Apple Iphone Debacle: Processor slowing / bad batteries?

Umm, that is the appeal of Apple products, after all. “It Just Works.™”

It’s like buying a car with the hood welded shut, and you’re only allowed into gas-stations where someone else pumps the gas for you.

Or buying a bike with the training-wheels welded on and unable to be removed. Just so that you can’t hurt yourself.

So there’s a laudable goal, to try to stretch the runtime of aging batteries by slowing down the phone overall, so that it draws less current. After all, they don’t want a 3hr line of irate customers bitching about how they’re only getting a fraction of the runtime they used to get when the phone was new.

But even the abomination unto the LORD that is Windoze, gives you the choice as far as power-management to be able to select various profiles for when plugged in vs unplugged, from “Damn the battery, full speed ahead!” to full-on Scrooge mode to try to squeak a few more seconds of runtime out of the battery.

Apple decided that you’re not to be trusted with those choices, so they made the choice for you.

As I said, it’s a laudable goal as a choice, but they way they did it kinda sucks.

Ummm, nope, you forgot to take the square root of evil…

With all the billions they have in the bank, you would think Apple had invented a revolutionary type of battery by now… :person_facepalming:

Google’s Nexus 6P is notorious for its battery problems (suddenly shuts down even though battery is at 30-50%). Apple’s technical approach is clearly superior. Where Apple went wrong was in iOS not communicating clearly to the user that the battery is degraded and that CPU throttling is in effect (so that user could choose to get a battery replacement).

Apple, Prius, Tesla………………………….Nerdfest LOL

My $0.02… If Apple was truly just looking out for their customers, they could’ve/should’ve told people about this rather than wait for someone to find and expose it. Something like “With Apple devices, our software keeps your older devices running longer by reducing the demand on your battery.” Or something along those lines.

Never got into the iPhone thing, but I’ve been a Mac user since 2002. That said, I’m really disappointed that Tim Cook has focused on IOS products instead of making new Macs like a new Mac Mini. I have a 2006 (retired low end) , 2011 and a 2014 middle range models. Love them, but my phone of choice has been Andriod. Much cheaper options than Apple, and much more flexable.

Or use a slower CPU to advertise higher runtime. People wont notice the difference except very good runtime

This guy knows what’s up ^
Also computers never have any indication of thermal throttling.
I guess apple just assumed that it’s better for their users to not know about this kind of stuff because they always make a huge deal about it when they don’t actually understand what’s going on.
I don’t blame them, knowing what the majority of their customer base knows about electronics.

18 different versions of iOS were tested on an old device and no there is no “purposeful slow down” due to software.

It’s funny because (contrary to your beliefs) I do not use apple products and never plan to.
I do however understand the engineering limitations and design choices in this field, and why this type of current throttling is needed.

Another thing which you don’t understand is that correlation =/= causation. I highly recommend you study that topic to make better arguments in the future.
As you said, “stats don’t lie”, and if you have ever taken a statistics course at a university you will realize your correlation graph doesn’t actually prove anything.

“stats don’t lie”

But they can be manipulated ie:-

100% of divorces are caused by marriage.

Its true but not factual.

Cheers David

"evil modus on"

What if... Tesla doing somethin simular to the costumers?

"evil modus off"

Any one remeber from Windows 7, even on Windows Server 2008 R2 the core parking "feature"?

(With stock power-management settings even at constant high CPU load, 50% of the logical cores stayed "parked".)

I have owned both droid and apple phones… I have an iphone 6 thats 2.5 years old… it has begun to slow (im sure the battery has 1000+ cycles on it)

My phone will last an entire day on one charge with moderate use (web browsing, a few calls, texts)

Honestly I would rather have a slightly slower phone that lasts longer than have to replace a battery.

Out of all the phones I have owned since 2010, this iphone has lasted the longest and continued to work properly… maybe I just had bad luck with droid phones failing (and good luck with this iphone).

Well if you don’t accept the terms and conditions the new updates never install, so I don’t see your beef there. And the battery is perfectly replaceable. And I am totally on board with their decision not to include a daily-access style battery door. The phone would be half as strong if the back was not structurally bonded. They would be too delicate.

And on a related note, the headphone jack has never been removed. Even the latest iPhones come with a headphone jack. My iPhone8 has one.

sorry, divorces have many reason, not only marriage
you should say “100% people who divorce is married”

No marriage = no divorce, simple as that :wink:

Cheers David

Im not a apple fan at all but I can tell you this. My wife had a iphone 6 plus she has had for almost 3 years. About 2 weeks or there about before the new 8 came out she starts complaining to me about how her phone is getting so slow and she needs a new one. She complained more than once. We thought well its just full of stuff and getting slow. So shes a iphone person so on the day the new 8 became available she went and purchased one. She then factory wiped everything off the 6 and gave it to my son. Well the thing is still as slow as ####. Then about 3 days ago it all made sense when the news broke. Imagine how surprised we were when we heard. Well their scheme worked, they sold us a new iphone.

