*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

:+1: :smiley:

I know, it sucks here in Canada with the mail laws & regulations involving LiIon cells.

The driver designer (Lexel) can answer those questions better than i can, as i have not looked at it closely, and not really worried about it myself as all my charger sources work fine, (and i do not have any of the chargers with the type-c socket port, or the C to C cables.

Lexel can see the posts, probably send him the link in a direct message.

We need that now as an accessory for the LT1 :smiley: double all the run times!

My LT1 came in the mail today. Batteries are being charged up now.

Ordered off Amazon 10/10, arrived today exactly 2 weeks later. Lantern is awesome! Many thanks to the team!!

I don’t have my LT1 yet, but about the type-C usb brouhaha, this is my .02:

I have read some members complaining using the non-OEM cable that came with it as “not charging”.

IIRC, the complainant used a type-C/adaptor intended for a Pixel phone. I too have a type-C cable/adaptor from another company (onePlus) that has proprietary designs built-in their charging system. In the oneplus, previously they called it “Dash” charging, now they even increased the charging rate, calling it “Warp” charging. Samsung has their own ultra-fast “Adaptive fast’ charging system.

I have both used oneplus’ Dash and Warp charging and they are not even completely compatible with each other. It will only display ‘charging rapidly’ if I interchange the different adaptors and even the cables that came with the phone.

If I use some aftermarket type-C cable, it will charge my oneplus phone but at a very, very slow rate.

Now I read that Pixel phone user got his LT1 charged by using the factory cable that came with the unit.

Not surprising at all
if we just use an aftermarket ‘regular’ type-C or the cable that came with the unit, it will charge it alright, factor than any micro-USB cable.

Just avoid using ‘proprietary’ fast-charging type-C technology adaptor/cable system especially from phone companies that are now touting their ‘ultra-fast’ charging, of which the LT1 is NOT designed to work with their system and I’m quite sure we will not have a problem with the charging.

I dont think PD is ‘proprietary’
Maybe its too high end for Sofirn, or too hard
 but such is cutting edge
and future proofing

Wow! You people can make some really nice pictures (and videos)! Very nice!

Can’t wait but I must, until #17xx.

From what I’ve read, the other resistor types are used in the charger to signal to the device (power sink) what current the charger can provide. It is then the responsibility of the device to make sure not to draw more current than the charger supports. So by doing the simple/cheap fix of adding the 5.1 kΩ resistors without adding the additional sense logic, it would be up to the end-user to make sure to use a USB-C charger/source that supports at least the current that the LT1 is designed to draw (do USB-C sources that can’t provide at least 1.5A even exist? This potential safety issue may be a non-issue in practice).

Batteries charged and running. Best Lantern I have ever used. Big thanks to the LT1 team for a awesome job.

This has nothing to do with out-of-spec/non-standard chargers or cables. The LT1, without the two 5.1 kΩ resistors, will simply not work with a spec-compliant USB-C charger and a spec-compliant USB-C to USB-C cable (because under the spec there is 0V going out of charger by default).

It’s a minor issue today (since the LT1 does come with a USB-A cable that works for charging), but it’s going to be annoying a few years down the road when you can’t use the same cable as for your phone and have to remember to bring a legacy cable/adapter on your camping trip/etc.

Not that the LT1’s cable is out-of-spec, to the contrary. It’s just that the phone companies have added their own specs or features designed for their fast charging systems.

Usb-c might be the future, but I only have one device that uses it. And it came with a usb-a power supply. Most of the other stuff I have uses micro usb.

lumiere you are right!
The 5.1k should be good enough if they don’t interfere with the rest of the charging in the lantern.

For a laptop 1,5A are sometimes too much. But a dedicated charger should be OK.

I hope it is an easy fix for Sofirn and they can rework batch 2.

Similar problem. I got the same PM, asked for a code for lantern with batteries still haven't heard anything. It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow. I'm guessing we have to go the eBay or AliExpress route.

You can find the Amazon listing for the lantern here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YS9L6R1/

But it's "currently unavailable"

The included USB-A cable is fine. It’s the USB-C on the LT1 itself that is out of spec (which, to be fair, a project as prominent as Raspberry Pi didn’t get right on their latest model).

Again, this has nothing to do with phone companies. A Dell USB-C notebook charger will not work with the LT1. Neither will a Lenovo USB-C notebook charger. Nor an Apple Macbook USB-C charger. Or any other spec-compliant USB-C charger. Because the LT1 is missing the two resistors that tell spec-compliant USB-C chargers to turn on 5V output.

I really think that these ppl with non-functioning specific chargers have other chargers in their drawers/boxes that will function fine with the LT1.

We didn’t build the LT1 to have a complicated fast-charging circuitry like new phones have, we wanted to keep costs down, simple, and reliable/compatible with most possible USB power sources where a lantern is most likely to be used, (camping, off-grid, cottages, cabins, power outages, RVs, and so on where in most cases without electricity a digital/smart/fast/adaptive charger is useless and not going to be used. It was built with a proven Lithium-Ion controller chip, (TP5100) there was no slow or fast charging intended for the BLF LT1, it has a simple, regulated, Li-Ion charging system that can be configured to charge its four 18650 cells at either 0.75 amps or 1.5 amps. Using a complex, smart-fast charger will be of no different benefit to the LT1 than using a good generic 2+ Amp USB wall charger. It seems some many not understand that there was no slow or fast adaptive charging intended for the BLF LT1, it has a simple, regulated, Li-Ion charging system that can be configured to charge its four 18650 cells at either 2 different constant configurable rates, 0.75 amps or 1.5 amps, to allow some low-current remote charging systems to actually work on the LT1. I can’t see how using a complex, adaptive smart-fast charger will be of any benefit what so ever to the LT1 than using a good generic 2+ Amp USB wall charger, which as mentioned above that 99.9% of everyone has a one or two standard Wall chargers with the USB-A socket kicking around for other devices somewhere, that will work fine with the supplied cord. The only reason we went with the USB-C plug interface really because its the new plug interface, that is stronger & more durable than the Micro, and has bidirectional ability (that micro & the mini USB does not have) also that eventually everything will use a USB-C interface socket plug type.