Anyone own a flaw-free flashlight? (Warning: this turned into a mild rant)..

Of course, she has to be "almost perfect", just not "perfect".

Every time I am seeking for something perfect I remember something I once read about Persian carpenters. It said that they always make sure each carpet has an imperfection because they believe that humans insult God when they are trying to make something perfect (because only God is perfect). Doesn't matter if someone believes in God or not, I like the philosophy behind this. Love your wife / family / friends and - of course - flashlights with their imperfections

Perfect flashlight? Kidding right? Almost perfect, plausible. The closest to perfection are just a few for me among them the WK21 meteor and D01 (if you do scuba diving), ultrafire UH-3D and a selected very few others. Good flashlights? Way too many to list.

Honorable mention the lovely sipik SK-68 in the ultra budget category - not by any means perfect but alot for the money.

Unfortunately i never owned zebra, fenix or other higher brands.

Yes ! unfortunately ….

Food , electricity , Petrol , there reaching for the sky !

Every light that I own has been modded to be the best it can be. There are some which have modes that I don’t care for, or a single mode when I would have preferred two or three, but those limitations can’t be overcome for lack of a driver that fits and has the right voltage range, and so they are as perfect as they can be. That doesn’t always happen on the first mod, of course. Some of them have been modified numerous times before I was finally satisfied with them. There are a few however, that are, in my estimation, perfect. Those would be my go-to lights and my EDCs. That doesn’t stop me from buying/building more though, it just raises the bar for every future purchase and project. I crave perfection AND variety. :wink:

Not I , said the cat…

There are things about every light I own that could be better.

Really flawless is only my XinTD C8 NW 3-mode... the rest has at least one thing that I would like to be changed (raise PWM in low mode on the S-Mini, get rid of the glow-dot/magnet on the DQG III)

For me JBPA40W & Klarus MiX6 would not change a thing on either. My new edc Balder SE-1 love it as is. Would change something on every other light I own.
Keith

thx! i esteem your critical assessment. you only buy high value-for-the-price products. if i ever think of buying a C8, the XinTD shall be it. ( C8's are throwers, right? well, my RC-29 throws quite far.. )

there’s no such thing as a perfect flashlight

but there certainly are lots of flashlights that are obviously stupidly flawed:

1) clips that “land” on knurling or on ridges (eats up your garments grrrr!)

2) forward clickies that change modes!!!

3) tail switch boots that protrude 2 or 3mm. wobbly tailstand!

4) utility-oriented lights that lack a proper low mode!

5) etc!!!

Nice combo of throw with flood from the XML . . maybe similar to the R5 LED in a P60 format but with more light. The only real downside of a C8 vs a P60 light is the head size being slightly larger and not good for pants pocket carry. Good all round light for coat or holster carry.

There may be no such thing as a perfect flashlight but "flaw free" as in; a light delivered to the customer without a single flaw, I've had several. Shadow VG-20, XinTD L2, Shadow JM07 and about 75% of my Solarforce lights arrived in perfect condition.

The "perfect" flashlight would weigh nothing, be invisible, have eternal run time and would be instantly as dim or brighter than the sun as needed, controlled by thought alone, inside our eyes.

/nerdmomentFoy

Remember how I said on Friday that there were a few lights in my collection that actually were perfect? Well, the following day on Saturday, I modded one of them. I still maintain that it was perfect before, but I guess sometimes, perfect just isn’t good enough.

Who says your mods actually impove lights ??

Maybe it WAS perfect ..

I would call my dqg III aaa perfect. It may not be flawless or useful for every situation but it is on my key ring so always with me. I use it daily and could not imagine not having it.

While I doubt there will ever be one light that is perfect for every situation, I do believe there are lights that do what they are designed for perfectly and therefore qualify as "perfect" lights. There is no "The perfect light" but there are a few that qualify as "A perfect light".

My Zebralight SC60 almost qualifies. Cosmetically and design and execution are flawless. The UI is the best I've ever seen, heard of, or used. The "almost" is how it can turn on in your pocket due to the switch location. Placement is perfect for the hand but with the clip exactly opposite the switch, it can come on when sitting and folds in paint crease push against the button. To avoid this you have to lock out the tail cap but then to use the light is a two step process. A couple weeks ago I actually received 1st degree burns when it came on in my pocket. Hurt like hell for days.

Last night I realized that my Micro Maglite qualifies, IMO, as a perfect light. Usually I keep it holstered and clipped to my belt loop on the left side. When I reach for a light I usually grab the zebralight because it's clipped to my right front pocket and I'm right handed. Either that or I use whatever light I'm playing with or have near me at the time. Well last night my fiance was putting a few things into the garage after we were wrapping up the cleanup phase of a graduation party for my son & step-daughter. My ZL was not on me so I pulled out the Micro. OMG! I have used it so little lately that I forgot how absolutely stunning it was outdoors! All my other lights either flood well but don't reach out far or reach out well with a bright hotspot but don't flood well. From where I was sitting the garage is about 80 feet away at the end of the back yard. Outdoors there is no visible hotspot with this light, everything is simply lit up. It is quite literally a 3.75" long yard sweeper. It lit up everything with a perfect, even spread of light that lit up everything in the yard from where I sat all the way back and into the garage like it was daylight out. Even out front of my house where there is tons of light pollution I am able to easily light up the tree line that is 100yds away. All of this with a light that is tiny, ridiculously solid and compact, has no real fail points in its design that would make it unreliable, is low voltage and thermally protected, and has modes with memory for all situations indoors or out. I am in love all over again! Today I put away the holster and carry the light exposed but clipped to my side. It will not be ignored again!

Heh. Perfect is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. You know, it’s that brief period of being completely satisfied with a light the way it is. Unfortunately, the more lights you own, the shorter that period is. Either that, or the more lights you own, the smaller the percentage is of the lights that you consider to be “perfect”.

My E1320 modded 5mode 3.5amp 7135 Solarforce clip Ultrafire UF2100 is perfect !

Sipik Sk68

I seriously can’t think of anything wrong with it.

-it tailstands
-has a great pocketclip
-is black
-stays cool
-totally bright enough
-flood to throw
-light
-smaller than my knifes actually

I don't know what your experience is with them but they have not been reliable for me. There is also the fact that you get the choice between 1 mode and Hi-Low-Strobe. I think a sk68 with a e1320 programmed driver and a better switch might be considered perfect though.

I don’t think there is such a thing as the perfect flashlight. Now I do own 2 that are my favorites. My EagleTac M3C4(updated driver) has what I call the perfect beam with a lot of throw and still quite of bit of spill. It’s my best single XM-L thrower I have. The Fenix TK41 would be my next favorite. Runs on AA batteries and has 4 regular modes of low, medium, high and turbo. And it throws very well. Then there is my Olight M3X, Sunwayman T40CS, Sunwayman V60C, and Olight SR51. But I am partial to XM-L throwers. And I still love my ThruNite Catapult V3. It’s built like a tank.