BlackShadow Queen mod with R, G, B, W and UV

It was kind of a pain, I had to push on the back side of the board through one of the wire holes as I tightened down the bezel. There are no centering features in this light, but I did include the rings on the silkscreen so it’s easy to tell when you find the right spot.

I usually order all my driver components from Mouser, and just get the LEDs from there as well to save on shipping.

Since this was a one-off job, I just modified one of my boards. I also don’t think you could get the PCB manufacturer to put the board edge so close to components (there’s less than 1mm between the cutout and the XQ parts)

You’re right, at this time I’ve decided not to share the source code, but the hardware is all open source, and I am happy to provide programmed PICs if anyone would like to build their own

Yes, the PICkit programmer is around $40, but there are some very low-cost DIY options similar to what’s available for AVR (although not as many)

Thanks to all for the kind words about my UI! It’s the result of many years of planning, countless flashlight modifications that I wasn’t happy with, and many months of coding and revising.

Beautiful mod you have there. :heart_eyes:

wow :open_mouth:

now that what i called a modding :heart_eyes:

OSHPark specifies a minimum of 15mil clearances from the traces to the edge of the board (internal cutouts are also considered an edge). That’s <0.4mm. The bigger problem is that the normal routing tool is 100mil. No matter how you layout drill hits (no overlapping drill hits!) or milling operations, this leaves a bunch of dead space around the central LED. Here’s my thread where I floated some ideas on the subject in relation to an XM-L - in-flashlight voltage readout stuff, WIP. As you can see, I left a rectangle in the middle (the black colored open circle is 100mil). This would become a rounded rectangle.

I haven’t asked about milling through drill hits. That may be allowed, but I don’t think it would gain much space. You’d do hits to clearance the corners and then mill the flats.

Switching to an XP-L is probably the thing to do now.

Thanks for the further explanation.

Until someone’s shows me a miss milled board from oshpark I am sure it can be made.
I have for example made a driver board with through holes on the edge and let oshpark mill half the holes away with no problems…I also know some guys which just made a line of drill holes for cutting pcbs in half, itead forbids this but it worked…