BTU PK26 CREE XHP35 20W MINI Pocket Rocket

Got mine yesterday as well.

• The pre-flash when turning it on is very annoying.
  • Neither my Shockli 4200mah nor KeepPower 5200mah (both *un*protected) fit without backing out the threads to the point where the o-ring doesn’t make contact. I wish they had used springs (bypassed if necessary) to better accommodate different size batteries rather than the flat contacts.

I like the form factor, especially with 26350, but it could be improved by fixing the issues above.

On the german forum the first impressions are not really good as well, the anodizing and quality is pretty rough and the indicator light isnt working at all

Oh boy. I read the review and comments on the German forum - doesn't sound good .

The battery size problem is worse than I thought. I didn't see any measurements taken, but clearly they tried unprotected cells that did not fit, and sounds like there's no springs, which practically leaves you with a very small range of cell sizes that will fit.

CNQ, MtnE, and BangGood are selling/shipping them now, so there are many on the way to customers. Looks like saypat has a review coming soon here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/40981. RIC sent me one to review as well, but it got sent out late, then held up in customs. At this point, I dunno if it's on the way or not, but it would ship DHL so should go quick, if it clears.

Bad news!

yep, my thoughts and pictures are up now! Thanks for the link Tom.

Richard’s take……

FWIW I think it’s a pretty nice light. A few thoughts:

Pros

Nice balanced beam, even with HI version.
Nice tint on both CW and NW versions—-nothing nasty.
Decent surface finish (seems like it is fairly hard). Not super flat, so it won’t show marks quite as bad as some.
Switch light not too bright (maybe almost a bit too dark, see below)
Nice level spacing (you can actually tell it changed modes!)
Really sweet form factor, especially with the 26350 tube. That is what really makes this special IMO.
Easy lockout function.

Cons

Pre-flash when you first turn the light on.
26650 battery tube is a bit shorter than I’d like to see. It still works with all the unprotected 26650 I have tried it with, but you may not be able to screw it on all the way. I was able to get it over the o-ring so it is OK, but I think that a bit longer tube would be nice.
Button light is really dark. This can be a pro or a con depending on your preference, but it is barely visible unless completely dark. The button is not really translucent, so most of the light is from what leaks out of the edges.

Agree. Pre-ordered from Richard at MtnElectronics with a 26350 …. received Wed Aug 3rd. Pre-Flash is annoying but not a deal breaker for me.

Wish they had used springs too. On the bright side, I also ordered two Shockli 3500 26650’s (slightly shorter than 4200’s) and they fit well.

Lubed and worked the threads on all joints until they screwed on smoothly as well for just a few minutes work. Have no measuring capability for the 26350 cell received and no markings on the cell itself, I wonder what it’s specs are other than >15A draw.

Satisfied with this light in all other respects. Nice design.

Good to read of some neutral-to-good news on this light.

There for a while, I was (and still am) resigned to pay the risk price for being an “early adopter.” (Cometa, for me, was a good lesson while I sat in the stands as a spectator.) I usually wait for a few reviews, specs and beam shots, but pulled the trigger early on this one.

Yet to receive mine, but subtly relieved for now.

I need to learn to be patient.
26650’s that dont fit well, have to back out threads….
My crooked ass switch….The FLASH!…lol…geeze.

I love the style of the light tho…

But why would these lights still be sold if the sellers new about that “Flash”?

I’ve seen the flash issue in quite a few lights, even $100+ lights.

chooma - I haven't gotten the PK26 yet, but when I do, I'll look at the switch carefully to try and understand what problem you are having with it. No one else seems to be mentioning it, so might just be your piece, and if so, might be easily fixable. Did you try contacting Richard yet? He would hopefully have one he could use as a reference. Pictures may help as well.

Hi Tom,

I emaild Richard yesterday I have not heard from him yet.
I want to open it up and look at the switch but I want to wait for a response from mtn.

I like this light has nice throw.

chooma - rcv'd mine today. I opened it up, of course, just gotta see what makes them tic. I got a NW HI. The switch is mounted on the driver at a right angle. These switch types can fail, from my experiences. They can be tilted back, eventually not engage. Not sure exactly what sort of problem yours has - could be the rubber cover. Here's pics to show what I'm talking about:

The switch is only supported on the bottom, so pressure on the switch can lead to the front of the switch picking up off the PCB. Usually not much is holding them down - couple dabs of solder. I've fixed these couple of ways - building up the solder in the front, and adding some J-B Weld or equivalent on the backside. This driver has parts really close to the backside though. I already reported this to RIC this evening - he was asking for my impressions, and gave him a list . Still though, overall I'm impressed - I like the design, the feel in the hand, the finish feels really good, square threads all-around,. I got mine in that champagne color. I lubed all the thread connections though, so as not to do any damage to the O-rings. On mine, the tail end is perfectly flat - no dimple at all

I like that from OFF, you can dbl-click to turbo, then 1 click turns the light OFF - no pre-flash this way also.

Hi Tom… Thanks for the tip on accessing turbo from off, and then a 1 click to off, nice.

On Ric’s site he has this about the light:

5. Digital Lock-on function ; Tailcap Lock-on Function; Can lock the flashlight to avoid acciddental turn-on when putting it in pocket or bags.

is there an electronic lock-out on this light?

thanks for your thoughts.

patrick

Ahh, nope! It doesn't work as described. I reported it to RIC already. The tailcap loosening works, but takes a couple turns.

Nice work Tom`.

Just posted a PK26 review - actually still updating it: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/41027

Yea Tom, thanks for that tip. I think Ill just leave the switch alone. It’s only annoying to my eye…lol Functionally it’s fine.

I’m learning what I might recieve in a budget light

Scary thing is you just might get the same issues in a not-so budget light - some of us have. Good thing is the PK26 is fully serviceable and moddable. Other makers use some nasty glue or LokTite, making tweaks hard or impossible. I did some basic things, like cleaning up the threads, on the PK26 and pretty happy with it now.

Hold the switch for 3 seconds to lockout the light; Repeat the operation to unlock it.

Ric