Better bike mount (and possibly parallel battery light) wanted. Don't want to break my light again.

The Fenix Bike Flashlight Mount (AF-02) should be a little sturdier than those cheapos and I would loctite the lower screws, in any case I would suggest some sort of security lanyard attached to your handlebars.

Don't get me wrong - that is a nice solid mount and I have two of them. But they come in different diameter sizes and don't fit every light as there is limited adjustment room with the design. I'm just recommending he check size before ordering, especially if he ends up getting a different light. If he's a commuter and wants to take his lights with him, it's a little more involved with a C8 style with the larger cap.

I use them with my C8 and it is kind of a pain it doesn't fit perfect but it still works and it definitely won't fall out. Lately I have been using two of these mounts with two EDI-T P4s zoomed out and they fit perfectly. I also have a couple different thickness rubber strips like the one on the handle bar side to use for smaller diameter lights. It definitely is a hassle trying to get the light removed quickly with these mounts. Hopefully someone will chime in with the perfect mount, it is almost like you need to build your own custom mount for each light.

There is a lot of good ideas on the page Garybunk posted. I get so paranoid about mounting sharp aluminum plates to my bars when the reality is if I crash and cut my leg on the mount it will be the least of my problems as I am sliding down the road on my face.

I just ordered that one..I have the lockblock one and the other one posted a few posts up and they both aren't very sturdy..work ok for small lights but not for bigger ones..for 8$ at manafont I think the fenix is the way to go..

I saw those on DX I think and there was a couple reviews were people said they had to add a set screw to keep them from spinning on bumpy terrain. I can't confirm this myself since I don't own one, but please let us know how it works when you get it. Thanks.

model and it is rock solid. the new one looks even better. yeah, it is a lot more expensive, and i can't speak for the new one, but i am absolutely sure my light will not ever fall out of it.

I made the same mistake, argh!!

Manafont: US$2.44 shipped.

i paid EUR5.90 (=7.80US$) for it because the seller sold it as Klarus bike flashlight mount BD1 or B1A

I also had the older one and it was solid in construction but the handling was annoying since you had always to tighten/loosen 2 top screws simultaneously. The new one should be improved in that regard, but I don't own one. The 360° mechanism had a little bit of play on the old version, resulting in a little rattling... I got rid off that by forcing a rubber band between the discs. Very solid overall but not the most convenient bike holder. I now use this holder exclusively with C8s,(fake)SFs, UF504bs and Hugsbys P32/P31, but it isn't adjustable. With big lights or 2x18650 combination ... I would advise a fastmount lanyard which stays on the handlebars at all times and simply clips onto the lights.... the shorter the better... less fall distance.

nice links Vectrex, and really good prices, amazing!!

i am thinking that a swivel holster with belt clip could work too.

one could clip the holster to the belt or to some part of the jacket.

i agree that the Klarus flashlight bike mount is NOT RECOMMENDED TO USE for serious riding. for light rides (or people who take it light and life easy) it's still a good buy.

very cheap from those Chi*ese merchants!

i have several of those mounts you suggest, they seem to fit my L2 fine but i have worked diligently to eliminate annoying flashy modes from my light collection and as a result none of my p-60 drop-ins have strobe capability.

i feel this might be helpful on a bike, so which ones do you recommend?

review of the fenix vs the lockblock..

http://tonyandmiketakingahike.com/comparison-of-the-fenix-af02-and-the-twofish-lockblocks-bike-mount/

and a full review of just the af-02..

http://tonyandmiketakingahike.com/fenix-af02-bike-mount/

Sorry I am a little confused, you want me to recommend a driver or a drop in with a strobe?

You do realize this is upside down, don't you kreisler? Wink

I have used this mount several rides and had no issues with it, as long as the torch used is a really snug fit into the cradle and the nut holding the mount on the bars is tight. But you know what? The easiest, most versatile (helmet or bar) and cheapest mount out there is the Twofish Lockblock (or DX knockoff). If you search Amazon or Google shopping, you can find a 5 pack of genuine Lockblocks for $15. they work best with small form lights like L2, P-Rocket, ST50 or even up to a C8. If you are using a light with a bigger head, you can graduate up to a Twofish Cycloblock, which is just a beafier version. That Fenix mount, while steady looking, is huge, takes up way too much real estate on the bars. If you need a helmet mount, again the Twofish is the easiest one to make do.

Read the comparison review Pounder linked to - it's a good one. Jack the Clipper uses 2 Lockblocks. I use 1 or 2 on most rides. No need to get fancy or spend a lot. Velcro might be old technology to some, but it still works!

sorry.

looking for a p-60 drop-in for my L2 that has good strobe capability for use as a bike light.

wondering if there is one better than another that anyone out there has used. all my drop-ins have no flashy modes. find these modes annoying usually.

The "upside down" "Klarus bike" clamp would probably be fine for a smaller light. It held my big Trustfire TR-3T6 for 20km.

But since it only uses a clip in mechanism I am not going to trust it. I do think that if I bought two of them I could drill out the rivet in the centre and use the screwable parts as Conduit Clamps (which were not available with the flat bits in my local hardward store) as recommended by Gary (garybunk) above, and the cool nordicgroup bike mount page that he recommended.

I am thinking of ordering the list below, from DX, which includes a cheap "C8", the fake two fish velcro mount and the one that E1320 ("duct tape"!) kindly recommends because it can hold my TR-3T6 if it gets better.

Universal Bicycle Mount for Flashlights and Gadgets (2cm~3cm Diameter Adjustable) $2.79
Universal Adjustable Bicycle Mount for Flashlights (2cm~4cm Diameter) $2.39
UltraFire C8-T6 Cree XM-L T6 800LM 5-Mode White LED Flashlight (1 X 18650) $18.80

I have 2 drop ins with strobes the DX XML 5 mode and the Dino Direct XML 5 mode the DX strobe is very slow not very attention getting the Dino Direct one is a little faster but still not that good. I have made drop ins for people wanting strobes using a Nanjg 105C the strobe on that one is nasty and will get peoples attention also there is a 3 mode driver it's a red direct drive driver that came in the F-15 I have seen them on KD but I can't find it now it's got the nastiest strobe I have ever seen and it pull almost 4 amps on high. Sorry I don't have more info I usually try to avoid strobes also.

The F-15 in the above photo was modded by E1320 with a neutral XML and a five mode driver . I use it in mode 4 , which is , I believe , 1.4 amps .

Bright and doesn't get warm at all .

Edit : The F-15 is a 4B tint XML .02, .09, .65, 1.5, 3.15 with memory.

Over 500 lumens with no heat that's awesome.

I think that the C8 style light is probably the best for a handlebar light . Weight , brightness , beam profile , and runtime are all factors that this style does well .