Best in class AAA, AA 18650 (My Humble Opinion)

AAA: Jetbeam Jet-u: small, very well made, cheap, very efficient with ~100 lumens.
AA/14500: Nitecore MT10a: modest price, well made, efficient, very bright.
18650: Sunwayman C23C: well made, excellent UI, well regulated at 600 lumens, modest price.

I dislike the Manker U11, mine arrived with chips, the UI is too complex, the charging cover gets in the way of my fingers, and the clip interferes with the tailcap. Nicely made, and good value. Efficient too. And well regulated.

what is “dragons-eye”?

How much were Manker U11 and Astrolux S3 on sale?

AAA: Ultratac K18
AA: Olight S1A
18650: Nitecore MH20

That’s my personal opinion

AAA: Astrolux A01 and BLF-348
AA: NiteCore LA10 CRI
18650: Manker MK34 with Nichia 219B (I have the M43 Meteor with Nichia 219B too, but I actually like the MK34 more)
18350: Astrolux S41 / Manker E14 with Nichia 219B

Yeah, I know, I love high CRI and Nichias…

Since everyone’s sharing, here’s my cherry-pick:
(to note, my collection is quite limited, so don’t expect too much)

AAA: Thrunite Ti3.
Why: Firefly first, great runtimes on the 2 lower modes, versatility, practically no size or weight, and mine is the rare example of an XP-G2 with an absolutely beautiful tint.

AA: Thrunite T10.
Why: Aimplicity and ease to use (only 3 modes that are easy to navigate thru), light weight, goes to firefly when first switched after turned on and ramps up from there, and pleasant beam pattern (very wide spill with large hotspot, almost like a TIR).

18650: Thrunite TN12 2014.
Why: Lovable mode distribution, just the right size to operate one-handed, serves as a self-defense tactical light in a desperate pinch.

Runner-ups:

AAA: Fenix E01.
Why: Legendary durability, exceptional runtime, can’t get any simpler than that.
Why not: No pocket clip. (Purple tint and ovoid beam don’t matter to me when I’m using an AAA, it’s my backup so I’m not gonna hunt white walls with it).

AA: Jetbeam BA20.
Why: Simple with only 2 modes, comfortable UI (head loose or tight for low or hi modes respectively), feels good in the hand.
Why not: Don’t have it anymore :blush:

18650: Convoy C8 with OP reflector.
Why: Wonderful invisible PWM, beautiful beam pattern that allows it to be used at close range with no problems, nice feeling with just the perfect balance between heft and compact-ness.
Why not: Annoying UI switching (I use it a lot on Low, and have to mentally measure the seconds so as to not change mode groups) due to old firmware (I have a feeling that one with TK’s new firmware would shoot to the top of my list easily), clunky to pocket (don’t have the clip for it or the dosh to buy it), relatively short runtimes and no sub-lumen level.

I also have a few lights that are pure NOPE, but this is not the thread to post them.

AAA/10440 Olight i3s, everyday in my pocket.

Well, I’m glad to see we can all agree on the best lights. :person_facepalming:

It just goes to show, we all want different things. :slight_smile:

May also depend on each persons experience with a particular light, having heard so many people singing the Astrolux A01’s praises I bought one … initially it wouldn’t turn on at all and now it turns on and changes mode only if it fees like it and is absolutely horrible to use and totally unreliable so would be described as teh worst AAA I’ve had.

In comparison my Tank 007 e09 and Ultratac K18 never miss a beat and the fact the Astrolux may have a slightly nicer tint becomes totally academic if you can’t switch it on when you need to.

Here’s my pick from what I own:

AAA: Lumintop Tool AAA Aluminum
Why: Versatile EDC keychain light with good mode spacing and good runtime. I have the cool white version, but it looks like there’s now a Nichia version on Amazon.

AA: Zebralight SC5w
Why: Love the UI, the beam (good floody beam with decent throw for the class), the output, the efficiency, and the build. The only negative is the size and weight.

18650: Zebralight H600Fd
Why: Love the UI, the beam (awesome smooth flood), the tint, the CRI, and the versatility of a headlamp (right angle light). Since its floody, the throw is lacking. But for my general use, its pretty much the perfect beam.

