Baked / Heat Colored Convoy Pictures

Anyone ever baked a purple convoy?
Im very curious what color it would turn.
(Specifically the lighter purple of the C8+)

Love the results! I never thought I would say that I will be baking my flashlight tomorrow

Has anyone experimented putting a flashlight in an air fryer?

Might be a pain to place the parts in such a confined space.

How about in a fireplace?

First attempt at baking. Used to be a black M21B. Quite happy with the result.

Oven at max 250 C
Bezel 11 mins
Head 23 mins
Tube and tailcap 30 mins

@Verodin:

Looks great!

Thanks, just had to try one of these BFL recipes. Very tasty pretty :smiley:

It feels so strange to just put some flashlight parts in the oven
 too much black already, so why not. Very curious how other colours would turn out. But not many examples around.

Sometimes there’s strange variations in the dye. I have a black Boriut D10 that turned army green and a black Boruit D25 that turned the typical reddish-golden.

Hmmm, that would make it less easy to predict the end result. Although it seems most times black turns that reddish-golden.

Did another one, this time a grey S2+. Been sticking labels on same coloured flashlights to keep them apart and baking seems a much nicer way of ‘marking’ them. Sofirn SP10 series anyone?

Just 5 mins seems to have changed it enough to make it more recognisable.

Looks good Verodin! I may need to consider baking a gray S2 or S2+ in the future.

I don’t have any duplicates of Convoy colors and baking them is a great modding option.

Looking at my green S21A make me wonder how that would turn out.

Verodin or NeutralFan;
I tried baking my K1 (basically an S2 from KD) for over 1 hr 30 min at 500ÂșF but nothing happened. A very slight crackling of the finish. I didn’t use the broiler as I presume uneven heating standing upright. Maybe I should re-try but strung from the rack?

Picture (the one on the left): I had to tone down the Exposure Value as the auto-white balance made everything wash out – the actual colour is much more like ‘white gold’ (a jeweller’s alloy of gold with other metals to soften the yellow).

Has anyone tried a gold-coloured one?

I suspect cooking the finish actually decomposes the pigmentation(s) if organic – but would not place any wager of such dyes.
If they are mineral-based, then the salts would go into a higher oxidation state; as Fe to Fe+. Perhaps the white gold on my light is electroplated? Perhaps the metallic finish can’t have its valence changed?

I have long wondered what various greens might turn into! If you do yours please share a pic. The deeper green of the S2+ might be interesting.

I think I’ll do the grey S21B and see if it’ll nix some of that blue hue it has
might even do that to the FW3A and FWAA.

When I’ve done black hosts it seems like it takes a few hours
one didn’t really finish black-to-orange for almost five hours but it turned out really nice. I do them in a small toaster oven set on max (around 450°F if it can maintain that). Figured the small space in there was more efficient for the job compared to using the range oven.

’Twas mentioned before that yeah, baking does indeed crack the ano. Usually “microscopically” so that it’s hard to tell, but if extreme, then noticeably.

Oh, I read the thread and was so pointing out that the colour didn’t change much at all. My query was why it didn’t ‘bake’?

Addendum: Meant to say that I had read a previous post (not necessarily this one), from some years ago, about the baking. Can’t find it at the moment.

Just to clarify my posting, ’case someone construes it erroneously.

Ah, thought that was a “part 2” of the question.

Unno. Maybe a sort of electrodeposition like “chroming” a part?

Fwiw: I just the parts upright in an old brownie baking tin and set the over to hot air. Evenly heated all around.

My guess would be the composition of the anodization is something unusual maybe.

Would like to know the result as well. Working on getting a full set of B35AM and half will be hosted in the S21B that only comes in black and grey. So if yours turns out nice, I’ll have a go at it as well.

One idea I’m considering is sticking 4 black ones in the oven and take them out in 5 to 10 min intervals. Maybe create a bronze golden rainbow.

Having a forced air oven does make for even cooking. I don’t have such.

But I suspect the finish is electro-plated. Sur feels silky smooth, not the typical dry feel (I don’t want to use the chalk metaphor as that was not well received on some lights).

Anyways, my objective was twofold: get the light in the colour scheme of its siblings (as in the photo), and perhaps get a better feel on that bleached touch.
So I set it aside and may later sandblast (rather glass blast) and try my hand at some DIY anodization. It’s the dyes that are not up to par. Many give poor results and IIRC from some previous thread, the better ones aren’t cheap. Some digging in the annals of BLF

Tried a Sofirn LT1 bottom cap to see if this one was possible. No change at all, it remained black as if new out of the box.

Seems strange that your K1 didn’t start changing color after all that time. If it were me, I’d double down and cook it some more.