An easy way to find copper to fill a heatsink with?

Or grind up a few ol pennies

As long as you use pre-1982 pennies.

I once had a hollow pill that was a PERFECT fit for press fitting Pennies (as scaru mentioned, pre 1982)

BTW, there is a direct relationship amongst metals, between its electrical conductivity and its’ thermal conductivity. In other words, metals that a good electrical conductors are also good thermal conductors. it is called the “Wiedemann-Franz Law”

“the correlation between the heat conductivity and electrical conductivity of metals.

In 1853, G. Wiedemann and R. Franz (1827-1902) established on the basis of experimental data that for all metals the ratio of heat conductivity K to electrical conductivity σ at a constant temperature is the same:”

(from the from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979).)

I learned this in school, but always thought it applied to all materials.

I recently learned on this forum (BLF) that this law ONLY applies to metals!

Diamond can be 5 TIMES better than pure copper for thermal conductivity!

Diamond and Silver torches, now your talking guys! Bling it on! But my bank balance will hate this. :frowning:

On another note, vampyre hunting lights anyone? :smiley:

I have never melted copper but aluminum is pretty easy to do with a propane torch and a crucible made from a large brake piston. I have a ton (well, a quarter of a ton) of zinc and zinc is even easier to cast but has a poor thermal conductivity.

I’ll toss this out as another alternative. Check w/ local metal roofing shops. They use copper sheeting for flashing, it comes in various thicknesses. I got a big 2’ x 2’ bit for $10. Its dead soft so you can use a punch or shears to cut to shape.

How thick is your piece?

2’ by 2’ is really big for only $10.

At Home Depot, they now chain the rolls of copper flashing to the shelves. (signs of the times)

Our house has copper gutters and down spouts, It cost me $500 for parts to do a small I repair that I did myself!

I had to do it myself, because I couldn’t find a pro to do the job.

On another topic here on BLF, Chicago-X showed off a 20lb hunk of copper. Now how much did THAT cost?

I know that I am just curious how thick it is, which you have not said as of yet.

Around the same as a new Fenix TK41, after BLF discount. :wink: