A new generation Cree leds: SC5 platform, sounds exciting!

Wonder if we can get a GB on these? :bigsmile:

I figure with those specs, they are aiming for the 12V indoor lighting and automotive industry.

Hard to imagine I know, but normal people have more lights in their house and car than flash lights.

you may be correct, however they are how we might say, unenlightened :bigsmile:

I've always suspected that the muggles had it that way with indoor light!

Why they don’t make a single giant die instead of 4 little ones stack side-by-side ?

Yield, or multiple uses.

I suspect that over the coming years, the pressures driving multiple dies in a single package today will abate. The installed base of household and commercial lighting was designed around the characteristics of incandescent and florescent lighting, which tend to be a relatively small number of light sources. These multi-die packages seem targeted at simplifying the design and manufacture of retrofit solutions for these fixtures. Once those fixtures are filled, the volume in that market is going to shrink dramatically, since LED retrofit bulbs have a much longer replacement interval, on average, than the incandescents and CFLs they are replacing.

Going forward, a lot of lighting designers have been experimenting with the opportunities afforded by LED lighting and low-voltage wiring, working with more, lower intensity light sources, which it seems, might swing things back to single-die packages. On the other hand, 3.3v wiring is probably a little bit too low-voltage to make sense for general lighting due to resistive losses in the wiring.

Perhaps CREE will start selling bare dies, like some IC manufacturers do. Does anyone know, are there existing ICs sold as bare dies that approach the thermal requirements of a high-output LED?

The datasheets are out

http://www.cree.com/xhp

Now the big wait for us Meer mortals to get our hands the raw led

They started this already 2-3 years ago, Phillips for instance uses Cree dies, in most of their emitters and COb matrix chips
Also, there are EU companies that do so- they buy Cree cores and make their own chips and brand names

Epistar, Epiled and so on have that practise too

Yet, at the end for commersial lighting the core isnt that important bu tthe overall lumen/per/watt and ofc the price and quality
The core can be Cree, but that doesnt mean anything- if its not bonded properly, dont have a steady crystal support…the final result will be bad

Any link/proof for that claim?

Well…i didn knew its secter, the company work for is a holding, and one of its minor companies is actualy Phillips distributor for the Balkans, most of the emitters inside are even not rebranded, latest street lights come with XP-L for instance… most of Phillips drivers are actualy OEMed Meanwell…or else… they have their own of course, like in the led tubes- completely phillips parts, from the driver to the emitters

Here, a hint

Phillips even plan of completely move out , as you can see, R&D in that area is very dynamic, maybe like in the CPU area, so why dont let others do the emitter part, and you do the final product? And the final product is what matters,
Cree doenst have ready-to-go solutions in many areas, or at least not that popular

Even Osram start selling cores as far as i know( they were the last ones), they moved to Malaysia last year, and things changed, now many Chinese companies offer “osram” inside products

I see the XHP50 is available on mouser I don’t want to by 218.

Anyone know where I can get 20?

You are looking at the wrong part numbers.

Try:
XHP50A-01-0000-0D0HG430G
XHP50A-01-0000-0D0HG40E7

When searching for XHP50 sort by Availability. Besides the two I linked with MOQ=1, there are also many with MOQ=40 if you can stomach that.

EDIT: also beware - Mouser hasn’t gotten all the meta-dated sorted out yet it appears. None of the MOQ=40 or 41 LEDs are marked with Series=XHP50, so don’t select that in the Filters.