*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Please add me to the list. Thank you!

Please add me as well, thanks!

Looks like this would be usefulā€¦please add me to the list for one.

Have tested more of the diffuser designs that I wished to count, (and abandoned all of them) some are ok, but not nearly as beneficial as a down-firing design for lantern use to minimizes eye-glare from the angles that most lanterns will be used. As Miller mentioned itā€™s a question that been answered many times. One example is i have a head i built to fit on top of a BLF SD-10 ( and other lights with the same sized head) that is very close to your drawing, but like most all types of flashlight diffuser heads of that style, sens eye-stinging glare to the eyes when carried like a lantern by a lanyard, or on a table that is lower than your horizontal plane of view. ( example, when resting on a low table beside chairs at a campsite, or a coffee table, when you look down at it you get the direct view of the LED and its piercing glare. ( which is even worse with the colder tints higher than 3700K.

Bluetooth remotes would just drive the price way to high, and to complex and a feature that many would never use. I have a couple remote control lanterns and the Manker Godmes Bluetooth flashlight. A feature rarely used.

All im looking for in a lantern is:

- 4x18650 or 4x26650 (in parallel). Would be sweet if the battery compartment would be big enough to fit 26650s.

- UBS charging port to charge cell phone etc.

- Modes ranging from 5 lumens to around 500 lumens.

ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦Just personal preferences

Please put me down as interested!

Please add me to the list

How did I do that?

I guess by pressing the letter b ?

Im interested in seeing this going to become the first BLF-special lantern. Curious how this is going to look like.

But usually I know that I did what I did. Itā€™s the not knowing that makes me wonder.

What? Why? This is BLF! Let the unnecessary posts stay I say!

Iā€™m interested as well.

Driver progress! We are still in design stage, so a few things will probably change before it is all said and done. But I am close to ordering boards and parts for a prototype.

Basic specifications for the stock setup:

• Constant current drive to LED (no PWM), 0 to 1 A (can be bumped up to about 2 A with a resistor change)
  • Output can be adjusted in firmware with 4 mA resolution (255 steps over the 1 A range)
  • Firmware is TKā€™s domain and will probably be a flavor of Anduril
  • 2 A charging via a micro USB port. Cells over-voltage protection. Proper charging profile with 128 mA pre-charge, 256 mA charge termination. 4.208 V termination voltage with 0.5% accuracy.
  • Power-bank functionality: 2.1 A output for a phone or tablet via a standard USB port
  • 90%+ efficiency for charging and power-bank output buck/boost circuits.

Bottom half is the LED driver, top half the buck charger and 5 V booster.

The board is 46 mm diameter ā€˜SRKā€™ format. It needs a brass contact ring for the cells+ contact, isolated from the board in the top quadrant. This is an unfortunate necessity due to the power-bank chipā€™s thermal requirements.

USB ports should be through-hole type for the sake of durability. Not so easy if we want to keep the 46 mm SRK format board. So at the moment they will be on a separate board, together with the diagnostic LED for power bank functionality. The bunch of small wire pads for USB interfacing may eventually get reworked to a small connector.

U3 is a precision DC opamp and does the closed-loop current control for the LED driver (driving a meaty FET in linear mode). A sense resistor creates the feedback signal. The MCU (a venerable tiny85) generates the reference signal. Driver dropout should be < 150 mV, giving regulated control down to about 3.2 V.

U4 is an all-in-one power-bank chip from TIā€™s BQ24 or BQ25 series (currently looking at the BQ25895, it is also used in the higher end Xiaomi power banks).

Add a second for me, thanks

Nice DEL!
Makes me dizzy to just see the board, and you designed it and actually know why it all is as it isā€¦

Ah and with this design, of a brass ring is soldered on it will be isolated from north?

That sounds and looks like an Ć¼ber- :sunglasses: driver DEL, so PWM-less smooth dimming plus charger plus powerbank! :heart_eyes: