ALL THINGS BUDGET KNIVES

SOG X-Ray Vision G-10 with ATS-34 steel has a similar design aesthetic, but with a tanto style blade. I got mine about 10 years ago. Had to sharpen it just once since I got it. I cut weeds & brush with it as it has a half-serrated blade. So if the smooth edge doesn’t completely cut, the serrated part finishes the job. Absolutely stellar performance. It was over $100 new, but I bought mine lightly used for $50.

I prefer Rat 2 because of the weight. I have medium- large hands. Rat 1 for large hands but with prominent more weight.

I hardly carry knives above 85 grams in my pocket.

Yes, there’s a big size difference between the Rat 1 and the 2.

Also I have two Rat 1 clones, they are noticeably bigger and heavier (longer & thicker handle, also thicker blade, “unknown” steel) than the original. All in all, lower quality.

From top to bottom :

- fake Rat 1 (“aus8” they say)

- real Rat 1 (Aus-8)

- real Rat 2 (Aus-8)

- Esee Avispa (D2)

• Esee Zancudo (D2)

Any CJRB owners?
Can you comment on the thumbstud deployment action on any of there thumbstud models.
Thanks

I have no Rat 1, that would be too big for me. The Rat 2 though was my first knife to make a pair of scales for.

After making some more scales I find many flaws on this one but I still like it.
Maybe someday I’ll get an R2D2 to put the scales on it, Aus8 dull way too quickly for my needs.

Edit: I definitely like the old RAT logo more than the new edgy ‘O’

Fantastic deployment! I highly recommend the CJRB Centros (black), and the CJRB Feldspar large size (purple) to anybody looking for an awesome thumb stud knife. They are the first choices knives I pick when I want to fidget with a knife for hours on end.

I have seven thumb stud knives, and this is how I rate them for deployment action. I start with the number one (best) and go down to last place (#7). But, even number seven is a sweet knife, and will serve you very, very well.

1. CJRB Centros
2. CJRB Feldspar large
3. Real Steel H6 Elegance
4. Ontario RAT 1
5. Sanrenmu LAND 912
6. Ruike 801 -SF
7. Real Steel H6 Limited Edition

Just ordered one. Not expecting much for the price, but hopefully it’ll be fun to fidget with.

Yes. I own two CJRB knives. I have the Taiga and Large Feldspar. I’m not terribly impressed with either. The blades on both are very good. That’s obviously important. However, there are other issues which don’t make sense for this price tag in today’s market. For instance, neither has skeletonized liners and both are overly heavy. The pivots spin freely. Getting the right balance between action and blade play on the Taiga has been a pain. The inner scale edge of the Feldspar was uncomfortably rough. This is common for cheap knives with nested liners but given the otherwise nice contouring on the Feldspar, it stands out. Luckily, that’s fixable with an emery board. Based on my experiences, you’ll need to take these apart anyway so you might as well.

Both knives were curiously dry upon arrival. Knives shipped from China, and especially D2 knives, usually come slathered in oil. These were bone dry with squeaky actions. The Feldspar was actually stuck shut. I was unable to deploy it normally with the thumb studs. After getting them apart, I didn’t see any corrosion. However, there was a persistent white residue on the G10 interior. I didn’t see anything on the liners. The alcohol swabs looked relatively clean but when I wiped the liners down with mineral oil, those swabs looked dirty. The caged bearings looked clean after alcohol too. After applying a quality oil, dark stuff welled up from around the bearings so I gave it a second round.

My Feldspar is pretty good now and definitely the better of the two. The detent is really strong so it takes some thumb power. However, that causes it to snap out beautifully. The above work plus breaking it in over the last week has really improved the action. There was some initial lock stick but that also seems to be wearing away. It’s such a pretty knife and I love the blade shape. The blade stock is a little thick but otherwise, it’s shaped up to be pretty good. I just don’t think it should have taken as much work with a price so close to a Civivi or other knives that don’t need it.

The weight. This is what catches a lot of people by surprise if they don’t take the time to look at the specs. Chinese knives often use heavier metals on their knives. That doesn’t necessarily mean stronger or more solid. I have a 2.75” Spyderco and a Chinese “Lemifshe” D2 knife in the same size. The Chinese knife is a full 0.7 oz heavier. What I find is that most quality brand 4” blades will come in around 5oz, while a lot of Chinese knives in the 2.5” size can end up weighing as much. You really notice it.

Past 2 weeks I received a Cold Steel Luzon XL which is so overly large, which makes it so much fun. Size comparison to other CS Knives.
A Kubey KU176 nice looking G10 Brown handles, they resemble the Civivi snakeskin handles. Grey coated blade and pocket clip look very nice.
And a Twosun TS111 in Carbon Fiber, strong flipper.

Waiting for your thoughts…

Does anyone know a website that sells shot shell puller automatics for a decent price? Ever since seeing The Outsiders as a kid, I’ve wanted one like Johny’s. Scales don’t matter much to me, but a spear point blade (not a clip point) is important. One like this would be great:

Seems quite hard to find

If you can’t find any, you could try to build it yourself :

https://solastaknives.com/leverlock/

what do these shot shell pullers usually cost?

Does anyone know where is the best place to buy CJRB Feldspar large direct from China?

I bought mine from Drop and it shipped direct from China. (See my mini-review in post 4668 above.) However, it’s “sold through” over there now. I think it’ll wait until enough people request it.

If you don’t mind me asking, why does it matter that it comes directly from China?

Being in Australia its easier and cheaper when the item is made in China anyway. Buying from US/EU etc costs a margin + $30USD shipping on average. I haven’t tried Drop, maybe I need to sign up and have a look.

Maybe knives are cheapest in Australia when they're direct from China?

EDIT:
lazerEagle beat me to the punch.

Contact Artisan Cutlery directly through their “contact us” link at the bottom of the web page. http://www.artisancutlery.net/

Oh man I haven’t visited that site for a while there’s a lot more CJRB candy I don’t need, haha