advise on RC cars / trucks?

Hard to say, the revo is not cheap to convert to electric. The 1/16 Revo is a blast to drive though. Had one for a bit but it was used and abused so it constantly broke

I vote for keeping the revo and converting it. There are some good quality brushless motors for low price at tower hobbies (their house brand “rc gear shop”) and hobbywing make decent esc’s for a good price (wp-sc8 for example).

The revo is more of 1/8th scale so look for 2200kv and below motors for the torque and prevent overheating with the extra weight.

Thanks :slight_smile: I really like all the choices with the optional springs, I find the two-spring system a lot better than regular progressive springs.
Very thick shafts, haven’t bent one yet like I did with the original shocks. Also, no oil drips or leaks ever :slight_smile:
$100 for front and rear shocks is not cheap but I kinda went all out on the small details with this car. The image is old though, so only like half of the stuff has been upgraded. Currently It’s at like 99% upgraded, with 1% stock parts :stuck_out_tongue:
I put a lot of money into it, not a budget car at all xD

Yeah, but you’ll need a motor mount and batteries at least, and electric motors are real hard on the drivetrain. Batteries to power those big builds are pricy too

I got a bit into mine, not real much though. Got the gtr shocks which is a huge improvement over stock, Traxxas aluminum front and rear carriers, hr heavy duty aluminum rear links and out masher 2ks on it. Thing rips on 2s with the stick 4 pole vxl setup.
Had a stampede roller with extended flm chassis, extended arms and all other aluminum fast lane made. Ended up selling that setup as I liked the rustler format a lot more. Thought about using all the aluminum on my rustler, but decided against it…

My only experience was with old C-cell cars with AA remotes, tootling around on the sidewalk. Then I got a truck (Nissan Somethingorother, forgot Frontier) that was nice and big, about 2ft long, all jacked up like you could run it up’n’down sand dunes at the beach… but the box/inserts warn you to not use it on sand(!!). Okay, so I used it in the parking lot at the beach, instead! :stuck_out_tongue:

Once I saw that “serious” RCing was basically a money pit of constant upgrades and the like, it kinda scared me away. I’d love to get back into it, but I just have to sit back and watch what others say, and maybe if there’s a nice cheap path, maybe I’ll take it. :smiley:

yeah… all the money investments are kinda scaring me. i am in the same boat - if there’s a cheap path, then want to dip my toes.

Oh, hey, all the talk about “22000kv” motors and the like… is that related to the motor constant of rpm/V?

Yeah, something to do with the revolution per volt.
It is a money pit, but traxxas is pretty tough, as is hpi. You don’t want a high end racer if you want to bash on them.

Exactly. The kv is the rpm per applied volt.

A lower kv will have higher torque and with a higher voltage battery pack will achieve the same rpm but with less heat.

The electronic model of a motor is a voltage-source with series resistance, which works whether treating the critter as a motor or generator.

So a low-V motor would draw oodles of amps to get the needed torque, whereas a high-V motor would need higher voltage but draw fewer amps.

I’ve used that model for different motor projects, and figured motors in RC cars would have some similar ratings, but never knew how they specified it.

Kewl…

Thanks for your input FP, I am a total NOOB in anything brushless or high speed electric motors besides the dremel :person_facepalming: Have only started to look up youtube videos to see what others have done, too much hype and snobery…

Would like some real budget advise on what to get regarding motors and ESC and need to budget if some of the servos and transmitters need to be upgraded (Stock ones are crystal based)

I am thinking it will take between 200 to 300 to upgrade, so budget waterproof alternatives would be great. Will check Tower and HWing for the items you suggest.

Thanks!

Lipos aren’t hard to get cheap honestly.

Don’t go Traxxas VXL imo too costly for performance. Sidewinder is alright. Hobbyking and similar sites have really budget options that can outspeed these, but you gotta dig around.

You would want a mamba moster or equivalent for the revo, not a 1/10 setup and good lipos are pretty pricy when you get into the bigger packs that would be needed to get the most out of the 1/8 scale setups

Check out smc for top lipos at a very good price.

Same, aluminum a-arms and shock towers are just for show, they suck for actually using the car and resisting crashes.
RPM plastic is way better :slight_smile:

same here, every stock part that breaks gets replaced by RPM.

What did you do with the other 99% stock parts? Did they break, or did you just change them for the purpose of upgrade? What is the 1% that you’re still using?

A few of them broke, but most are stored in a parts organizer (the plastic kind, with many dividers) this way I have spares of almost everything.
I could almost build a whole second car :smiley:

The 1% that is still stock is the waterproof receiver box, the screws that hold it to the chassis, and the 2 metal gears and differential inside the gearbox.
I only replaced he gearbox casing and bearings, my original plan was to replace the whole thing with the Proline HD transmission in the future when I had more money.

Stock gears are pretty good. I should have kept the fast lane tranny case and sealed diff, and the bulkhead. But sold the fast lane chassis to a buddy that’s just using it as a shelf queen