought my TK70. But I could only find a few 2 AA adapters for fairly expensive and looked cheap. The 3xAA DO exist...um...somewhere. All I could find was Serial connections instead of parallel which is what you want. (serial means youd have a 3.6v battery instead of a 1.2 and things would go poorly)

The 3AA ones might be fatter than a normal D battery so nobody really knows how well they would fit.

What about just getting the 3AA serial ones from KD and converting them to parallel like dthrckt did (see above posts 10,13, & 15). This sounds perfect. I'm sure dthrckt can chime in on the diameter of them compared to a normal D cell.

I did purchase some 2AA -> D adapters from DX, but I haven't used them yet.

-Garry

I even have one 4AA adapter.. but never found a place to buy them.

4AA?! It must be bigger than regular D cell?

No, its exactly the same size. Was used in a 9led light from Bosch.

But actually I dont have AA lights except for Maglites. What I do have are 6 D-cells I have no use for.. :D

So if I manage to find 3AA to D adapters/converters those would be applicable for the TK70 as well?

I'm just worried about frying the light since it's not cheap. What would be the criteria for watching out for what voltage to avoid frying the thing then?

If you're placing the cells so they are in parallel inside the adapter (all +'s making contact together, and all -'s contacting each other) than you won't be increasing voltage - only increasing capacity (mAh).

-Garry

Four AAs are close,but tight in a maglite.

Sure there are ways to do it.

Lennart

the KD 3xAA are slightly narrower than tenergy Ds and they're the same length. The HF 109 led light has a 4AA carrier and it is ~0.070" wider than a D cell (with alkaline AAs in it).

Back about 6-8 years ago an online company called Aventrade offered a decent parallel 4AA-to-1D battery adapter. It was larger in diameter than a standard D cell (as Lennart's Post picture demonstrates), but some flashlights - think plastic body cheap Rayovacs and the like - could fit them. On the maglites I used them in I had to take one of the 4 AAs - leaving 3 in parallel, and they fit snug, but workable.

Custom parallel 4AA-to-1D and 3AA-to-1D battery adapters are currently available, but pricey:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320162-Odd-Mods-Adapters-3AA-21AA-M6-rechargeable-solutions-Dummy-cells-Customs!&p=3717111#post3717111

I'll just use these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Holder-Case-AA-D-Cell-Battery-Adaptor-Converter-/290610668711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43a9bee4a7

Another thread kicked off on this subject.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/8299#comment-164220