Balder BD-4, BD-2 and BD-1

So they are giving you the BD-2 for free? Or do you have to return it (sometimes the reviewer does not have to return it even though they have to return it, or for higher value stuff they purchase at a discount. Eg this is always the case in the Hifi world).

Looks good in my opinion.

Actually the BD-4 is $111.99 with DHL shipping included. Or 12.49 for the DHL shipping. So it is not too bad.

They have not asked me to send it back and I can't imagine they would given that it is not really a high price. usually with flashlights, they let you keep the review samples. Human nature means it does become a little tougher to remain objective in this scenario however, so I do need to constantly remind myself of this when I review. Then the danger becomes to overcompensate in the negative direction. I'm not always an easy reviewer so hopefully they don't get ticked off if I end up having to give it a negative review.

CORRECTION!

I didn't notice that. All models have free shipping, with the BD-4 being DHL as 2100 stated. So actually, the over all price is lower for individual purchases since shipping would have been over $8 starting with the cheapest model. CN totally threw me a curve ball there.

Hm... that changes the situation. Ok, waiting that review, Sir ;) (hope it will be a true review, and not "If you make a positive review, we will let you to keep that sample light")

Heh heh...so what are you waiting for? :D

Upgraded my order to DHL. Good stuff!

If it were 20 bucks, I would be a guinea pig for BD-1 :bigsmile:

For the BD-4, it gets better.

2 groups UI with memory :
Group one-- Hi>mid>Lo
Group two--Hi>mid>Lo>Strobe>SOS
To change groups, wait for it to flicker once in Lo, turn it off, wait for 3 secs and turn it on.

Heresy.

Hopefully some BD reviews shortly ....

This range of flashlights certainly look interesting , but then all the new ones are interesting ..

Oooh for deep pockets ...

This one costs 270 bucks and uses Seoul. Ugh... But you can buy 6 control rings of 6 different colours and change them out! Also can get 3 different body style tubes and lego. What The!....

asd

asd

1.45A at the tailcap. My meter is definitely not that accurate. In comparison STL-V6 gets 1.35A, my Shadow TC6 gets 1.20A.

Tint of U2 LED is pretty good, not as cold as I was expecting it to be.

Flashlight ran for 40 mins no issue and still running it, changed mode multiple times etc. No heat issue due to high mass to soak up the heat first, and the surface area of the head portion seems to be nearly 3X than that of say a TC6.

Mass of the light is quite high, it is very well made in fact it seems to feel more expensive than a TK70 and at least in my opinion hangs with the Olight etc. The feel is very very solid, not sure how did they do this. The HA is matt, so that is GOOD! I love matt finish, and the feel is 1-2 levels above a Solarforce L2T depending on how you look at it. If you own a Solarforce Skyline-1 or MPP-1, this is easily 1 level above it.

I am not sure why the light feels so different from other well made lights, is it more massive than all the other 2-cells stuff i have handled.

Selectable grouping of 3-mode H-M-L or 5-mode H-M-L-Strobe-SOS. You change group by going to Low, wait for it to blink once, and then switch it off immediately. Fire it up again and there you go...

More info to come, don't have my lux meter with me.

Supposed to go to the local electronics building to get a Uni-T meter (ebay is good but expensive) but was waiting for the courier!

Oh I see, it is like 2.5X the weight of a Olight M3X. Tongue out

Lead weights, that's the secret.

Nope, stripped out the light, could not find any lead. And while putting back the glass it slipped and broke. LOL! So I guess the 54mm UCL lens that I ordered last week would come in handy. Anyway I found that the glass lens that comes with the X5 / DRY are pretty thick, and they cut about 12-15% of the light. So I think need to order more.

The Sky Ray STL-V6 cut 6%. Pretty thin.

Instead i found this

asd

• Lux is 38.5k @ 1m. Measured at 8.17m. The lens should be 54mm.

• That's a good job for a OP reflector. Eg, the Fandyfire STL-V6 gets 45k. And because it's OP, the beam quality is very good, the edges of a XM-L SMO based hotspot just blurs out. So this light won't rival your SR52/M1X or even Fandyfire STL-V6, but it emphasises on the feel and quality.

• The spill is very limited, noticeably less than even the On The Road X5 or FF STL-V6. The reflector is significantly deeper than X5 or STL-V6. It is of the same depth as the Solarforce MPP-1. Could be a boon for those who don't like the spill reflecting on the ground (esp snow) which affects low-light vision.

• The single thing that bugs me slightly is the slight green tint in low mode. And yeah the low mode is pretty low, 44mA. So this would run about 70hrs in low mode with NCR18650A.

• Xeno E03 XM-L low gets me 9.2 reflected lux, this is BD-4 3.5 reflected lux. BD-4's low mode has the same reflected ceiling lux as a iTP A1 EOS XP-E in medium. So probably around 30 lumens ballpark. This would make low-mode enthusiasts fairly happy (remember this light takes 2 cells, it can do 70 hrs or 3 days in low mode continuously).

• PWM is non-existent. I put the front against a black cloth to try to listen for any frequency, nope. With iTP A1 EOS, i can hear a 2kHz buzz, but visibly while shaking it vigorously up and down you can just barely detect a hint of PWM. But with the BD-4, nope...nothing...absolutely stable. Doesn't seem to be using PWM.

• I mentioned the current measured at tail, here it is again. 1.45A fully charged Panasonic cells, or take it as 1.4A.

• There is no knurling on the body, but all the cuts are really sharp/aggressive/exact. When you hold it, you can feel the cuttings. You may or may not like this. This gives it that sharp look when viewing up-close.

• SOS is perfect. It goes ...---... ...---... ...---... Some lights go ... - - - ... ... - - - ... which is quite difficult to decipher. Don't like those blinkies? There are 2 groups for you to select in the UI, H/M/L or H/M/L/S/S

Thats not a 7mm thick wall.. no.. its not.

What do you mean? Of course if you see the design of the body tube, the 2 sides are cut out...something like a circle and left/right side sliced out. And only the front part is thick. Good for increase mass for heat soak. This thickness at the front runs for ~ 1 inch.

Trust me, the tube of this feels way way more solid than Fenix (my TK70). But it's an unfair comparison of course, Fenix tubes are known to be really weak. :D

Thanks for the info :)

BD-4 uses PWM (Martin from Balder confirmed this), but it seems it's very high frequency. That's good. But I tought, that BD-4 uses SMO reflector. At least this was in description ...Too bad, it looked like a massive thrower. With this diameter and depth of reflector it should do well over 50K lux (in SMO) and rival Olight M3X.

Tommorow, I should pick mine from post office (didn't have time today). Will try to post a couple of pics :).

The weakness of Fenix tubes is just a joke, right ? ;)