[Available again! - BLF special edition light] new Sofirn AAA twisty high CRI 5mm LED

Prototype looks very good!

Although there still seems to be a few edges that look as if they are not chamfered or rounded, the edges on the body knurling (were the clip grooves are) and the edges on the lower level of the tail (below the split ring in the last pic of post #927). (Sorry to go on about the chamfering, but I am just not a fan of sharp edges).

@TheOnlyDocc the gap is essential for a reliable operation of the light, without it the light wont turn on! The electrical contacts in the head and the body have to connect before the gap is fully closed. If the gap is fully closed they might not connect and the light wont turn on.

Personally I like some clear edges in a flashlight (I think the Boney is one of the ugliest flashlights around), so that is a matter of taste. But a flashlight must not become uncomfortable to hold and not wear your pockets out, and especially the edge at the side of the knurling on the battery tube seems a bit too sharp for me. I will make a remark about it to Barry.

I love that tailcap design and I hope we see it on more lights in the future.

The prototype looks great!

Now, can we get it before Christmas?

tricky question, my guess is yes, but that has been said before in BLF projects and it never became true :person_facepalming:

I am not around long enough or take parts in any BLF projects. I am assuming those projects are not as simple as this light.

This light may be “simple”! The manufacturers…no so much!
That’s what we need to have in mind in this and other projects, despite the dimension of the flashlights or the “overall project” :+1:

Still, I’d like to have a Xmas gift (these and the FW3A…) :partying_face:

yikes, that FW3A is in the work for a looong time, no?

Nice! Thanks to Sofirm and BLF users in this proyect; I think that we will see the first samples soon enough.

Looking very nice, indeed!

If Sofirn want to go straight to production, rather than sampling to BLF testers, I can live with that for a $6 light. For an expensive light, I’d be waiting for reviews first. I might just order one of each colour temperature to start with, make sure I’m happy, and then order the remaining lights I want.

Yeah, Sofirn has a lot of reasons to keep BLF members happy. :money_mouth_face:

The sample looks great! I continue to be impressed how quickly Sofirn is pushing this project along. Keep it up!

That PCB doesn’t appear populated, so I’m guessing this is an assembly test piece, and perhaps the driver isn’t ready to test quite yet.

Commercially speaking, they have no obligation to send samples to members, or really any obligation at all to us.

It could help achieve stronger initial interest to get samples out in the wild and tested, but if they prove with their own tests and through user experience after sales begin that they have designed a good quality twisty with a known great emitter, the long term result should be the same.

I hope they do share videos of some of the tests. That should be fun.

I will also enjoy seeing who tests it harder: Sofirn or gurdygurds.

+1 Yep. :+1: … And because of the great way Sofirn is working with BLF, we BLF members have a lot of reasons to support Sofirn also.

Support them with our words & money…. $$$. :beer:

Thank you Sofirn!! :slight_smile:

1 for me

Please count me in for 1 x 3200k and 1 x 5600k! Thanks!

I asked Barry two things: will the clip fit right and firm (this was because of questions in this thread when seeing the bare machined pics of the prototype), and also what if a clip would simply be included for 50 cents or a dollar more, would that be possible.

This was his answer:
“The clip is frinking tight actually. Please don’t worry. We will make sure it can be reversed and won’t be lost easily as well.
If BLFers want the clip be included, no problem. Overall price will be $6.5 or $7, I need to make sure.”

So the clip is nice and tight, and if we want it, we can have the clip standard included, but at small extra cost. But he will have to confirm what the costs will be. I’m inclined to go for the clip standard included if the extra costs are limited, Waddayouthink?

He also sent a picture to show that the clip fits well, but I agree with him that his photographic skills are quite lacking, the way this picture is taken makes the clip attachment look even worse than in the precious pictures :party:

So I guess we choose to rely on his word then :slight_smile:

Overall price $6.5 would be great! :heart_eyes:

Half of what Fenix charges for their cheapest light !

I rarely ever use clips for anything, so I would just as soon not have it. BUT, that said; whatever the groups wants suits me fine. :+1: . :wink:

I definitely want the clip.

Having it come as standard with the light would be more convenient for making sure I actually bought the right clip :slight_smile: but I’m fine with buying it separately if need be.