*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

The final version is impressive and up for it.
Just out of curiosity ,you experts might have already thought through and scrapped the idea.

Was there any rationale,say $$, for not making the hanging hook …a double-hook hang loop…same thing but split to two.
I love the same feature in my current lantern(BD Voyager), its easy to hook it up with any existing hooks/loops without the need for carabiner or s biner,simply split and insert to loop and close it.

Also I do recall few post around where to buy/reaching out to distributors around stocking up on 18650 cells.Are those still in pipeline?I need them for LT1.I just have one for now.Any good suggestion,kindly update.I know our fellow Canadians have it ,in first page…:slight_smile:

For Canadian members, i posted a source for Li-Ion 18650 who will ship across Canada in post #5328 , here> *BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020) - #5327 by DBSAR

we abandoned the separating handle idea to help keep production costs down as much as possible. I simply use a carabiner to connect any of my lanterns with a solid bail handle to a fixed line or loop.

Thanks! If V2 remains compatible with the same diffuser as V1, then if something like this is designed it would be compatible with both versions. Conceptually, you are controlling the diffusion dynamically, which can be very useful and convenient (no additional objects needed). I’m going to see about getting some flexible polarizing material and try it out.

This looks great, looking forward to it!! :beer:

Using twin polarized diffusers that can be adjusted/rotated is a great idea worth bringing here. However it is too late now to introduce this kind of idea as production is almost ready to start after so much time. Not sure how expensive this addition would be too… Please keep us posted about your tests and prototypes.

Hey guys, quick question for you all. Apologies if this isn’t the right place to ask, but I figured I would try.

After going through a recent power outage, I realized that I was woefully under-prepared in the lighting department (as the only real light I had besides my iPhone was a motion-activated nightlight and a diminutive headlamp). Hence I found r/flashlights on Reddit and eventually the BLF Q8 flashlight. I ordered one of them on Amazon, and then found this post and loved it / put my name on the list for a LT1.

So, now for the question. Seeing as I really want an LT1, do you guys recommend sticking with the Q8 as well or should I get a different non-lantern light so that I have something different? This is mostly just used in power outage situations or some light camping use (I know that the Q8 is a little overkill for that anyway, but figured I might as well get a quality product). I just feel like maybe the Q8 and the LT1 are too similar and I would potentially benefit by having some differentiation? Or I might be overthinking this all.

This might be a dumb question but apologies I didn’t go through the entire forum, can you take the diffuser off the LT1 to turn it into a “pseudo-Q8” or is the top permanently fixed on (I would think so).

Any thoughts would be really welcome.

Edit: would something like the Sofirn C8F that is on sale on Amazon for $25 do anything different aside from being cheaper?

In for one if GB still open. Thank you

Other than the battery tube, everything is different about this lantern vs the Q8.

The real answer is, you also get the lantern, a solar panel, and extra batteries. Then you will really be set. After that, bare minimum requirement is one new light/month. I think that’s the official initiation.

Nope not too late at all. I added you into the interest list but you won’t see your name on it until next Sunday’s night updates.

For any situation like a power outage, a good directional flashlight and a good sustainable lantern is really good to have both of. ( both the Q8 flashlight and the LT1 lantern) for long term outages, the lantern can sustain area & room lighting every night with a good solar charger to top up the charge each day for months (and even years) without electricity because the lantern has a great built-in charger, that can be used even to charge the Q8’s cells.

Let me start by saying I love the Q8 and anticipate loving the LT1.

Having said that, the Q8 is a large diameter and is large in the hand. IF you will definitely get the LT1, which will give you long run times, I would look at a second flashlight that is only one cell in diameter. This will be easier to hold and carry around. Your next choice at this point is throw vs. flood. Lots of options. I would look at a version of the C8 (many options out there) or a simple tube light like the Convoy C2+. Both are single cell lights.

Regarding the Sofirn C8F - I would avoid that light at this point for your use. The Sofirn C8F uses a 21700 sized cell. The LT1 (and Q8) use 4x 18650 sized cells. I would make your second light also a 18650 cell. It just makes things easier with regard to spare cells.

Note - I have a Sofirn C8F, and a Q8, and several Convoy C2+, and several different manufactures versions of the C8. No disrespect to Sofirn or 21700 cells, just suggesting you stick to a single cell size (18650) for now.

Hey DBSAR, thanks for the insight! When you mention that the LT1 can be used to charge the Q8’s cells, could you just expand on that for a second? Is that meaning a solar charger can directly charge the 18650’s that then can be used in the Q8? Also, any quick recommendation on a good solar charger (don’t mean to derail the thread, but may be helpful conversation for other newcomers).

Understood! I believe (at least in the listing that I’m looking at), the Sofirn C8F has an included adapter for 18650 cells, so could possibly fit your recommendation.

In regards to the spare cells, my little background reading indicated that the 4 Q8’s should be kept as a married set, would it be the same for the LT1 as well?

Will definitely take a look at the Convoy and thanks for the response, you guys are great.

@maxacarp, the LT1 can charge 18650 cells which could be used in your Q8. DBSAR has recommended the ECEEN 10W solar charger to a few folks,

SEE THIS POST for some links to the charger

regarding cells being a matched set, ideally this is the case, assuming you will use the Q8 at its full potential. My personal opinion, so long as you start with fully charged cells (all cells withing 0.05V of each other ) then you would be fine. The cells will deliver current based on their ability and being in parallel will load balance fine. Doing this for the LT1 would be even less important, as the current delivered by the cells to the LT1 is an order of magnitude smaller than the Q8. In rough terms, 15A will drive the Q8 near its maximum potential, and 1.5A will drive the LT1 near its maximum potential. Others may disagree, and if so that should be the topic for another thread, which could be linked to from this one.

Yes indeed, ( as the LT1 holds four 18650 cells, you can use the lantern as a 4-cell charger to charge any matched button top cells.

As for chargers, the best “small” solar folding charger i have tested and use is the 10-watt Eceen model, It has some great Youtube reviews and the best consistent ratings from buyers.

here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBCVIBK/ref=twister_B01BBCVI4C?\_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The larger 20 to 40 watt solar chargers will charge the lantern a bit faster though, and the 40-watt versiosn will charge two lanterns at the same time.

I don’t disagree with what you said, but think the question and answer miss each other. (But then again, I could be reading the question too literally.)

No, the solar charged can’t directly charge the 18650s. The solar charger plugs into the USB port on the LT1 and the LT1 has a circuit to charge the 18650s. Once charged you can use the 18650s in the Q8, the LT1, or any other flashlight.

Correct, the solar charger is a USB power supply like a wall-charger that the LT1 connects to via USB charge cord.

Some people think the cells should be kept together, some don’t. As sbslider says, this LT1 doesn’t draw as much power and it may be less of an issue.

The thing is - the LT1 (and Q8) can run on 4, or 3, or 2, or 1 cell. More cells mean longer run times (not more light). If you deplete your 4x 18650s you can always drop in a single 18650, if you have a spare charged and waiting in the wings, and continue to use the LT1.

I am also making the assumption that you can’t stop at just 2 flashlights and the common cell size will help. But your will power could be better than everyone on BLF. :open_mouth:

Yup, that’s what I figured. Thanks for clarifying the questions. Looking forward to the final product!

I’m trying to keep it to two lights as I really won’t use them all that frequently, but we’ll see how that goes…