BLF lately is anything *but* Budget!

Anything with annoying blinky modes just generally pisses me off, so I’ll do driver-swaps on most critters I get (at least those which have drivers (sizewise, etc.) that I can replace).

That’s why I still play around with ’502s and C8s. ’501s less so, except for like purple ones for my UV lights. Mainly I buy (bought, actually; no more of that) cheap ones only for use as hosts.

I’m not really interested in anything that’s just going to end up as a shelf-queen. The “WHOA!” factor is kinda lost on me. I got an L2, but I intend to use that as the need arises (eg, anything out of reach of a C8). Something that throws 12,000lm for 35sec before the LED goes incandescent or the batteries go nova? Feh.

So yeah, I’d be interested in a “budget DIY forum”.

At least an arm and a leg.

BLF-FTW
BLF-FTW’s picture

My thoughts exactly. :+1:

I bet if I could see who marked my first post in this thread as rude it would say who the actual user is that started this thread lol

:person_facepalming: Probably eh?

Oh well, no skin off my back. I thought the OP generated an interesting discussion here, and not inflammatory (yet). :innocent:

http://budgetlightforum.com/forum/otherled/mods

:wink: Just sayin’.

Ah ok, just checking. :slight_smile: :+1:

Good points. Nice to get a perspective from somebody on the other side, or rather, both sides.

Well, it’s one super deal fter another here nowadys.
How many coupon topics and the like do we have here?
Maybe my memory is not accurate, but i was gone here for about 2 years and it was not like that back then.
None the less, there are many sweet deals that get hmmm… well, ‘advertised’ in those topics, but it’s more like a market place nowadays…

What i see is that many members join because of a product to buy.
This is how it may have turned into a bit of a marketplace sometimes…

It’s still so much better compared to paying the full MSRP price mmmm

Agreed. :slight_smile:

or is it A - greed…?

I joined many moons ago for the Jokes (JacktheClipper had me rolling.) and stayed for the flashlights once I understood what the heck everyone was talking about. Thought they were nuts on being so crazy on modding, still think they are crazy.
Now I’m just crazy along with the rest of the asylum.

As far as the forum changing, yes and no, it’s all good.
Can’t stop progress!
Still many a good deal gets highlighted here for under $20 without being a group buy.
Worth double the price of admission as they say!

It’s a free marketplace. If you don’t like the price that’s being offered you are free to reject it and go elsewhere. Another alternative is to setup your own production line since it’s so easy and you’ve got the loads of experience.

I just find it funny (not so much) that this person who is clearly a long-term forum member spits the dummy over a forum that he/she was neither forced to join, participate in, or stay here when it “changed”.
There is nothing stopping this person leaving. Nor is there anything to stop this person focusing on the threads they want to. There are plenty of lower priced lights being discussed on here, sure the ‘average price’ of the discussed lights has gone up - even I’ve noticed that - but no one is forcing anyone to buy or chat about the lights they find too expensive. What one can buy today for say $50 beats the living crap out of what one could buy 5 years ago for $50.
And for dam certain no one gets picked on for asking about a cheap light. The most that happens is a recommendation not to buy said light due to the fact it’s a POS - not because it’s cheap. BUDGET = being smart with your money. If I can buy a light 10x better for 2x the price I will buy it.

Given that every other thread is not about Surefire or Zebralight, then I think we can safely still call it Budget Light Forum.

I only got into flashlights about 4 years ago… I still find the price to performance ratio amazing. I mean what do you define as a cheap flashlight “from back in the day”… And I bet that light has absolutely no chance against a $20 BLF A6. And sure I spent $35 on an Astrolux SC. And it’s worth every penny. Probably just in the brick of raw copper alone. Lol!

I don’t know much about the spirit of the ‘old’ BLF but “I you don’t like it just leave” was probably not part of it.

All one need do is go back to the beginning and read to find out. What’s missing are the occasional spats, food fights, and melt downs that SB had to put a lid on. A lot of characters have come and gone that I know of and more before I joined. Some of the melt down threads also included items of interest that are now lost. The mainstays of the forum are different people entirely but the body of knowledge and kit of skills we get to pass on is built on what was thrashed out by them. One could spend many hours learning how what we now take for granted came to be.