BLF Special Edition X6 Pics/Comparison/Data/etc

Well done!

:quest:
I’m holding one in each hand. The quality is overall better in the sample. Tighter tolerances on the threads. Better ano match. Everything else is practically the same level of quality comparing the two against each other.

The one thing of poor quality is the copper star; however, this is not the star that will be in the final product , and we knew this was the case before the samples were sent out.

The production lights will have copper stars from a respected manufacturer. A special run made FOR this light.

Edit: correction

Ain’t that the problem with OL’s GB as well…will NOT be happy if there are some good and crap ones mixed in from a different manufacturer…not happy at all

We want moderate quality inexpensive, not crap on the cheap

With that said, I am mega stoked on this GB…I hope hope hope its a good solid BLF group buy, this is the first one I have seen that seems like the seller/manufacturer are on the same page, sure it will cost more, but with many of us buying them I see no reason why quality and quantity can be met

I wasn’t sure if that was a surprise or not so I refrained from mentioning it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, updated Post #1 BLF Special Edition X6 Pics/Comparison/Data/etc with the installed noctigon pic and some beamshots. I was getting slowly murdered by mosquitoes being that close to the water on a hot summer night with bright light sources to boot. I was a bit rushed to say the least. :smiley: I’ll look around for some new spots for beamshots and see if I find anything interesting.

Is 5 mode absolutely locked in? Any chance to solder stars for a 3 mode?

3 modes is fine to me with no memory, 5 modes is a stretch for having no memory -- just an opinion... I'll buy them any which way though... Too much value here on this group buy BLF light in general not to buy them over mode issues.

I think the turbo timeout results in losing a mode, basically. If they can't do a true moonlight mode, then lo-med-hi is fine, but if they insist on turbo timeout, dropping all the way down to a respectable medium (20%-32%) is a big drop and not necessary. I'd rather see a turbo timeout drop to 50%, but don't make 50% a selectable mode, therefore you aren't adding a wasted mode in the UI selection sequence.

(Edited post - sorry)

If they’re using the original MCU then unlikely. I tried every combo possible (that didn’t cause a dead short) of pulling pins up and down to try to drop the flashies and/or change memory and nothing worked (tho pulling one pin down added several more “modes”)

Yeah I saw it too

Maybe I’m missing something,but are you getting less lux and lumens with the SE AR coated lens compared to the standard?

Indeed you are correct. The current sourced AR lens has been determined to be subpar.

So hopefully they’ll upgrade the specs, or change the supplier for the lenses.Thanks for the review.

Boy, I thought it was me! I can attest there are pretty bad AR lens out there. You think you are getting a great deal... It's rare to find a $2 - $4 AR lens that works well. It also could be the lens is not clean. I've seen myself, and posted here on BLF how a proper cleaning of stock and AR lens improves results, so it's certainly possible the stock lens is clean whiel the AR lens may have some oil or film on it - maybe from shipping, maybe from the source.

So if they are trying to pawn off non AR coated lenses as coated i wonder what other tricks are up their sleeve

Can anyone measure the diameter of the lens, so we can see if there are actual coated lenses out there?

I had not thought of that. I will give them both a soapy cleaning and retest. I’ll measure the dimensions as well.

Might consider saving a $ on this GB and just using the stock lens as well.
Those who want to squeeze a few extra lumen can order a premium multi-coated ultra-clear lens at the premium price required.

Its not just the lens that is of concern. If you could please, swap reflectors between lights with lenses removed and remeasure lux. Ive found that nearly identical reflectors can account for more than 20% loss in lux even though they might look very similar.

Not sure where the thread is, but a guy did this crazy detailed comprehensive test of P60's, including AR vs stock lens, SMO vs. OP, different bezels, etc. Really in depth, quite informative.

The AR lens in the sample has a blue reflectivity to it instead of the more common green or purple hue. I suspect that with the cool white emitter, the AR is blocking some of the blue light trying to come through.

I too found better results with a stock clear glass lens than this sample AR, but neither did as well as the UCLp lens.

All mine are cleaned with high quality photographic lens cleaning solution and examined to be free of film, lint or smudges of any kind.

So, which lens will be requested for the final run? And how will the possibly leaking head o-ring issue be resolved?