What if this was a flashlight company we were talking about that had sold you a 4000 true lumens flashlight with a hefty price tag(more than your average flashlight). Giving us all these great specs on how this light is better than anyone else’s. Then the advertisements were all over this forum and we all bought in. Then the next year the light dropped to 2000 lumens then the next year 1000 lumens without any of us knowing what was happening. And every year the company came out with a new flashlight that was even better at 1000 lumens more than the previous year.

Once we found out that all this was caused by the company employing special firmware code in the driver that reduced out put by half each year would any of us be upset. I think we’d all be pissed especially if ever year we bought the new model because the old one just didn’t seem as bright anymore. They tell us it was done to save the led and driver components because it was being over driven from the factory and creates a longer life for the light. Well mine was a shelf queen and only had 30 minutes run time on it. Why are you decreasing my flashlight performance its practically new.

This was just a plan shady deal. They knew exactly what they were doing and it worked my wife has a new iphony 8.
Just my 2 cents but true story :smiley:

Did you know that your 4000lm flashlight is only 4000lm for a few seconds after you turn it on?
That the output drops to about 3500 after 30 seconds?
That the light steps down to “high” mode instead of turbo in a few minutes?

Flashlight manufacturers are doing this already and nobody cares.
People just see “4000lm” on the box and pay a hundred bucks for it because the number is higher than the one that said “3000lm”.

1. Other phones don’t have to resort to this sort of scheme to keep the phones working.

2. When other phones battery gets weaker, all it gets is shorter battery life. You know, like any other piece of battery powered electronic device.

3. The screen uses 2-3x as much power as the processor does at full tilt. You dont need to lower the clock, all you need to do is dim the screen, or kill off the ugly blur effect that kills so much battery.

4. Apple knows how to add the battery warning: they already do it on Mac OS for their wireless mice, trackpads, and keyboards.

5. Even if their claims are true it’s still not a defense. It would mean Apple is selling you terrible batteries.

6. A very old LI-Ion battery can still pump out a lot of current. If you short one of those batteries through a multimeter, you can easily measure 50+ watts coming out of an old li-ion battery that was used in a smartphone.

7. I think the issues faced by the iphones is real, but due to a poor power delivery design that cannot handle any changes to the characteristics of the power delivery, and instead of fixing the issue in a way that would maintain the performance of the device, they instead saw the issue as an opportunity to feed into planned obsolescence to make the user want to buy a new device.

8. Comparing iphone to Nexus 6p is apples to oranges. The nexus 6p has a large number of hardware issues, and tons of cut corners at the board level. Google even started another recall this year due to the many hardware issues with it, and their solution has been to replace it with a first gen pixel XL if you purchased it though the google store.

9. Very little of the phone directly runs at the Li-ion output voltage. It is regulated down to lower voltages and insufficient/unsteady output voltages at those points are due to faulty design by the manufacturer.

I understand that some tests have shown IOS updates not to slow down old devices (with the exception of battery degradation update) but it is very interesting that google searches for “iphone slow” peak around the time of new iphone releases but the same does not hold true for samsung galaxy phones.

1. cool your attitude, I get that you hate apple without any logic but calm down and just don’t buy their products, simple.

2) right click image -> search google for image -> boom you’ve got all your sources
Not hard to do tbh, surprised you didn’t know how to find the source of an image.

3) Go to university and take statistics like I did and you will understand why your correlation says nothing useful.

4) If it was actually getting slower then the number of searches would not decrease after a release, they would stay constant.
Anyone who’s phone is actually getting slower (not including the battery issue) is because they haven’t clean installed their OS in a while.
Apps and files and system updates slow devices down over time which is why it is important to refresh them every year or so.
As you can see from the graph I posted above, the new OS releases don’t actually slow the phone down, it is all the crap that people have on their phones that slows it down.

I used to agree with that. But for my iPhone6 I mentioned, the camera started super fast sometimes, but now often took 10 seconds. That’s very odd. I off-loaded ALL the pictures and videos and removed the soft-deleted files. Nothing improved. I think now that the throttling was sometimes on and sometimes off. Perhaps due to battery’s charge state, or just fast after a reboot. It’s too late for me to check now. I bought a new phone because Apple never informed ANYONE in the world about what their new software would do to my device.