Brass lined wood battery tubes?

For how many cells? 1 x 18650, 2 x 18500, 2 x 18650?

I just think it would look wonderful!

I think many different woods would look great if done well. Solarforce has part of the tube milled as part of the head so either a shorter piece of wood or a break in it. Harder to do but still possible.

Beautiful

On the example in the op the copper is lacquer coated as well so I’m hoping it stays bright. Alp88 would be the one to know though.

How about making a sleeve for one of the BLF Nichia SS tube lights . . .

I looked at the 348 and I don’t think I can match that OD and SS is a bit difficult to adapt my methods to. I can however either do this to many aluminum hosts or make one from scratch out of brass. Obviously, scratch built won’t be as well machined though. At the moment I’m working on test pieces for an A6 and X6(the A6 for 1 x 18650 and the X6 for 2 x 18650 or possibly 18500), both in oak. Some hosts I can also convert from twisty to tail clicky or shorten to 10180. It’s all pretty simple, just tedious. I’ll post updates on the samples as they progress. Right now it’s just two chunks of wood and some brass tubes.

The short A6 tubes allow you to do this while keeping the stock 18650 tube untouched in case you (or I) screw this up. I started by cutting a section of brass tube a few mm longer than my A6 tube and reaming the A6 tube until the brass was a snug but not forced slip fit. Earlier in the day I had cut a length of oak also a few mm longer than I need and a bit larger in cross section than the battery tube and drilled a small pilot hole lengthwise down the center. Yet another use for moon mode. Then it was just a matter of connecting the dots with first a step drill and then a 3/4 forstner bit. After some sanding to smooth and finish the bore it was coated on the ends and inside with an epoxy sealer. This will prevent the JB Weld from staining the oak and strengthen the wood and bond as well.

in a day or two I’ll JB the brass into the wood and get it mounted for turning. I’ll cut the shorty tube and epoxy the threaded ends onto the brass later.

Here is the brass tube JB welded into the oak. I used my A6 on moon mode to illuminate the end grain.

How did you get the short battery tube inside the wood?

The pictures are out of order. I planted it in the tree when I was 4 then drilled through it to install the brass of course.

Seriously thanks for the update. Watching the master with interest.

That looks very nice and classy, Rufus, well done! I can hardly imagine how many hours went into this project overall… but that might be because I’m in no way a plastic artist.

Any plans on making an all-wood light with no external metal parts in the future? Wink wink nudge nudge :wink:

Thanks. I often end up pouring 100+ hours into one of those DIY projects. All wood?, it’s bound to happen at some point. I’m certainly open to personalized builds, ask Dbcstm. The problem with all wood is the heat. Maybe just some fins showing?

The blast cabinet arrived today. Eager to turn good wood into scrap but still waiting on the white 180.

Heat? I see, you’ve got a point there. Didn’t consider it because I was thinking of a torch that would sacrifice sheer output for crazy long runtimes. But that’s little to no fun for a custom builder, is it?

For some certainly, for me it’s a matter of designing to a purpose even though that can be limiting some times.

Interesting to hear that, it’s a bit out of the norm from what I’ve seen of modders thus far. I like your style :davie:

My problem is, the way I see the light trading power for battery life, it would be 100% utility, and I’m not sure a wooden exterior would lend itself to that role. I could be wrong; I’m just going on my own knowledge about materials.

Wood can be very utilitarian or very swank, it’s up to you. My wood handled hammer has lots of nicks and stains but still drives a nail.

+1 on this, and +1 for one of my favorite woods. It’s also a great way to get really good with a skew chisel on your lathe. Keep your tools uber-sharp and don’t waste your time sanding — a careful skew cut can be awesome on this wood… Until you tear out a chunk!

And this is quite hard enough to make a good EDC work light, IMNERHO.

Here’s what I wish I could do with wood:

Make the wooden part into a big Touch Switch.

A cut-off tool or a skew chisel could make grooves, close together of course, then drill out the holes for the wires at the end… The touch driver would have to be fitted in somewhere… If you want the flashlight to come on, just pick it up!

Maybe you’ve inspired me to make one, or maybe someone else will; it just seems too geeky not to share…

I’ll be looking forward to lurking here to keep up with your thread! A 502b never looked so good!!!

PM sent…