BOX-O-LIGHT HID/LED Entry (Handmade/Scratch Contest)

Shower of power. Another unique idea. Way to pull it off.

Thank you guys sorry I haven’t updated it out answered questions life has been pretty hectic lately. I have found a reflector to tame this beast of an LED. I’ll try to post some pictures and info.

Useful concept nicely putted in practice. I would love to know how much the hid throw?

Check out post #2 for some update pics and info!!!

The reflector makes a huge difference with this CXA LED… Over 65K Lux!

This Box-O-Light doesn’t blow anything out of the water but it stands it own against some two of the most repsected lights we have come to love.

I plan on getting some night shots when it gets dark tonight!

Thanks for the night shots. The new reflector looks like its doing its job nicely. Your certainly cranking out some quality light.

Thank you! My end goal is to get the CXA to get around the same kind of lux as the HID. I have a couple different methods I want to try it’s just time and finances holding me back lol.

Checkout Post #2 for some night shots!!!

Here is a Box-O-Light sample

Order (no reflector, no reflector zoomed, reflector, reflector zoomed, HID, HID zoomed)

Here is another GIF i made comparing the lights. If you notice everything is lit up on with the box-o-light

Also here is a quick video of the led w/ reflector

So if i get it right the led throw around 70 klux and the hid a little bit more than that? In the video the light looks really powerfull.

Awesome! F...... awesome output :-)

The LED light is very powerful….I did some more lux readings to show its floody hot spot lol compared to the TK75. I did multiple readings to demonstrate through the hotspot. The measurements were taken from a distance of 3m. I then moved the meter to both sides 6” and 12” and recorded the reading. Yeah i mixed my units so .1524m and .3048m lol. Also I know that moving the meter left and right changes the distance from the LED to the meter… these measurements are just to show a rough estimate.

The TK75 readings from left to right in 6” increments through the Hotspot.

13320, 80730, 132030, 76860, 13590

The CXA with reflector from left to right in 6” increments through the hotspot.

42930, 63360, 71730, 60840, 36900

Looking from photos of the reflector on the led i was under impression that the led sits lower than it should to give max focus. and in fact the numbers tell a very low changing gradient from spot in the led case. TK75 have three leds focused in one spot and still the spot is more than 10x stronger than the rest of illuminated field. I think you can try to squeeze little bit more throw from led if you try to focus more, still i believe your led is more suitable for a big wall of light with a lot of spill. it maybe not break records in lux numbers but for sure is more than respectable regarding total lumen it gave. Throw is a thing that HID manage very well and in fact both i think make a perfect combo in your Box-O-Light.
thank you for measurements i always enjoy them together with photos of beam shots.

Getting lux readings like an HID is probably setting the bar a little high but if I could get around 100klux while outputting 9000+ Lumens I would be more then satisfied.

Great build and very outside the box thinking, love it.

Nice job ! :slight_smile: looks very military.