Budget LED flashlights for C-cells or D-cells for under 20 $? Suggestions? Update: With self-built 4xAA XP-G R5

The problem with a in-line design is that it's quite long and large for 4AA. 4AA in a holder is just barely larger than would fit in a D size tube.

It might be good if there's the flexibility of 2-4AA, but that would require a buck/boost driver. The smallsun 4AA video above shows at least that light is poorly regulated. It is direct drive or something? Hardly any light at 2AA, and probably burns the emitter at 4?

That was exactly why I made the Solarfarce Extreme (18P) - so that I'm always in the buck voltage range, even with NiMh (4 x 1.2V = 4.8V full, 4 x 0.9 V = 3.6 V empty) and can use standard high voltage drivers (designed for 2 cells LI-ION) and XP-G R5's driven hard. Low voltage drop-ins or drivers with such high output are very rare.. to none existent. This light is still tiny compared to a MAG 3D, but it has multiple times the output. When the parts for it arrived and I put them together for the first time... I thought - OMG that's way too big... now after 2 days it is my absolute favourite in my collection. Actually ... just holding it is nice... this is what I meant in the first post... D-cell Maglites are big, but the proportions are right. My L2R feels "wrong" ... the Solarfarce Extreme feels "right", I can't explain it better.

If anyone knows such a driver you mentioned, I need the link. The fitting spacer is already there for a 2xAA setup (9P).

The Superfire above on the pictures is made this way. I have got the whole idea from old's Superfire mod on jayki.com .

I have received 2 meters (6.56 feet) of that inner spacing tube... I could now play a nice game of "my flashlight is longer than yours" but my 14 * AA Eneloops wouldn't be enough.

Add 2 more AA's and it'll look like a mini baton... I like it. Heck, might as well add 4 more to get the total effect. Its hard to beat the power potential, usefulness and form factor of 18650's, especially 2 of them in series. Still, you succeeded in creating a fairly versatile medium sized light that will prove useful under a wide range of situations.

I wonder if midget policemen would appreciate something like this? -just kidding!

A picture with a new perspective... it doesn't seem this big any more.

MAG 3D (not mine), Solarfarce Extreme, Ultrafire WF-501B (not mine)

You could always store it in the 3D :D

How did you get a photo that makes the 3D appear to have a bend in it? Or is it just my eyes?

lens barrel distortion

happens on spherics :)

I'm just that strong... flimsy Mags. It bends under my sheer force.

Photo was taken with a Canon IXUS 80 IS still in macro mode. Should have taken normal mode.

I'm not the biggest fan of matryoshka doll storage methods.

Do not try and bend the maglite. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize that it is not the maglite that bends, it is only yourself.

ok matrix dude...

Haha, yep, I altered Don's reality, to the point where he thinks there is a curve in the Mag. I did the same thing with the spoon.

So there is no Maglite? ;)

Exactly..omg this is f***ing nerd sh** .

This is better

If he would rap... no one would notice his tics.

If you wanna have a 4xAA XP-G R5 but don't want to solder your own dropin, this might be the easiest/cheapest way:

1x L2 Cree XP-G R5 5-Mode with Extension Tube 23.99

1x Solarforce L2 Flashlight Extension Tube(Silver Gray) 4.66

1x spacertube 18/15 mm diameter ? (I got mine on Ebay as mentioned before)

for battery spacers, you can go down to the home improvment store, and they usually have something in whatever material (pvc, pipe/hose, etc) to accomodate you.

In Germany it is actually kind of difficult to find something out of metal/plastic with 18/15 mm diameter for a cheap price.

I thought you guys were all technical and good at making stuff? :)

USA! USA!

That britelumens plug is really dumb. Why would you not buy a SSR-50/90 if doing it yourself?

I mean, it's as if luminus anticipated the need for a ready to go solution, and made a part specially for it, and then these clowns figured the real engineers were joking and make an adapter that can easily screw up a $50 emitter, for the lulz.

But we were never cheap. If you want high quality and high priced mechanical engineering... then come to Germany. If you want dirt cheap solutions it gets a bit harder to find stuff. Especially the postal service here is totally overpriced. I wouldn't want my spacer to be more expensive than the actual flashlight.

BTW 100 posts