Absolute Winners of the single AAA format

My first stainless steel AAA with metal clicky switch. Simple Hi-Lo modes switching with full click. Kind of under-powered (80% of Tube on Hi) because it mend for AAA only.

You can't get it in the regular stores yet.

Hi Grayski74

What do you think the lumens of the tool are at low and medium on a 10440?

Have you seen a runtime chart for the DQG? Does it have a flat, regulated output, or does it drop into a declining direct-drive-like pattern almost immediately? I don't know what the fact is, but if the DQG is not well regulated, you will only get 210 lumens for a short few minutes when your battery is brand new.

Do you carry spare batteries? A single AA battery holds approximately as much energy as three AAA batteries! I am not sure about weight ratios.

You ultralight guys know your business. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The specs says that at the highest setting, it will drop 60 lumens after 10 seconds. This to me, shows that is extremely well-built and thought out

The truth is that I mostly use the highest setting of a light to impress others and show them “my sweet new light”. Super long throws are not as important as best-of-best quality.

I get stoked about the marginal size/weight drop though. Higher power is just icing on the cake. DQG is the one everyone seems to be ripping off

I love walking through REI and seeing all these weak-ass lights…. Proves the power of marketing though!

Or Gander Mountain, Batteries + and innumerable other retail joints, it leaves me wondering….

I don’t have a way of measuring actual lumens…

But on medium it is nearly as bright as my dqg aa on high… So i would say around 130 lumen.

And on low around 40 lumen…

I will try and measure battery current draw with my cheapo multi meter later, and you can probably base lumen on the current draw.

Just measured the current draw on 10440.

Low 100ma
Med 300ma
High 750ma

For a lithium primary L92 (which is what is usually in my tool) the battery draw is as follows:

Low 30ma (2.5%)
Med 300ma (25%)
High 1.2a (100%)

Which I would say, going by eye only, is about 4 lumen, 30 lumen and 95-100 lumen.

I get just about an hour on high with the L92 in.

My Lumintop Tool draws on a fresh Efest 10440:

High 1.35 A
Med 0.44 A
Low 0.15 A

Mine are efest 10440s too. Not fresh, but mid cycle. Still measuring 3.7v.

Mine doesn’t seem to want to draw more than 750-800ma on high.

Perhaps your path from the battery to the driver has a higher resistance? I also measured 1.3 A on a semi-used 1.5V alkaline. Maybe yours has poor contact between the copper on the circuit board where it meets the body.

Different DMM and leads wont help either and can make a big difference from one persons reading to another.

I finally received the DQG AAA Clicky and wanted to check in.

First thing I noticed is that this thing really is smaller, lighter and has a better build (metal, machine, grip)than my Thrunite Ti. You can immediately tell its in a different class.

The Trustfire 10440 batteries also arrived and unfortunately seem to be longer than standard AAA. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KTTFN68
Any suggestions on this? I was able to turn it on, but the cap wont screw all the way down. Only the standard AAA battery fits perfectly.

I hope to find a 10440 battery that will indeed fit

I have those nail clippers on my keychain as well. 8)

They're pretty good, but sometimes they open up in my pocket. :O

I just broke out the cheap calipers, and they read virtually the same for Trustfire, Energizer Lithium primary, and a cheapo Blitz alky. Efest was 0.02mm shorter but I doubt that will make a difference here. All were button-top except the Efest. Does DQG recommend a particular cell?

Phil

Just found this:

http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_187025.html

Not sure how I missed it. Stand by whilst it ships :smiley:

Just wanted to update this and share. My quest led me to the UltraTac K18 which is far superior… Here’s why

First off, it’s a SIDE CLICKY and 360 Lumens. It’s also even lighter than the “DQG Slim AAA clicky

Upon opening - The packaging is impressive, showing all stats on the box, then, the inner black box looking classy.

This thing ships with a 10440(made by DQG), 2 extra rings and a mini-carabiner

The K18 destroys in every category, expect for being slightly longer. The DQG was shipped in a box, literally- It was rolling around in an empty box. While the DQG clicky was a big improvement over twisty lights (I’m done with twisty lights, as they are not one-hand tools) This side clicky K18 from Ultra-Tac is just brilliant. These guys are serious, which can easily be seen on their site. They mostly do laser sights for guns, etc.

In closing, the K18 from UltraTac ermerges as the true king of AAA lights. At 360 lumens, it is the best out there in this size. I also love that its completely waterproof.

(the DQG AAA slim clicky takes 2nd place. It’s really nice, but the switch sometimes sticks. Also, I dont like the drop off of 60lms after being on high for 10 seconds). It’s great for basic lighting needs, but is not in the same class as the K18)

Mission Accomplished

Here you go: http://www.ultratac.com/chanpin.asp?id=20

Efest IMR10440 is top dawg in the AAA class, hands down.
<—- pulls 3.1A for 800+ lumens, was making 1117 lumens before I changed the emitter to an XP-L HI.

Are you talking about this battery? http://www.amazon.com/Efest-10440-350mAh-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B00HYM9GFC

I’ll have to try it. My next quest is finding an ultralight charger for these. George (creator of DQG) mentioned that he is designing one :wink: