Another Candle Power Forums (CPF) example of over moderation.....

I sort of agree ... that doesn't mean you have to be able to understand where or why it makes sense or that it makes sense to you ..

Why would you personally ban someone ... if you were a mod ??

I think I'd ban someone if they constantly irritated me and I repeatedly would think their posts are constantly worthless .assbaiting ,...contentious ,crybabying,maybe someone who seems to need to be right even when he's wrong . i'd guess we all have the same feeling ....We are reading along and suddenly we realize we have a distaste for what the poster is saying and look up and it's that jerk Foy again and we think .."damn dude ...get a life " about the 15th time we look and see "he's at it again " We start to subconciously dream he'd get a new hobby,lose the ability to type ,or move along to another forum . If we all had the ability to hit a magic "go away button" there would be lots and lots of people banned from here as well ...

Lets be honest almost every time a person gets banned over there they show up over here . That's not always a good thing...People who get banned probably get banned for a reason ..even if they don't get it ..I think that's sort of the point .... They don't get it.

I like that we can and do link to cpf and see it as a resource .I don't dislike cpf..I kind of dislike the cpf bashing ,but I suppose i understand people need to get it off their chests if they feel they have been wronged .In general it's usually only someones posts that have been deleted or their accounts have been deleted or banned .I suppose if you don't care than it really doesn't matter ..So maybe the honest thing to say is I do care and my feelings are hurt ...and I miss you cpf .....Poor chicken dinner I feel your pain .....two more days buddy and you can go back and assert your right to disagree some more .....and make it a full ban .

Ditto!

I’m personally pretty pleased with the behavior over at Candle Power Forums.

Not only did their poor hospitality and heavy handed moderation cause me to stop going there, but it came at the BEST time possible. I was about to make a donation to help support the site. I’m REALLY glad that I didn’t find out just a few days later.

Additionally, I have read glowing reviews of CPF on other BLOGs, and when I mentioned my discomfort their, some guy reprimanded me for speaking ill of his favorite light site. I just related my not feeling welcome to their site.

Last but not least, I wouldn’t have found BLF without CPF’s motivation techniques!

CPF… finding us new members daily!

Maybe talk of “grey areas” leads to readers or the board itself getting into legal trouble and they want to avoid that.

55W limit must be for low beams? Because H4 high beams are 60W and H9 are 65W.

Surely that would make them the only forum on the internet to get into trouble then. Seriously how many car forums do you think there are that might talk about HIDs, my guess would be anywhere from thousands to tens of thousands of sites.

Also talking about stuff and citing actual factual documents should be considered good thing. Rather than a mod from a different country making stuff up and posting it as though it’s the gospel truth.

BTW - As I said though, it’s a little double sided. Something that is technically not illegal in the UK is deemed not allowed as it promoted illegal activity…

Yet there is always talk and picture threads of pistols and handguns on CPF, which for all intensive purposes are banned in the UK (since 1997) http://www.gundealer.net/rules.htm

Personally I like the fact there is some gun talk on there, mostly because we don’t get them in the UK. However a rational mind would say you can’t not allow something that is legal elsewhere while allowing things aren’t all under the same banner of “promoting illegal activity”. Which is what they are doing.

I wonder if I’d get banned for saying in the UK you can drink alcohol in restaurants at 16 and in pubs at 18. Both illegal in the USA…. guess I must be promoting illegal activity just by mentioning a fact.

My car is also illegal in the USA as it doesn’t meet US Type Approval, I bet talking about it would also break rule 11…. :party:

I made a post at CPF that got deleted. I read the rules and couldn’t figure out what I did wrong. Apparently, it had something to do with posting a link. I’m not upset with CPF; on the other hand, I found this site as a result, which in my opinion is better.

H4’s are available in many wattages, but 55w hi is what’s specefied and yes, they look rather dim these days, but since they replaced sealed beam lights, it was a big improvement.

Normal wattage H4 is always 55W low and 60W high.

EDIT: 2 H4 bulbs I have inside now...

[quote=Chicken Drumstick]

It’s ok. I see plenty of four wheel drive trucks with HID kits installed in the headlights and fog lights. Very bright!

The other night a car had real yellow headlights. Looked like HID but almost a gold color and hardly put out any light. I have also seen purple HID headlight which are horrible.

People in the US get away with these kits even though they are illegal. Let them get in an accident and someone claims that the lights caused the wreck and then the trouble starts.

I tried an HID kit in my maxima for one night, and while it was bright, oncoming traffic was getting blinded and my maxima is lowered. I was in traffic and the lights off the back of the car in front of me was blinding. :slight_smile: I took them off the car and sold them. I do wish I had better lighting though.

Let me guess. You were debating with Swarffinhimer, or whatever his name is??

As long as there aren’t any personal threats, attacks, or X-rated profanity, and the subject is appropriate to the forum, then who cares what gets said. If you aren’t interested in a thread, then just don’t look at it.

I did join CPF before here, but I didn’t find BLF because of CPF. I also don’t hate CPF, but I can’t believe how annal they are about things that really don’t matter.

I've had 3000K HID headlights. Not so bad as you think, at least 2 times brighter than halogen and almost same glare. And contrast on snow is excellent. Those were illegal (not because of color but having HIDs in reflector lights) so I don't have them anymore.

[quote=nitroz]

I tried some HIDs in one of my cars. Spent ages researching it and bought some. Brilliant they are and they don’t blind anyone. Not once been flashed and I’ve personally stood infront of the car to check they don’t dazzle on coming cars.

Fitting the wrong HIDs can cause issues and I think it’s a real shame nobody wants to educate people on the factors that actually cause the glare. CPF would be a prime place to offer up some real info rather than a militaristic approach to falsifying facts and misinforming people reading some of the content.

from what ive looked up, as long as the HID is in a projector type headlight assembly, you can have them. like my Vdub passat, the lows were a projector type, and high beam wasnt… so legally, i could have converted my lows to HID.
that is what i had gotten from my research, i may have misinterpreted the law, or it may have changed since.

These were really yellow, not just warm. They were no brighter than my stock 1997 maxima headlights.

I have also seen a car with green headlights driving. :~

3000K is yellow. Like fog light.

[quote=nitroz]

No doubt! They do have the, “You’re a dumba$$!” attitude sometimes when talking to someone that just wants to buy the cheap HID kits and install them.

Almost. It was insane!

I am shocked sometimes with the lights I see driving around and wonder how they get away with it.

The 10,000 to 12,000 HID color temperature cracks me up too!

8000K - 12000K are crap Even 6000K is pretty bad.