Here’s my runner up from what I own:
AAA: BLF 348
AA: Fenix E12
18650: Thrunite TN12 2014 neutral white

That confirms what I was saying about us all being different. The Zebralight SC5 has the UI from hell, when I pick it up I can’t remember how it works, it’s so different from my other lights. Programmin it is a nightmare, and the mode spacing is absurd. It is very efficient, and well made though, albeit with poor anodising.

Uniformity breeds spice not.

Lol. The first time I was shown a Zebralight, I was hecka confused too.

But once I understand the UI, its actually really really easy. Programming is actually really easy too. It makes going to my other lights really unpleasant. I have one light that has 5 levels. Its always so annoying to cycle through all 5 levels…especially this particular light has 2 levels that appears not too different.
I love having “shortcut” to 3 main levels. And its quick to toggle between the “slightly brighter” vs “slightly dimmer” (programmed level). But I agree that initially, the UI seems like its from hell. When handing my Zebralights to others, everyone struggles to turn it of and off and switching levels (just as it was for me before).

The 2 other UI’s thats pretty good too (to me anyways) is my Olight S1 and Armytek Wizard Pro v3.

I can’t choose best in class for the most part in my usage, and no one can agree on the definition for the classes anyway :slight_smile:

These lights get my Lifetime Achievement Award for what they do, or how they do it (or did in their day). Most of these are older, but have earned their award the hard way. I’m sure I’ve missed many… but that will have to wait for another day.

AAA - Mag Solitaire, Fenix L0D, LD01, LD01SS, E99Ti, Maratac, Streamlight MicroStream, Astrolux A01, Surefire Titan Plus

AA - Nitecore EZ-AA, Photon Pro, Zebralight SC5Fd, SC5Fw, SC5x

2xAA - Fenix L2D

4xAA - Fenix LD40, LD41

8xAA - Energizer Double Barrel

CR123 - Bitz, NovaTac, EDS, Fenix P1D, McGizmo Sundrop, Surefire Backup, Sunwayman V10R

2xCR123A - Fenix P3D, Surefire C2 HA, Surefire E2D Defender Ultra

18650 - DereeLight CL1H, JetBeam III-M, Fenix TK11, Zebralight SC62w, Zebralight SC600Fd III plus, Zebralight SC62d

4x18650 - Nitecore TM06, EagleTac MX25L3 Nicha

3x18650 - Manker MK34

2x18650 - Eagletac M2XC4, Fenix TK35/35UE, Nitecore EC4SW

26650 - D.Q.G. Tiny 26650

18350 - Manker E14

CR2 - Jil-Lite Longrun, AEON

Button Cell - Photon Freedom

Headlamps - Zebralight Hx/Hxx/Hxxx (They are all great)

My choices are:

AAA - Acebeam M20. Perfect modes including moon and 150 lumens on High. Weighs next to nothing

AA - KRONOS X5 Cu. Massive output and throw. Easily modded to 2700 lumen quad.

18650 - Manker E14 Nichia with 18650 tube.

10440- Texas Poker at 870 lumens with Nichia 219C (the light in my Avatar, Titanium with copper light engine/finned section)
14500- Zebralight SC52 at 1117 lumens with ramping firmware on a driver I built for it
18650- Rey’s Titanium X6 as a Quad at ~4524 lumens (21A draw in Turbo on an LG HE4) Also built the FET driver for this one. :wink: It’s got 11 Trit vials, in alternating RGBW with a Purple spacer between the 2 sets of color. (I’m a photographer, hence the colors, spin it fast and they appear white)

I’ve had the Texas Poker around my neck for some 3 1/2 years, always have light. Spare cell in a custom battery holder on my keychain. It’s custom made to my design by Photon Fanatic, using my own Surgical Grade Titanium. Raises the bar on class, being a one of a kind custom. :wink: Built the 5 level 10mm FET driver for it from scratch.

Edit: I guess if you want to consider readily available lights…

10440- MecArmy PT10 (triple emitter, around 900 lumens)
14500- Rey’s Brass Pineapple (or perhaps the 1100 lumen MecArmy PT14, same triple head as the PT10, different cell size. Both MecArmy’s have built in USB charging, as does the Nitecore below)
18650- Nitecore MH20GT

X5 runs on AAs ?!? That´s new to me. Thought 14500 only.
K.

The X5 is most certainly 14500 Li-ion only :wink: