*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

Correct. The LT1 runs the cells in Parallel, and keeps the cells all at the same voltage. I have had the same old, beat-up laptop pulls in the V1 Prototype now for 3 years, and not charged that lantern since last October. All the cells are at the same 3.71 volts now that i tested. The Production LT1 does not have thermal regulation, as it does not need it. the LEDs are at the head, while the driver and cells separated from them by the globe/shade. Also the output/amp draw of the LT1 is regulated and much lower than a hot-rod flashlight like the Q8, and even with all chips enabled, running at maximum output it stays below 70 degrees Celsius on the head/heat sink, while the driver & battery tube body remains below 35 degrees average. The LT1 being a lantern, it is designed & tested to run continuously, non-stop, at full-throttle, for hours on end & stay at a safe temperature, and stay at a linear light output for many hours, unlike a high-output flashlight with turbo mode that steps down after a few seconds or minutes, or even a flashlight running on high mode that steps down after minutes due to its thermal control, the LT1 is designed to stay at its maximum output for a long period of time (hours) before stepping down when the batteries voltage reaches discharged level.

Good info, thanks.

I suspect Sofirnā€™s anodization dilemma will be ā€˜resolvedā€™ when its existing Black stock is sold. After that colors should be available and may even be the only option since it seems most folks prefer colors if given a choice unless it is a matter of need over preference. I was on the list for three but only ordered one because I donā€™t need(or want) three black onesā€¦. Im in no hurry for my other two. Sofrin told me that dark green would be available in the next batch (no ETA) and new codes would be issued when that occurs.

Thank you for explaining, that sounds reasonable. Nice colors would give me a reason more to buy the BLF LT1.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for dark green. I like ALL the colors though and would buy even more if several colors available.

Found this on ebay ā€¦
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Gorillapod-Monopod-Flexible-Leg-Mini-Cute-octopus-Tripod-for-Camera-HolderN/192925563896

one of many mini flexible leg tripods on ebay. Looks like it will do what you want.

Iā€™ve been playing with my first LT1 for about a week, canā€™t find anything to complain about. Congrats to DBSAR for driving the project forward for years to a very successful conclusion, and all of the other participating members and to Sofirn for their great execution of the design. Those Sanyo ZL2 cells I mentioned earlier fit in my lantern without issue.

There is currently a flash sale going on at Liion Wholesale, of special interest for the LT1 is the LG MJ1 unprotected button top 10A 3500mAH cell for only $3.49 ea. U.S. and Canada only.

Much gratitude goes out to everyone involved in making this lantern happen- I love it! Thanks DBSAR for designing such a nice lantern and pushing so hard to make it happen, and much respect to sofirn for working with blf so closely and making such a nice, well built end product.

I have been using my lanterns every single day whether it is in part of my as-yet-unfinished house, or out in my barn with the momma goats that are kidding right now in negative 4Ā°f cold, serving as their night light from dusk till dawn and for when Iā€™m in there assisting with births.

I have been looking for a lantern like this for a long time, and the fact is there was nothing I considered good enough to buy so I just used flashlights.

There will eventually be 10 purchased by me- for myself, and friends/ family.

The only thing it doesnā€™t do that I wish it did is to serve as a usb power bank.

:+1: :smiley: :beer:

-

That is great news. This is a fantastic and useful lantern and dark green is my first choice. Only ordered one black waiting for it.

0.1V

Internal resistance from batteries can NOT be measured with an multimeter ohm meter, no decimal point shift trick neither anything else , it just doesn't work at all.

Sorry no time to elaborate now ;)

Its few days now, got hands on LT1.I definitely feel its best value for my money.
Thank you @DBSAR and other awesome folks who helped to put this fine product.

Does the LT1 produce color temperature of daylight?If I recall reading here,bridging only increase the lumens. This is what it PCB looks like currently and I have plans to bridge.

I have a GorillaPod (original flexible tripod) and its a perfect fit to the base plate screw hole,if anyone is wondering .I think the LT1 and tripod,would be perfect companion to my next camping trip.

fwiwā€¦ that was a couple months ago in a PM. Hopefully that is still the case. :disguised_face:

Ok thanks.

The xtar VP4 plus dragon charger I got claims to be able to test internal resistance with the probes. Are you saying that canā€™t test that either?

So what test would show if a new battery is good or not? Continuity?
Would a continuity test work with a protected cell?

Took this question to rechargeable battery thread.

@ sueli, I donā€™t know your charger, but on mine the display had voltage, then you change the display and it will have capacity, then change the display and it will have the cell resistance. You canā€™t use a meter to test a cell except for voltage (NOT CONTINUITY). No continuity test for a protected cell, or a not protected cell.

Daylight has a range of color temperature, (with the sun emitting the near perfect 100 CRI at the equator at high-noon) the color temperature of daylight can vary a lot depending on the location you live, time of day, time of year, and weather conditions. High noon can be as high as 5700K, while sunset can be as low as 3800K. The LT1 can produce anywhere between 2700K up to 5000K with high CRI LEDs it uses. (depending on the tint setting you prefer.

Okay, thanks.

My charger says it can test voltage and resistance. So it displays voltage first, then resistance. The resistance voltage test doesnā€™t seem to be consistent, or really work on these batteries.

I was just trying to test if the batteries I got were good or not before throwing them in the charger and running them.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I noticed some of my batteries were rattling in my second LT1 and it looks like the springs are super compressed.

I just checked mine, and they are all the exact same length. The cells are almost all completely level on top.
Looks like some of these have some quality control issues. Iā€™d ask for a replacement bottom spring to be sent to you.